WTF is wrong with this team?

matter2003

Me too. Reinhart should change his address to "opponents goal crease", and just camp out in front of every goalie if it's going to work that well. It was interesting how cognizant he was about being in Subban's sight lines, and obviously effective. Also it frustrated the goaltender, and we know as well as anyone (with Lehner) that a goalie "on tilt" can be less than ideal.

True. I remember a great sequence in Reinhart's first season where it was uncanny how well he placed himself in front of the GT on the powerplay. The puck would move from side to side and Reinhart would seamlessly move with it to be directly in the GT's sight line the entire time like a well-choreographed dance.

True. I remember a great sequence in Reinhart's first season where it was uncanny how well he placed himself in front of the GT on the powerplay. The puck would move from side to side and Reinhart would seamlessly move with it to be directly in the GT's sight line the entire time like a well-choreographed dance.

Yes. This shouldn't be some sort of revelation.

Risto is leading the league in minutes, looking bad while doing it, and ROR has the same usage as last year, though at least his minutes are down from last year. 

I was so hoping we'd left those things behind. 

At least Scandella looks good playing with Risto. We didn't anticipate the Beaulieu would look so lost and Antipin would be a healthy scratch so often.

Housley lambasted them postgame yesterday amd rightfully so.

This team wants to make you believe they work hard..well maybe at practice but apparently not watching film to understand opponent tendencies away from the rink...its easy to work hard when you are being watched...what are you doing when nobody is there to make yourself better? Apparently nothing...

Housley went off on them saying they were completely unprepared and it was an unacceptable level of preparation. He furrhee went on to say that you just csnt step on the ice and expect to win the games in the NHL and that is takes a lot of hard work and preparation on and off the ice and now the players know what to expect and there will be consequences if they dont do things the way he wants them done.

I guess we know why they look lost out there...they have no clue what the other team is doing. What an indixtment of the so called leadership...could you imagone Chris Drury ever allowing this type of thing to happen??

Add in..Kane has been a beast most games and has been the best player on the ice for us and Reinhart actually factored in on 3 of the 4 goals last night and Housley seems to be flexible enough to understand that even though he doesn't like Reinhart standing in front of the net on the PP it led to 3 goals for them last night...one by him on a tip and two more by the goalie being screened by him. Reinhart and O'Reilly both got going last night..hope that continues.

For the Sabres, it's dejavu all over again.  For how many seasons now have we been questioning the effort?

For the Sabres, it's dejavu all over again. For how many seasons now have we been questioning the effort?

Every year. As it's the go to line for all fans. It's low hanging fruit, easy to call out, hard to prove. I don't think effort is the reason for their current issues. It looks like preparation and learning the system. I'm going to give it 20 games before I harshly critique them.

When have the Sabres had 2 players in the top 10 in scoring at any point in the season?  I don't know, maybe 1993?

We have 2 now in Kane and Pominville.  They are not really a problem, or so it seems.

Actually it's 3, Eichel has 9 points as well.  The real question is which of the three will still be three at season's end?  ROR is next w 4 pts.  He is tied for 102nd behind Nail Yakupov.

Every year. As it's the go to line for all fans. It's low hanging fruit, easy to call out, hard to prove. I don't think effort is the reason for their current issues. It looks like preparation and learning the system. I'm going to give it 20 games before I harshly critique them.

Agreed and I think Phil calling them out for it... puts a bug in there ears that as professionals they need to do more and take ownership of their preparation, film, teamwork figuring out what works... As you said this is gonna take some adjustment.

When I went back to school at 48 for radiology our director commented because most of us were on 2nd careers that when she gave us an assignment we’d research it overnite and come back with questions the next day. Usually her classes are made of younger people and she had to push them to just get the basic assignment started. We would get them done early like a work project. We already knew what the basics were. This team is young, they are still trying to figure out where to start let alone what questions to ask.

So to go back to the original question, how about a one word answer: lazy. 

They are not lazy.  That would be the lazy response. There is alot of activity, some good alot bad, but very little accomplishment.  The energy has to have more direction.  That is on both the players to realize they are not executing and wanting to improve, and the coaches to have viable answers as to what to do to get more out of their games.  I'll give it 20 games.  After that we have seen the changes in the off ice personnel. The only option after that is changes to the on ice personnel. 

But they are lazy. Housley said as much in his comments (using more diplomatic words). Good effort against the Ducks followed by a complete lack of effort for 3/4 of the next game. This is not a new pattern. This team rarely comes out firing on all cylinders. Vegas isn't a better team, but they work harder with what they have. 

leafs 4 - Detroit 1 right now. Just go watch 5 minutes of this and realize just how lazy our team is. 

But they are lazy. Housley said as much in his comments (using more diplomatic words). Good effort against the Ducks followed by a complete lack of effort for 3/4 of the next game. This is not a new pattern. This team rarely comes out firing on all cylinders. Vegas isn't a better team, but they work harder with what they have. 

leafs 4 - Detroit 1 right now. Just go watch 5 minutes of this and realize just how lazy our team is. 

Totally agree.

If you go back to the first post-lockout team that team never took a shift off.  No gliding, no just pushing a guy.  They hit, they skated and ran the other team out of the building.  Admittedly there is a huge talent gap between that team and this one, but it's no excuse for the lack of effort we have seen ytd.

Totally agree.

If you go back to the first post-lockout team that team never took a shift off.  No gliding, no just pushing a guy.  They hit, they skated and ran the other team out of the building.  Admittedly there is a huge talent gap between that team and this one, but it's no excuse for the lack of effort we have seen ytd.

It took me two seconds to find this thread from that season: https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/458-restful-effort/

Posters bitching about the team not trying. 

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/464-sabres-now-in-last-place-2pts-out-of-1st/A woe is me, we're in last place thread from October 27th.

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/550-the-blueliners-are-not-cutting-it/Discussion about how that blueline is not good enough to make it to the playoffs, let alone go far in the playoffs.

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/543-another-ugly-one/A poster sad about how soft they are after yet another ugly performance.

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/520-terrible-3rd-period-team/A thread about how bad we were in the third periods. " you can manipulate stats which ever way you guys like... fact remains were fast approaching .500 hockey... or worse... look out atlanta... here we come.. "

My point with posting these is not that the Sabres are due to replicate that season, but that certain posters act as if they'd be different posters if the team would just try and be better and times weren't so tough and yaddah yaddah, but I don't believe them. I believe those certain posters are today's equivalent of these guys. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

It took me two seconds to find this thread from that season: https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/458-restful-effort/

Posters bitching about the team not trying. 

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/464-sabres-now-in-last-place-2pts-out-of-1st/A woe is me, we're in last place thread from October 27th.

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/550-the-blueliners-are-not-cutting-it/Discussion about how that blueline is not good enough to make it to the playoffs, let alone go far in the playoffs.

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/543-another-ugly-one/A poster sad about how soft they are after yet another ugly performance.

https://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/520-terrible-3rd-period-team/A thread about how bad we were in the third periods. " you can manipulate stats which ever way you guys like... fact remains were fast approaching .500 hockey... or worse... look out atlanta... here we come.. "

My point with posting these is not that the Sabres are due to replicate that season, but that certain posters act as if they'd be different posters if the team would just try and be better and times weren't so tough and yaddah yaddah, but I don't believe them. I believe those certain posters are today's equivalent of these guys. 

(Sorry inkman, I think one of those threads is yours :lol: )

i wasn't posting then, but what I remember that season was looking forward to each game.  I remember the great PK that you knew they weren't going to give up a goal. I remember the combacks and the how inevitable each game felt as the season progressed.  

I just don't see the consistent effort and haven't for years.

i wasn't posting then, but what I remember that season was looking forward to each game.  I remember the great PK that you knew they weren't going to give up a goal. I remember the combacks and the how inevitable each game felt as the season progressed.  

I just don't see the consistent effort and haven't for years.

In October nobody felt that way, because they were below .500 and hemorrhaging leads until November. 

This board will look almost exactly the same when we're a good team and it'll be the same suspects, and then ten years later they'll claim how much they loved that team for all of the reasons which are the opposite of what they bitched about ten years ago concerning those very same teams

And I don't mean to accuse you of that, there are other people I have in mind. Your post was just a perfect springboard, because everyone agrees that that team was awesome, and yet the board back then still read like it does now (with a lot less activity obviously) 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.