GDT: Capitals @ Sabres, 7pm NBCSN, 11/7/17

LGR4GM

I appreciate that Jack is able to joke about his shooting. I really do think he needs to shoot more and I suspect the coaches have told him as much, if only to add some un-predictability to his game when he has the puck. If I were an opponent I would be operating under the assumption that Jack is pass-first. If he can dispel that notion simply by shooting once or twice more per game, I think that'll open up some space for his passing game. 

I'm not so sure.  They know he has a great shot, very deceptive with a quick release.  In my theory of trying to enforce some discipline on Jack to play within the system, they are emphasizing the pass-first philosophy so that he can make the players around him better.  Once the team is playing within the system more naturally, they may give Jack more freedom to be creative.

I agree that shooting just a little more may open things up around him, and that may be part of his frustration if they're telling him to be a pass-first guy.  If my theory is right though I'm greatly encouraged that he's doing his best to trust the system and follow orders.  It chafes him since he knows there's so much more he can do on his own, but he understands the importance of having a well-functioning team versus a single star player.  Eventually he will reap the rewards.

He isn't going to sign here. You just want to let him walk? 

I'm not so sure.  If there is good chemistry here I could see Kane picking chemistry over money.  In Winnipeg there was bad chemistry and we know it wasn't very enjoyable for him.  If he can latch onto Jack as his perennial wingman, on-ice success and locker room chemistry may be worth a hometown discount for him.

I kind of expect the negotiations to be like they were with Jack:  "I'm not really paying attention, my agent is doing all that...." But when it gets close, if the money is within a certain range he may take it even if his agent thinks he's worth more on the open market.

The play by play guy for NBC is an idiot.

The 't' at the end of Pouliot is silent.  He is French Canadian, although born in Ontario it is a very French region close to Quebec.

You're right but it doesn't matter.  The Sabres announcers also call him Poo lee ott.

For as long as he's been in the league the T has been pronounced. Hardly the NBC guy's fault.

I looked it up.  His first team, Minnesota, pronounced the T.  In Tampa the T was suppressed.  It seems to be back.  Regardless of the "right" way to say the name, I hope the media is saying it to his preference.

My last name is a Polish name.  It is pronounced differently in Polish and English.  I grew up with the English pronunciation but I'm familiar with the Polish version and answer to either one.  For all we know Benoit is the same way.

Edited by Doohickie

I looked it up.  His first team, Minnesota, pronounced the T.  In Tampa the T was suppressed.  It seems to be back.  Regardless of the "right" way to say the name, I hope the media is saying it to his preference.

My last name is a Polish name.  It is pronounced differently in Polish and English.  I grew up with the English pronunciation but I'm familiar with the Polish version and answer to either one.  For all we know Benoit is the same way.

I'll just call him Balls 2.0

Good hustle last night from a lot of players (definitely Girgs). We don't miss anything defensively when Risto is out. I personally think he is suspect in his own zone. But, we miss his passing and offensive ability from the back-end for sure. Need him on the power play.

I'll just call him Balls 2.0

Good hustle last night from a lot of players (definitely Girgs). We don't miss anything defensively when Risto is out. I personally think he is suspect in his own zone. But, we miss his passing and offensive ability from the back-end for sure. Need him on the power play.

I think the defense was a lot better because of the forwards last night

It's funny, because I thought he was pretty bad last night.

I thought jack was really bad, too.

I'm finding hope, though, in the fact that even though our two spoils of the tank were really awful last night, we still won,… and Jack even made the great play to set up the first goal,… on a night he was awful.

Can't wait to see them when they're playing well.And happy birthday MODO!

Agree with this. Finding hope, too.

There is absolutely 0 chance he gets re-signed here. In case you haven't noticed the roster is stuck with bloated contracts from sub-par or beyond marginalized players. And while that is no fault of Kane's, its a current reality none the less.

Furthermore, you are stating draft picks in return, not I.

We don't know this to a certainty. If Botterill wants to start making his mark as a GM, maybe he should find a way to unload one of those egregious contracts to make room for the guy who's lighting it up with our Franchise centre.

---

I was watching the condensed replay of the game just now, I actually quite like the Caps announcers. His delivery on goals is super appealing. I love listening for whatever the chosen descriptor is after a goal, and his delivery.

"Fires and scores. Benoit Pouliot with a dazzling goal".

Agree with this. Finding hope, too.

We don't know this to a certainty. If Botterill wants to start making his mark as a GM, maybe he should find a way to unload one of those egregious contracts to make room for the guy who's lighting it up with our Franchise centre.

---

I was watching the condensed replay of the game just now, I actually quite like the Caps announcers. His delivery on goals is super appealing. I love listening for whatever the chosen descriptor is after a goal, and his delivery.

"Fires and scores. Benoit Pouliot with a dazzling goal".

Joe Beninati. He's brilliant but can get on your nerves in a Mike Emrick kind of way.

For as long as he's been in the league the T has been pronounced. Hardly the NBC guy's fault.

The NHL pronunciation guide has it NS' way. But not for Derrick Pouliot, just to muddy the waters.

I don't think anyone has any insight on this subject

Well, he's now listed as the top trade prospect on most NHL media sites.  I think those who hang around and talk to people have a decent take on the probability of him signing with the Sabres.  I believe it was a TSN article that mentioned Botterill and Kane's agent haven't even had talks about a contract.

Well, he's now listed as the top trade prospect on most NHL media sites.  I think those who hang around and talk to people have a decent take on the probability of him signing with the Sabres.  I believe it was a TSN article that mentioned Botterill and Kane's agent haven't even had talks about a contract.

Just keep in mind that Eichel wasn't going to be signed before the season either, then in about 24 hours it happened. 

Just keep in mind that Eichel wasn't going to be signed before the season either, then in about 24 hours it happened. 

Eichel was an RFA... he had no option to leave.  Moreover, I certainly don't believe that the contract signing of Eichel was set long in advance and that the signing announcement was planned. 

This does not surprise me. I honestly think JBot has zero intention of signing him. He'd rather be free of the baggage and the big contract and work from the ground up with the prospects he gets. So if he times it right, the better Kane is just means we might get more for him. 

This does not surprise me. I honestly think JBot has zero intention of signing him. He'd rather be free of the baggage and the big contract and work from the ground up with the prospects he gets. So if he times it right, the better Kane is just means we might get more for him. 

I also think this is the case with Pouliot.  He's going to be able to flip the two of those players for assets.  I think Kane goes earlier and grabs much more but Pouliot will pick up a draft pick or two.

Perhaps Kane's signing is dependent on other moves.  If JBot manages to move Moulson there's be a lot more cap space available for instance.  It could be that there are no talks because the table isn't set yet.

It's possible.  However I think they would have had to have conversations and there are NO indications of that yet.  You won't know what you need to sign Kane unless you ask him first right?

I'm going to say that Moulson still doesn't move until the off-season (if at all) until there's no chance he can influence a signing of Tavares.  

That was just a scenario.  It could be that JBot has a good idea of what he wants to offer Kane but the cap isn't in a position to do that yet.  There's also Reinhart to consider.  Lots of moving pieces; the fact that he hasn't talked to Kane's agent means nothing with respect to his intentions (or Kane's).

That was just a scenario.  It could be that JBot has a good idea of what he wants to offer Kane but the cap isn't in a position to do that yet.  There's also Reinhart to consider.  Lots of moving pieces; the fact that he hasn't talked to Kane's agent means nothing with respect to his intentions (or Kane's).

All scenarios where Kane is on the Sabres next year favor Botterill discussing a contract now.

The longer Botterill waits without ANY communication the more Kane thinks the Sabres are not interested or don't want to pay him.

The longer Botterill waits without ANY communication the less Kane has to wait to test the market.

Botterill can wait as long as he likes but by the time the cap is set the trade value for Kane will have diminished unless you can find someone who will sign him to what Kane wants and is where Kane wants to be.  The less time another team has Kane under contract the less valuable he becomes in a trade.  The longer Botterill waits the more another team may rightly assume that Kane is not interested in signing with the Sabres and they can low ball the trade.

If Botterill wants Kane on the team then he has to offer him a deal and make Kane think about the guaranteed money in front of him versus the market that's months out and that ANYTHING can happen between now and then to diminish his value below the contract offer.  if Botterill offers him a contract and he refuses then he knows he can trade him now for maximum value (or very soon).

I don't see any scenario where the probability of Kane remaining a Sabre is benefited by Botterill waiting to have a discussion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.