Training camp questions #6: who is ready to be a regular?

dudacek

Last year the only rookie to make the opening night roster was Hudson Fasching.

Not a single youngster was a regular all season. At 41 games Carrier came closest.

Bailey, Baptiste, Rodrigues and Fasching all got looks and are now third year pros, the time when many prospects make the jump. Antipin and Guhle are highly touted.

Spots appear to be available. Are any of them ready?

Edited by dudacek

The trick to "sticking" on the regular roster is not when you are ready to be a regular, but when you are ready to be a regular and you can't be freely moved between ROC and BUF.

Roster flexibility is such a huge factor in this calculation for any player who is not firmly planted as a top tier player.

Fasching I forget about often, so anything positive from him will be a pleasant surprise.

Possibly our most underrated prospect. Last year's injury really pushed him off the radar.

I don't ever think he will score 20 goals, but he is so good along the boards and down low.

That usually means a respectable 10-year career in the middle six.

IMO they go with a veteran squad and put all the young guys in Roch (Bailey, Nylander, Fasching, Baptiste, Guhle, etc..).

Am I the only one who things that if a player hasn't "made it" by the end of his third-year pro, then his chances of doing anything significant in the NHL aren't great?

A big chunk of that, as LTS points out, is the fact that after three years the player becomes waiver eligible.

Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste and Rodrigues are hitting that do or die phase for me. I expect to see signs they can contribute this year. There are open spots up front. If they can't beat out the likes of Moulson and Deslauriers for a regular shift, I'm ready to move on.

Edited by dudacek

Am I the only one who things that if a player hasn't "made it" by the end of his third-year pro, then his chances of doing anything significant in the NHL aren't great?

A big chunk of that, as LTS points out, is the fact that after three years the player becomes waiver eligible.

Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste and Rodrigues are hitting that do or die phase for me. I expect to see signs they can contribute this year. There are open spots up front. If they can't beat out the likes of Moulson and Deslauriers for a regular shift, I'm ready to move on.

Hopefully Housley will not feel compelled to keep Moulson in the lineup merely because of his paycheck.

No, you aren't the only one. I have no excitement for these guys anymore.

Well, JBOT has been preaching development and by development he means winning in Rochester.   None of those guys have really done anything in Rochester to this point.    Give them a season down there to grow together and build something, learn how to play the way Housley envisions and in a winning environment.    Don't put the cart before the horse.

Hopefully Housley will not feel compelled to keep Moulson in the lineup merely because of his paycheck.

He won't.  He'll feel compelled to keep him in the lineup because of his goal scoring.

No, you aren't the only one. I have no excitement for these guys anymore.

They're still too young to write off IMO.    Danny Briere bounced around in the minors for 5 years or so before he established himself in the NHL.    

Fully expect a RW rookie. Sadly Casey Mittlestadt plays c/lw so he'll wait a year.

Let him light it up in Rochester, Vanek 04-05 style

Isn't it a little more complicated than that? (I actually don't know)... What happens to his contract if he is waived?

Let him light it up in Rochester, Vanek 04-05 style

Isn't it a little more complicated than that? (I actually don't know)... What happens to his contract if he is waived?

I don't care if he's waived; I just don't really want him in the top 12.  If they have to keep him on the roster, fine.  It's fine to have him available to cover injuries or to give a guy a rest.

I don't care if he's waived; I just don't really want him in the top 12.  If they have to keep him on the roster, fine.  It's fine to have him available to cover injuries or to give a guy a rest.

I'm actually curious what would happen to his contract if waived and 1. clearing & sent down to Roch, or 2. claimed by another team.

I don't think making him a healthy scratch every night is the right thing to do

I'm actually curious what would happen to his contract if waived and 1. clearing & sent down to Roch, or 2. claimed by another team.

I don't think making him a healthy scratch every night is the right thing to do

If he's not one of the best 12 forwards on the team, and I'm hoping he's not, it is absolutely the right thing to do.

If he is sent to Rochester and unclaimed, his full salary will count against the cap.  Like Wade Redden.

If he's not one of the best 12 forwards on the team, and I'm hoping he's not, it is absolutely the right thing to do.

If he is sent to Rochester and unclaimed, his full salary will count against the cap.  Like Wade Redden.

Ouch

I know hockey is a business, but wouldn't that get GMBot a bad rap, league-wide? To make a seasoned, respected veteran ride the AHL bus, just because a previous regime signed a bad contract? Wouldn't the "right" thing to do be to just buy him out?

Edited by ericcomposer72

I think it depends on the type of player they are. I guess I'm much more patient. I give em 5 or six, and that's based solely on when Briere finally broke out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.