What Cody Hodgson didn't tell us

dudacek

For any fellow nerds interested in more about malignant hyperthermia:

https://www.my46.org/trait-document?trait=Malignant%20hyperthermia%20susceptibility&type=profile

Most people find out (too late) that they have it when they've had anesthesia for surgery, but in rare cases strenuous exercise can trigger it as well.  He is seriously lucky to be okay.T

TY for info, ps that is how my wife's cousin died... during surgery...

Minor question for the Ontarians: would Haliburton qualify as “Northern Ontario?” I tend to think of “North Ontario” as closer to Hudson Bay — but I could be out to lunch on that.

As for CH: good luck to ya, kid. I’m glad you made a good bit of cash before this was taken away from you.

Haliburton is not considered Northern Ontario.

Perry Sound area and up is the traditional cutoff point.

Some think that anything north of The Great Satan is 'Northern Ontario'.

As Neo said, Ontario is go big that one can be 3+ hours north of Toronto and still be in Southern Ontario.

If you go a bit north of Thunder Bay you are in vast areas of absolutely nothing.

If you go a bit north of Thunder Bay you are in vast areas of absolutely nothing.

I got a feeling of vast insignificance just panning around on the map at a fairly close in zoom.  Canadian provinces are huge.

Perspective:  If Texas were a Canadian province, it would be the 6th largest one.

Alaska would be the 3rd largest Canadian province.

Fairbanks, AK. It was 90 degrees and sunny. We had the windows open and the air conditioning on and were drinking gin and tonics the whole time.

Minor question for the Ontarians: would Haliburton qualify as “Northern Ontario?” I tend to think of “North Ontario” as closer to Hudson Bay — but I could be out to lunch on that.

As for CH: good luck to ya, kid. I’m glad you made a good bit of cash before this was taken away from you.

Reminds me that I always find it funny (and somewhat uninformed) when people from the City and LI call Rockland county "Upstate NY".

Edited by SwampD

London (UK) for me. Seriously, London's lattitude is in the neighborhood of Edmonton.

I have a few friends that rode motorcycles to Prudhoe Bay, AK (the furthest point North you can drive/ride in North America), one of them swam in the Arctic Ocean. I'll never be that worthy.

London (UK) for me. Seriously, London's lattitude is in the neighborhood of Edmonton.

I have a few friends that rode motorcycles to Prudhoe Bay, AK (the furthest point North you can drive/ride in North America), one of them swam in the Arctic Ocean. I'll never be that worthy.

In that case, I've been to Wales.  I guess that's further north than Montreal.

Just looked at Prudhoe Bay on the map.  That is impressive.

Did they see any White Walkers?

I'm curious: has anyone here ever seen Hudson Bay in person?

What's the furthest North anyone has been?

For me, it's Mont-Tremblant in Quebec. (Or Ireland, I suppose.)

Lake Wakimika north of North Bay and Lake Temegami

Just South of James Bay... one of those Ontario lakes you can trip and fall into another lake...

Edited by North Buffalo

In that case, I've been to Wales.  I guess that's further north than Montreal.

It's deceptive that the North Atlantic current brings a lot of heat north so the climate is much warmer than other parts of the globe at that latitude.

Just looked at Prudhoe Bay on the map.  That is impressive.

Did they see any White Walkers?

Doug had a wolf run with him for awhile on the way up, that's the closest thing I can think of. :) The last 300-400 miles of the trip are this terrible dirt road where there's no services other than a little town halfway. Definitely risky stuff. He wrote it up for the BMW Club magazine, if you're interested. He's nuts.

http://www.mac-pac.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/haul_road.pdf

I like this line, "So my theme for the trip was kept simple: ride to Prudhoe Bay, have a swim, and ride home to Philadelphia."

Edited by MattPie

It's deceptive that the North Atlantic current brings a lot of heat north so the climate is much warmer than other parts of the globe at that latitude.

Doug had a wolf run with him for awhile on the way up, that's the closest thing I can think of. :) The last 300-400 miles of the trip are this terrible dirt road where there's no services other than a little town halfway. Definitely risky stuff. He wrote it up for the BMW Club magazine, if you're interested. He's nuts.

http://www.mac-pac.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/haul_road.pdf

I like this line, "So my theme for the trip was kept simple: ride to Prudhoe Bay, have a swim, and ride home to Philadelphia."

Wow.  Awesome story.  Thanks.

Reminds me that I always find it funny (and somewhat uninformed) when people from the City and LI call Rockland county "Upstate NY".

That makes me laugh too. And, it mildly irritates me in a psychotic kind of way. Had a kid refer to I87 as the Thruway once. I almost snapped.(I know, I know, but you can't say you live right off the Thruway and then use the triborough bridge as a landmark)

TY for info, ps that is how my wife's cousin died... during surgery...

:(

Couldn't of been happening when he played for the sabres right? You can't buy out a player who is injured... I mean he could of had the symptoms and not really known anything serious but we could of just stuck him on LTIR

Hard to know, but it kind of sounds like his back injury sort of triggered it (I don't recall whether he'd had surgery at that point or not), so it's fairly likely he was struggling with it while he was with the Sabres. But even so, no one (including CoHo) knew he was "injured".

Awesome, but that guy is nuts... riding alone... his handiness to rig repairs is impressive..great read..

He is. He gave a presentation about it a few years ago at the national BMW rally in Gillette WY and then rode home, straight through 20-something hours. Someone mentioned he had a cancer scare several years ago and is in solid Carpe diem mode. Absolutely the one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, too.

Cool, dont ride bikes but my wife and I do road trips. Made Reno Nevada from NYC in 28 hours. Next morning got slowedup by some idiot in an Escalade who went off a cliff doing 55 in the snow near Donner Pass... they were caught up in a tree. Still made Berkeley in 4.5 hours...

Been across country 5 times, need to do the northern route to get to all lower 48 states.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.