Fan Frustrations: Sabres Edition

LGR4GM

You know what, I am stepping away. 

giphy.gif

There is legitimately no hope

I'm so glad we have a professional hockey team to watch and follow. I hope they win but even if they do not I'll watch. It's NHL hockey

No offense, but forget that. I'm so sick of just being thankful to pay taxes and give them my money and emotional investment. win something already, it's not that hard

There is legitimately no hope

No offense, but forget that. I'm so sick of just being thankful to pay taxes and give them my money and emotional investment. ###### win something already, it's not that hard

Won't change my life if they win. 

I really enjoy having a team to watch I like and if they lose I turn it off. No big deal 

I want more but sadly I'm in no position to affect change.

Sure you are. I haven't bought a new jersey since Myers was a sophomore. I won't either. I stopped buying merchandise. I only go to games if someone gets me tickets. I don't have to spend my money on the Sabres.

Sure you are. I haven't bought a new jersey since Myers was a sophomore. I won't either. I stopped buying merchandise. I only go to games if someone gets me tickets. I don't have to spend my money on the Sabres.

Yeah I hear you. I have 2 brand new Sabres hats sitting in my closet that are about 8 years old. Never wear em. I got tired of trying to explain my Sabres fandom to . I swear my bro in law buys them for me just to see me squirm. He's a Bruins fan.

I want more but sadly I'm in no position to affect change.

In a way you are right, but in a way not. You can not buy tickets, cancel season tickets, stop buying merch, write to the papers, call the call in shows, if you do go to games boo more when they suck, hold up signs demanding change, maybe start wearing paper bag masks. Will it help? I dunno, but it might make you feel better in the short term, and maybe, just maybe it'll help light a fire under them. There has to be a breaking point sometime doesn't there?

How’s that working out for ya?

Has the team responded?

In a way you are right, but in a way not. You can not buy tickets, cancel season tickets, stop buying merch, write to the papers, call the call in shows, if you do go to games boo more when they suck, hold up signs demanding change, maybe start wearing paper bag masks. Will it help? I dunno, but it might make you feel better in the short term, and maybe, just maybe it'll help light a fire under them. There has to be a breaking point sometime doesn't there?

Load.

Of.

Crap.

Call the call in shows. Really? That's a sure fire way to elicit change.

What breaking point?  The underlying tone of your entire message is that somehow ownership, management, and players are all perfectly happy collecting the paycheck and aren't trying to win.  You are talking about people, who throughout their entire lives, have held themselves to a higher standard in order to excel in their profession.  Pegula wasn't gifted his business earnings in a will.  He made himself a successful business person.  Phil Housley became an All-Star defenseman because of his desire to succeed.  He debuted in the NHL at 18, very few players do that.  Even Botterill who had no NHL career still was able to make it to the NHL as a player, a feat, that despite some people's perceptions, is quite difficult.  He's managed to succeed even more inside the business of hockey.  I am sure that after leaving Pittsburgh's "culture of winning" he came to Buffalo because it was so much more acceptable to lose here.

Each player on the team puts hours of dedication into their profession.  They did not get to the NHL because they were just happy to be here.  

If you need to spend your time calling into The Instigators and writing editorials in the BN to help yourself feel better about things go for it.  Wear a bag over your head, go nuts.  I can assure you that you are in the VAST minority of people who feel this way and are bothered by what ANY sports franchise does and how it performs.

No, cause you and the rest of the "fans" haven't joined him. 

Right, well, then, keep insinuating the rest of us are losers because we don't spend time being an activist for change within the Sabres organization.  In any 24 hour period of the day there is a list of things I think about, there is a smaller list of things I actually spend energy on, and when it comes time to decide where I am going to spend energy in any given day the Buffalo Sabres don't crack the top 100.

I'm going to go spend my time today more interested in the voting outcomes for my town supervisor, for the acts of politicians who will shape how my life will be impacted, and even more importantly supporting my family and transporting my children places.  I've not the time, nor desire, to call Andrew Peters and complain about something I have no control over.

Your rhetoric is tired.  You are upset, we get it.  You are going to win over a lot of people by continuing to call them losers for "accepting" a losing hockey team. But, because I believe in redemption I will give you this offer.

If you can get a member of the Sabres management team or a player to acknowledge you by name during an interview that they changed their game or have performed better because of your public activism then I will join you.

Just make sure to post the link to the interview where Phil Housley answers the question about the SAbres turnaround and says, "Well Paul, it really began when this fan <insert name here> started a twitter campaign, and wrote an editorial in the BN, and then called into a talk show and told us that we can't accept losing anymore. He said that he wasn't going to support us anymore.  I relayed that to the team and they took it really hard.  I believe O'Reilly stood up and said, we can't let that happen.  We can't have one fan complaining about us in social media and on talk shows.  It's unacceptable.  We have to be better.  It's not about us and how we feel about the amount of time we put into being a professional hockey player.  It's about this guy and his willingness to put a bag on his head.  Yep Paul, that's what turned it around."

How’s that working out for ya?

Has the team responded?

It's more about getting the franchise to respond, ownership, the brass, the bean-counters. Terry thinks he has cover with the fan base to play this pie in the sky, torturous long game. He doesn't think Sabres fans will ever go away. But what if the bottom drops out? STHs defecting. Sponsors and advertisers canceling. Ratings plummeting. You'd have a competitive team in a hurry.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.