Griffith waived....that's the move you make---seriously?

matter2003

E-Rod is an NHL player imo.

I agree. He is not a top 6 player, but he has shown that he has the speed, game and moxie to contribute in the NHL consistently. Calling him up will improve our forward depth. The question is will Jbot recall him. Jbot has been very clear he wants to build a winner in Rochester. Right now the Sabres stink and the Amerks look good. ERod could become a leader for the Amerks this season and help them become a real contenders. So what’s better for the organization; ERod helping a terrible team to become only slightly less terrible in Buffalo or Erod helping a good team in Rochester to get even better?

I agree. He is not a top 6 player, but he has shown that he has the speed, game and moxie to contribute in the NHL consistently. Calling him up will improve our forward depth. The question is will Jbot recall him. Jbot has been very clear he wants to build a winner in Rochester. Right now the Sabres stink and the Amerks look good. ERod could become a leader for the Amerks this season and help them become a real contenders. So what’s better for the organization; ERod helping a terrible team to become only slightly less terrible in Buffalo or Erod helping a good team in Rochester to get even better?

This is what the Sabres faithful have to get their head around:  JBot is not going to bring ERod up to the NHL to get waived every other night and log 8 minutes when he does play.  Criscuolo as a career AHLer providing NHL depth is better for that job.  Crisco is not part of the long term picture and is mature as a prospect so having him ride the pine is not going to affect his development.  At worst he fills in a spot on the roster occasionally.  At best he surprises and establishes that he is, in fact, an NHLer. 

ERod, on the other hand, may be part of the long term Sabres future.  A couple years out of college, he's probably mature enough in his development to play at the NHL level, but he's also mature enough to be a leader in Rochester, filling a need in JBot's desire to build from the AHL up.  He likely is, and should be, part of the infusion of forwards that makes the leap to the NHL as a unit.

The Sabres will no longer grasp at straws to try to get better this year.  The big jump will come next year.  Out of those 10 new Sabres on the opening night roster, at least half will be gone by next year, possibly 6 of them will be gone by the end of this year/beginning of next.  Aside form the obvious building blocks on defense, it's possibly the only new forward the Sabres roster next year is Pommer.  That will leave big blocks of roster available for prospects to move up to the NHL as a group next year.  I wouldn't be surprised if the entire second-team power play next year is playing in Rochester this year.

I don't think Housley is purposely tanking, and I think he understands what JBot is doing.  I expect HCPH to try his damnedest to win with the roster he has, although his primary focus is completing the development of players like Girgs, Risto, Sam and Jack that could have benefited by more time in the AHL.  The winning culture is not going to be winning at all cost in the shortest timespan; it will be a measured approach that will favor long term success next year and for seasons to come.

So don't hope for ERod over Crisco, cuz that's not how the New Sabres operate.

Criscuolo is 123% better than Griffith.  At least he looks like an NHLer out there.

^ Grammar Doosh.  :P

The way I see it, Nolan, Larsson, Griffith, Girgs, Josefson, Moulson, Rodriguez, Crisco are all basically the same. All forwards who rarely score 5-on-5. We can argue about which offers more in terms of defense and checking... but none of these guys are going to contribute much offensively.

And, considering we're the worst offensive team in the league...

Edited by Potato

This is what the Sabres faithful have to get their head around:  JBot is not going to bring ERod up to the NHL to get waived every other night and log 8 minutes when he does play.  Criscuolo as a career AHLer providing NHL depth is better for that job.  Crisco is not part of the long term picture and is mature as a prospect so having him ride the pine is not going to affect his development.  At worst he fills in a spot on the roster occasionally.  At best he surprises and establishes that he is, in fact, an NHLer. 

ERod, on the other hand, may be part of the long term Sabres future.  A couple years out of college, he's probably mature enough in his development to play at the NHL level, but he's also mature enough to be a leader in Rochester, filling a need in JBot's desire to build from the AHL up.  He likely is, and should be, part of the infusion of forwards that makes the leap to the NHL as a unit.

The Sabres will no longer grasp at straws to try to get better this year.  The big jump will come next year.  Out of those 10 new Sabres on the opening night roster, at least half will be gone by next year, possibly 6 of them will be gone by the end of this year/beginning of next.  Aside form the obvious building blocks on defense, it's possibly the only new forward the Sabres roster next year is Pommer.  That will leave big blocks of roster available for prospects to move up to the NHL as a group next year.  I wouldn't be surprised if the entire second-team power play next year is playing in Rochester this year.

I don't think Housley is purposely tanking, and I think he understands what JBot is doing.  I expect HCPH to try his damnedest to win with the roster he has, although his primary focus is completing the development of players like Girgs, Risto, Sam and Jack that could have benefited by more time in the AHL.  The winning culture is not going to be winning at all cost in the shortest timespan; it will be a measured approach that will favor long term success next year and for seasons to come.

So don't hope for ERod over Crisco, cuz that's not how the New Sabres operate.

my head is completely wrapped and I agree with it 100% but I do think Erod gets the call up tomorrow with Josefson out long term.

my head is completely wrapped and I agree with it 100% but I do think Erod gets the call up tomorrow with Josefson out long term.

With Josefson out 4-6 weeks, I could see an ERod callup, considering they sent Griffith down.

I could also see them bringing up someone else or no one at all (hello, Matty Mo).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.