Phil Housley: Your Feelings After Preseason

LGR4GM

Please provide a quoted example of this. 

I'm not going to go hunting down videos and posting links and timestamps, etc...  You can go look them up yourself.   

In almost every interview he says something to the effect "It's a process... it's going to take time..  we have to be patient,   etc, etc etc.."  

That's poor leadership IMO.     JUst listen to this interview...

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/phil-housley-postgame-92917/t-277822760/c-53053203

...right off the bat he starts making excuses.... "The Islanders have only given up 9 goals in 6 games, blah blah, they're really good defensively...."    Essentially just making an excuse for his team's lack of offense.

At the 2:50 mark he talks about system and that it's "going to take time".      Then he goes on to talk about "I appreciate the players efforts at practice, etc. etc... It's a process".      I'm sorry but that just doesn't do it for me.    I'd rather here him say "learning a system is no excuse... all teams go through it... we need to find ways to win hockey games and I expect us to win every game".       He just doesn't seem demanding enough and I'm afraid that will be an issue moving forward. 

I'd rather here him say "learning a system is no excuse... all teams go through it... we need to find ways to win hockey games and I expect us to win every game".       He just doesn't seem demanding enough and I'm afraid that will be an issue moving forward. 

Let's see what happens and what he says when the season begins.

I'm not going to go hunting down videos and posting links and timestamps, etc...  You can go look them up yourself.   

In almost every interview he says something to the effect "It's a process... it's going to take time..  we have to be patient,   etc, etc etc.."  

That's poor leadership IMO.     JUst listen to this interview...

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/phil-housley-postgame-92917/t-277822760/c-53053203

...right off the bat he starts making excuses.... "The Islanders have only given up 9 goals in 6 games, blah blah, they're really good defensively...."    Essentially just making an excuse for his team's lack of offense.

At the 2:50 mark he talks about system and that it's "going to take time".      Then he goes on to talk about "I appreciate the players efforts at practice, etc. etc... It's a process".      I'm sorry but that just doesn't do it for me.    I'd rather here him say "learning a system is no excuse... all teams go through it... we need to find ways to win hockey games and I expect us to win every game".       He just doesn't seem demanding enough and I'm afraid that will be an issue moving forward. 

I guarantee you you can find every single coach ever say the same

Let's see what happens and what he says when the season begins.

We've already heard him talk for 4 weeks of camp and pre-season games.

Listening to him speak about his team it's easy to understand why he was so well liked by the players in NSH.     He sounds like a player and there's no doubt he relates extremely well to them, but that's not what makes a good head coach. 

I guarantee you you can find every single coach ever say the same ######

I can't imagine hearing guys like Babcock, Quenneville, Suter, etc... complimenting their players after a loss.     There's a reason those types of coaches are successful and it's not by being soft to maintain a good relationship with their players.

Edited by pi2000

We've already heard him talk for 4 weeks of camp and pre-season games.

Listening to him speak about his team it's easy to understand why he was so well liked by the players in NSH.     He sounds like a player and there's no doubt he relates extremely well to them, but that's not what makes a good head coach. 

I can't imagine hearing guys like Babcock, Quenneville, Suter, etc... complimenting their players after a loss.     There's a reason those types of coaches are successful and it's not by being soft to maintain a good relationship with their players.

True.  I don't think what he says in interviews really matters one bit.  What does he say in the locker room?  What does he say during practice?  And more importantly, how does the team respond when it counts?  I gave up on the Bills in the preseason, and yesterday they beat the NFC champs.  I'm not saying Housley will duplicate McDermott's success (to date), but it's way too early to write off the Sabres.

But he's teaching them how to play the modern NHL game. That IS going to take time. I expect the team to look very messy for the first couple months (they'll still win enough 5-4 games on our forward talent alone).

Also, they're un-learning Bylsma's awful brand of early 2000s hockey.

Also also, being a dick =/= being a good leader. I'm glad Housley is a human being.

Housley has the right idea, don't think he has the right players to bring that idea to fruition. Or at least not enough of the right type of players (yet). When these guys flounder and fail will they make wholesale swaps or take the easier move and switch coaches - who knows.   Also the question of whether or not he changes his plan to fit the team he has, which will also fail in the long term if he does that. 

I think it will be interesting to see who can play the Housley way and who struggles with it. 

Housley has the right idea, don't think he has the right players to bring that idea to fruition. Or at least not enough of the right type of players (yet). When these guys flounder and fail will they make wholesale swaps or take the easier move and switch coaches - who knows. Also the question of whether or not he changes his plan to fit the team he has, which will also fail in the long term if he does that.

I think it will be interesting to see who can play the Housley way and who struggles with it.

I think and JBots and Housley are working on the team systemand watching how he help Nashville, I too believe it will take some time. That being said he expiremented during the preseason as short as it was. Even training camp was short. Compared to football which had almost two months. The sabres have had training camp and preseason together to implement a new system. I may take another month plus to really get going. Bills struggled in the first two games too and went 1-1... Again I was wrong about the Bills so far hoping Sabres will follow a similar tract. Edited by North Buffalo

• 1 month later...

It is qualitatively better. Whether that translates to more wins, we don't know. But it's definitely better to watch.

lol

I see Housley as taking a more realistic approach with his system and players than previous coaches.

lol

Actually any approach that's not Bylsma's is better so different is by definition better.

lol

I disagree. I think Housley is one of those "find something nice to say" guys. So instead of saying DLo is no longer NHL material, he says he had a nice camp. Instead of saying Bailey isn't ready for the NHL he says he's close. This drives the cynics nuts but I think it's good for team morale....

And it was easy to say the same thing about Sean McDermott a month ago. If, 20 games into the season, the Sabres are 13-4-3, will you change your mind?

I will.

Look, I'm not anti-Housley, I was hoping I would be proved wrong about his lack.of ability to lead. I feel bad for him, I really do.

Housley has the right idea, don't think he has the right players to bring that idea to fruition. Or at least not enough of the right type of players (yet). When these guys flounder and fail will they make wholesale swaps or take the easier move and switch coaches - who knows.   Also the question of whether or not he changes his plan to fit the team he has, which will also fail in the long term if he does that. 

Interesting. So he had a plan that he tried to fit the players to as opposed to players that he should have fit a plan to. Bass ackwards... Well it's going to take time.

still thinking we needed babs or some SOB like Mike Keenan who wouldn't put up with this crap for a moment. Clearly being nice with this group just isn't the answer. The good old country club mentality continues to thrive and it shows no sign of going away any time soon. hard to think that this team may actually be worse then the tank team when they were actually trying to be bad...this team was suppose to be much improved. STRANGE...

Don't believe this is all on Housley but if things continue this way, would not be at all surprised to see him replaced right after the WJC's are completed. Now that Bogosian is back, maybe when he's into playing shape & gets paired back w/ McCabe, the team can pick the play up & save Phil's job. Wouldn't want any money on it.

Don't believe this is all on Housley but if things continue this way, would not be at all surprised to see him replaced right after the WJC's are completed. Now that Bogosian is back, maybe when he's into playing shape & gets paired back w/ McCabe, the team can pick the play up & save Phil's job. Wouldn't want any money on it.

I wondered a few weeks ago what kind of extraordinary circumstances could lead to Housley getting axed. The record is bad enough, but let's say the Sabres get shut out tonight and the next two games or something. Truly extraordinary. Botterill's hands might be tied. He might have to fire him out of mercy.

I wondered a few weeks ago what kind of extraordinary circumstances could lead to Housley getting axed. The record is bad enough, but let's say the Sabres get shut out tonight and the next two games or something. Truly extraordinary. Botterill's hands might be tied. He might have to fire him out of mercy.

They SHOULD be able to score against & possibly even beat the Avs. No reason to expect anything good against Chicago nor the Blues. If they lose all 4 badly, Housley may not make it to Christmas.

I'm looking forward to the 'Road to the Outdoor Game', or whatever it's called. I think it will provide some answers.

I think it will be completely sanitized, sterilized and devoid of any deeper insight on this complete failure of a roster.

I'll give it 10 minutes to prove me wrong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.