GDT: 11/17/17 Sabres at Wings. 7:30pm MSG, WGR

ubkev

Good leadership by Kane.

Once again the offense puts up one goal...

What has happened to Jack? He is on his way to finishing outside the top 50 in scoring. We are screwed when that contract kicks in if he plays like this. Boston sleeper agent sent in to ensure we suck?

I don't know that I've ever done such a quick 180 in realizing I was so wrong about something I was so sure about sports wise. If I'm remembering correctly, dudacek often spoke to the idea that there was no rush to annoint Jack with a contract so huge. I was 100% in favour of getting him that 10 million last summer. I'm in no way saying he won't get there, won't get to deserving it. But holy heck should we have waited. That's easy to say in retrospect, but how likely is it he would have outperformed that 10 mil level this year, and earned more, had Botterill waited till he was an RFA?

He's on target to be the 5th highest paid player in the NHL next season. How much does he command if he finishes this year at his current pace of 22 goals and 69 points?

Maybe Jack busts his ass if he doesn't already have the big $ locked up, but I bet you now Botterill is getting into the early stages of contemplating a mulligan on the timing of that deal. Not that Jack isn't going to be a 10 million dollar guy eventually. But he may be thinking he could have saved a pretty penny.

This isn't fun any more. 

I've been a fan since the 70s. Maybe that's long enough. 

Stay a fan, but many of us may need a break... but this is supposed to be my break from reality.... I will continue to follow... but slowly weening myself off... till they get some more talent...

I am concerned that we have so much money tied up in a core of guys that this team's future success over the next decade could rest with them. Right now it's looking very questionable. It is what it is. Hate to say this but right now Jack is not a ten million dollar player. Not sure you get equal value even in trade for any of our guys. Kane right now may be the only real option to bring in anyone significant and you lose what little offense we've had. Their in a tough position. I wouldn't want JBots job.

Didn't you know once the Sabres score one, that's it?  They must lead the league with the most 1-goal games the last 5 years.

It's almost like you're a... goaltender.

I rag on Kane a lot but I'll be very sad if we lose him.

That'll be a tough sell to the 99% of the fan base that won't have any clue why he's gone.

Jack stops skating as soon as he gets the puck now, it's like he's taken the "slow the game down" meme to ridiculous levels. He used to blow by people, he doesn't even try it anymore.

I noticed this also. Get the puck and move your feet forward. By the time he gets moving the defenders are all back. Someone needs to talk to him about that. It's just a bad habit he has gotten into

There was a decade without a playoff series win back then, too.

And that ended with the Mayday goal, right?

Gees, these decades of losing, smh

i thought the sabres played good until they didnt. when they didnt it seemed like they just gave up? i dont know. its like they are 2 different teams in the same game

I felt the same way about the game last night. I know this may sound weird, but other than the part that sucked, it was a pretty good game. With all the new parts, I think (hope) the team is still coalescing and will eventually have more good spells than bad. Jack being invisible does have me concerned, though.

What have we done to deserve 2 teams like this? Why do our teams suck all the time? All I ask is for is competitive teams and a playoff game once in a while

We should root for losing some more.  :rolleyes:

Edited by We've

What have we done to deserve 2 teams like this? Why do our teams suck all the time? All I ask is for is competitive teams and a playoff game once in a while

Me too. Starts from the top. But I look at 2 major spots for both squads. The GM, and the scouting department. If you have good scouts you can find the talent and then if you have a good GM who can make the moves to acquire these players. Yes I know I left off the coaching department which plays an important role of this as well.

I thought both of the goals Lehner gave up in the third were terrible.

Was there any doubt that he was going to choke in the third period of a tied game?

The Sabres have a ton of issues, but it starts with goaltending IMHO.

If Ullmark has a good first half, they should see if he can carry the mail after New Year’s.

Lehner is not the guy.

Terrible is a strong word.

A terrible goal is when the point shot goes in without a screen.

A terrible goal is when you spit out a juicy rebound on a straight-on shot into your body, not an athletic kick save from in tight, not when the goal scorer hasn’t got a checker within six feet of him.

Robin Lehner fought and spit and clawed his way through that game, battling his ass off as his defence handled the puck like a hand grenade around him. He stole at least a half-dozen goals.

I don’t think Lehner is the guy either. But he’s not the guy we should be pointing fingers at for this game or this season.

Hasek and Miller spoiled us. This is what NHL goaltending looks like for 3/4 of the league.

Phil's very old school. Coaches quit like that all the time in the old days.

What are you waiting for, an embossed invitation? There's nothing to lose in that situation. The puck goes in, Lehner comes to the bench.

You can't use LEAGUE statistics to warrant a chance for this team.  Perhaps on average to good teams it would give them a shot but the Sabres can't keep the puck in the zone when they have more guys on the ice than the other team.  They can barely do it when they have the same amount.  So, while I like all the research on pulling the goalie and I don't refute it overall, what I have not seen is research demonstrating the scoring chance when a team that plays like Buffalo pulls the goalie.   

It would seriously be a skate for Lehner to the bench and then turn right around and go back to the net like a duck in a shooting gallery

Terrible is a strong word.

A terrible goal is when the point shot goes in without a screen.

A terrible goal is when you spit out a juicy rebound on a straight-on shot into your body, not an athletic kick save from in tight, not when the goal scorer hasn’t got a checker within six feet of him.

Robin Lehner fought and spit and clawed his way through that game, battling his ass off as his defence handled the puck like a hand grenade around him. He stole at least a half-dozen goals.

I don’t think Lehner is the guy either. But he’s not the guy we should be pointing fingers at for this game or this season.

Hasek and Miller spoiled us. This is what NHL goaltending looks like for 3/4 of the league.

Well said.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.