GDT: Buffalo at Pittsburgh, Sept. 27, 2017, 7pm, ON TELEVISION! MSG.

Eleven

I only saw the third period so my comments are based solely on that. Initially they looked brutal and outclassed but the effort level was much better in this game than the Leafs one. Beaulieu, terrible mistake on the Pitt goal. Johnson looks meh, Ullmark is better but it depends on how much Lehner will play.  Josefson looked decent at times. Signs of life but the lines - if these are the lines - need more time together, they all seemed to lack chemistry. Jack has to be better.

I saw a ton of positives:

* Fired 42 shots

* Allowed only 27

* Didn't turn the puck over (officially just 1 giveaway)

* Exited our zone cleanly

* Entered theirs the same way

* Had the extra man jumping into the attack regularly

* Did a good job of finding that open man

* And we looked fast

And all that against the Stanley Cup champs on the road without our three best defenceman

More importantly, we were actually fun to watch.

I think we will have our breakdowns throughout the season, but we looked like we were playing to win instead of playing not to lose. Very encouraging game.

PS I can't recall even one stretch pass being missed and going for icing. That alone will make my year better than the past two.

Edited by dudacek

Individually:

* Bogosian, Girgensons and Deslauriers looked a lot more like their Nolan selves than their Bylsma selves.

* I liked Reinhart much better tonight. Always in the right spot both ends and made good plays with the puck on his stick.

* I see why Housley likes the potential of that Reinhart unit, but I didn't see enough chemistry between him and his wingers. Neither Bailey, nor Pouliot looked comfortable, although they flashed their size and speed at times.

* Didn't dislike Jacks line, but it got outclassed by Sid's line

* Saw the good Beaulieu and the bad Beaulieu in equal measure.

* Antipin wants it bad. He's small but he's an undersized underdog battler from an underdog hockey nation. Pulling for him for sure and I expect steady improvement.

* Justin Falk was very effective, something I haven't thought about Josh Gorges in quite some time. Hope Falk wins the battle to be our #7

* I like Chad as a backup, but he was leaky tonight. I think he's far more prone to that than Lehner. I also think the fan base is far more prone to ignoring those performances from him than they are from Lehner.

* Sixteen minutes for O'Reilly? You mean he doesn't have to play every shift against Crosby and every shift against Malkin? There will be games where he will play more, but we will thank Phil for his common sense come March.

Edited by dudacek

Deslauriers might have saved his job with his play so far tonight. Larsson looks completely lost at sea out there.

Larsson is that exception to the rule that "centers can play wing." (Much as Hecht was the exception to the rule that "wings can't play center at all." ;) ) He has to be either the 4C (preferred) or 3C. Plan to put him on the wing and trade his arse. A 3rd round pick would be more useful than him as 4R.

I'd like to see Josefson with Reinhart a little. Sams made some nice plays that pouliot has sucked on

You want Reinhart moved back to wing? :huh:

Don't expect Josefson moved from C, thus the Q.

----------

Not thrilled w/ Bogosian & Beaulieu together, but when Scandella & McCabe are back expect a bottom 4 of McCabe-Bogo & Beaulieu-Antipin to be effective & will actually look like NHL quality pairings.

Larsson is that exception to the rule that "centers can play wing." (Much as Hecht was the exception to the rule that "wings can't play center at all." ;) ) He has to be either the 4C (preferred) or 3C. Plan to put him on the wing and trade his arse. A 3rd round pick would be more useful than him as 4R.

----------

Not thrilled w/ Bogosian & Beaulieu together, but when Scandella & McCabe are back expect a bottom 4 of McCabe-Bogo & Beaulieu-Antipin to be effective & will actually look like NHL quality pairings.

Actually Josefson isn't that bad at LW.

----------

I don't like the idea of the Bobeau twins, but other than being caught napping on the Kessel goal, I thought they looked better than expected, particularly considering they were used as the number one pair against two of the best centres in the world. They can be dangerous both ways, but that seems like it is going to be our MO this year. Edited by dudacek

Actually Josefson isn't that bad at LW.

This was only game got to see much of him in action. Figured w/ Larsson getting moved to a spot he has been brutal at in the past to keep Josefson at C that his position is fairly set in stone. Was at C the 1st day of camp as well.

Would be ok seeing him on Reinhart's wing w/ Larsson at 4C, but not expecting it.

I don't like the idea of the Bobeau twins, but other than being caught napping on the Kessel goal, I thought they looked better than expected, particularly considering they were used as the number one pair against two of the best centres in the world.

Bogosian threw a nice pick on Beaulieu on the 2nd goal as well.

Similarly to the way the D-man that went out of town when he came in who really was a much better player when paired w/ Tallinder; Bogosian looks SOOO much better when paired w/ McCabe. Really want to see how they'd work together in Housley's system.

This was only game got to see much of him in action. Figured w/ Larsson getting moved to a spot he has been brutal at in the past to keep Josefson at C that his position is fairly set in stone. Was at C the 1st day of camp as well.

Would be ok seeing him on Reinhart's wing w/ Larsson at 4C, but not expecting it.

Bogosian threw a nice pick on Beaulieu on the 2nd goal as well.

Similarly to the way the D-man that went out of town when he came in who really was a much better player when paired w/ Tallinder; Bogosian looks SOOO much better when paired w/ McCabe. Really want to see how they'd work together in Housley's system.

You might argue Johnson coulda/shoulda bailed them out on either goal, but those things (brain farts) are going to happen with those two.

But you couldn't ignore how well they moved the puck between them in both zones and how their skating opened gaps so frequently on O, or closed gaps so effectively on D.

I like McCabe and Bogo too, but I also like the idea of McCabe and Antipin.

Beaulieu and Antipin, not so much, but maybe they will surprise me like Bobeau did tonight.

Edited by dudacek

The D pairings all come down to what Housley's thinking is.  Will he have one pairing that gets tons of ice time or will he spread the talent (and lack of talent) around so there isn't a weak pairing. I have this feeling he believes more in rolling lines and pairings to keep people fresh and  so at least for the first half of the year you won't see Scandella with Risto. I'm just guessing here though, can't tell from preseason. 

Looks like we may actually have multiple D combinations that work, for a change. With the system Housley wants to play, I'm officially open to the possibility we might not have an adequate defensive core, but actually a rather good one. If they are being honest when they say all the Scandella stuff is precautionary, I think we have a good top 6 that can be arranged in several effective ways.

I thought it was interesting how Housley matched lines as opposed to Bylsma. Eichel played against Crosby, I can't believe this will be Housley's thinking a month from now, as I expect them to be lit up. The second line was Larsson, Josefson, and Delo, as they played against Malkin. I don't think Delo can play against Malkin regularly, and this is why Nolan was brought in. This leaves both O'Reilly and Reinhart against bottom six competition.

I paid attention to this a few years back, maybe the short season, and I found Colorado and Toronto (when they were both bad, and funnily enough, it was O'Reilly who was given the better matchups then too.) were using this type of line-matching strategy. I'll be curious to see if it works or not, my current belief is that it just doesn't matter.

Thanks for the info, did the blue draft, watched the second period, refing was aweful, then passed out from working 17 hours straight and feeding and getting my kids ready to sleep. Not sure if my oldest actually went to sleep... lol

PS Bogo looked so much better, don’t understand the Larry hate, Kane looks like he is struggling without Sam’s passing and yeh Jack needs to settle down. Sabres need another scorer with Jack... say Nylander hopefully or ERod when better... he knows Jack and that might work.

I thought it was interesting how Housley matched lines as opposed to Bylsma. Eichel played against Crosby, I can't believe this will be Housley's thinking a month from now, as I expect them to be lit up. The second line was Larsson, Josefson, and Delo, as they played against Malkin. I don't think Delo can play against Malkin regularly, and this is why Nolan was brought in. This leaves both O'Reilly and Reinhart against bottom six competition.

I paid attention to this a few years back, maybe the short season, and I found Colorado and Toronto (when they were both bad, and funnily enough, it was O'Reilly who was given the better matchups then too.) were using this type of line-matching strategy. I'll be curious to see if it works or not, my current belief is that it just doesn't matter.

Hmmm that's interesting, kinda wish I'd seen the game last night now.

Curious why you think line matchups don't matter though

I liked it - here you go Jack, match-up with Crosby. I didn't like that Eichel was on losing end most shifts and 2 goals against.  He got that late assist which softened his stats, but on the whole I don't think he had a good game.  

Not sure about O'Reilly's line. Three good possession guys, but who's the scorer there?  Okposo I guess?  We need a young Vanek in there.

Overall fun to watch and pumped for the season!  

I didn't think Housley line matched at all, certainly not Josefson versus Malkin.

There werent many penalties and he just seemed to roll the lines. Crosby and Eichel started and tended to be out against each a lot, but neither coach seemed to be playing the matchup game.

I wouldn't read too much into it; I imagine the strategy for an exhibition game was to get everyone involved and focused on the fundamentals of the system.

Individually:

* Bogosian, Girgensons and Deslauriers looked a lot more like their Nolan selves than their Bylsma selves.

* I liked Reinhart much better tonight. Always in the right spot both ends and made good plays with the puck on his stick.

* I see why Housley likes the potential of that Reinhart unit, but I didn't see enough chemistry between him and his wingers. Neither Bailey, nor Pouliot looked comfortable, although they flashed their size and speed at times.

* Didn't dislike Jacks line, but it got outclassed by Sid's line

* Saw the good Beaulieu and the bad Beaulieu in equal measure.

* Antipin wants it bad. He's small but he's an undersized underdog battler from an underdog hockey nation. Pulling for him for sure and I expect steady improvement.

* Justin Falk was very effective, something I haven't thought about Josh Gorges in quite some time. Hope Falk wins the battle to be our #7

* I like Chad as a backup, but he was leaky tonight. I think he's far more prone to that than Lehner. I also think the fan base is far more prone to ignoring those performances from him than they are from Lehner.

* Sixteen minutes for O'Reilly? You mean he doesn't have to play every shift against Crosby and every shift against Malkin? There will be games where he will play more, but we will thank Phil for his common sense come March.

Great points. I like Bailey last night. I hope he stays

I agree about Beaulieu. Good and bad. Just don't want him out against Crosby 

Love Falk. He is way better Fadun 

I liked it - here you go Jack, match-up with Crosby. I didn't like that Eichel was on losing end most shifts and 2 goals against.  He got that late assist which softened his stats, but on the whole I don't think he had a good game.  

Not sure about O'Reilly's line. Three good possession guys, but who's the scorer there?  Okposo I guess?  We need a young Vanek in there.

Overall fun to watch and pumped for the season!  

I kinda want to change the lines...

Kane - ROR - Okposo

Zemgus - Eichel - Pommers

Great points. I like Bailey last night. I hope he stays

I agree about Beaulieu. Good and bad. Just don't want him out against Crosby 

Love Falk. He is way better Fadun 

Maybe I'm overly critical of Bailey because of personal reasons (I want him to make the team SO BADLY!), but he did not impress me at all last night.

Maybe I'm overly critical of Bailey because of personal reasons (I want him to make the team SO BADLY!), but he did not impress me at all last night.

I thought he played with urgency but the issues that plagued him, i.e. slow decision making, are still there.  Maybe it is adapting to a new philosophy and role, but I am wondering how he fits.  I also noticed that he didn't really separate speed-wise form some of the Pens journeymen.  His skating style is very inefficient and looks like a lot of movement but it seemed like he was slightly above average in straightline speed.  He seems like a great kid.  

Interesting. But was it Housley doing the matching or Sullivan (who had the last change) doing the matching?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.