Trading camp questions #5: How good is Sam Reinhart?

dudacek

I see him as a 2 way #3 centre. My comparable is Igor Larionov, not physical or fast but smart and always in the right spot.

A lot of his scoring will come on the PP, he could even QB the second unit. He's been used as a net front presence on the first unit, but that is not his best skill.

Larionov was behind Yzerman and Fedorov but was effective in his role.

I think Sam needs to be a center.

When we look at our teams' centers, though: Eichel makes painfully apparent Sam's lack of speed, and O'Reilly makes painfully apparent his lack of grit. I don't know how much he can improve these things, but I think that's ok, because...

For one, I believe Sam's stick-handling is severely underrated. Secondly, I think we all know he can create plays and scoring chances out of nothing. I think if he was given more opportunities to showcase this (i.e. centering a line with wingers who can finish), he'd show why he went #2 overall.

To quote Ted Nolan, "I'm not much of an X's and O's guy" (sorry, Ted), but I feel if Samson has wingers who have speed and grit, to compensate for his lack thereof, that line could be a very threatening force. I could imagine Sam quarterbacking zone entries by making perfect passes to a speedy winger, cycling it in the zone, and setting up plays. Another thing I love about Sam is his knack for knowing just when to get rid of the puck. He hangs on to it just long enough to draw defenders out of position, getting them to bite, and then knows exactly where to pass it to take advantage. If this was our 3rd line, with the match-ups they'd likely get, maybe we could even see 3rd line production like we haven't seen since Vanek played on the 3rd line...

I loved that little time he centered Kane and Bailey.    They would do the forechecking and he just would come a bit later and set himself up for a chance.

I predict barring injury, Reinhart is better than Duchene this year.

Depending how you define "better", Sam was better than Duchene last year. Sam had 47 points in 79 games to Duchene's 41 in 77. There's also a -20 point gap in plus minus but Duchene was on a team somehow worse than the Sabres tank at full speed so that doesn't seem fair to compare.

Duchene's production will be tied to whether or not he gets traded this year. If he's moved and is put on a line with capable players he'll probably out-perform Sam (who I hope is centering a 3rd line).

Sam has played center in the league before, but thank you for your contribution

It was a valid point.  He's had a cup of coffee at center.

And it's not realistic to think that his skating can drastically improve.  He's been skating his entire life, and is a below-average NHL skater.  He might improve a bit but is never going to be better than average.

I think way too much is made of Sam's skating. He's hardly Dave Andreychuk out there.

He's better than Larsson or Moulson, and on par with Okposo, Pominville and O'Reilly.

And like the latter three he makes the argument moot by anticipating the play and being where he needs to be.

Can't think of many times he's cost us because of his speed.

Or put it this way. Nick Deslauriers may be faster, but he is far less efficient because he is always chasing.

Sam is always where the play is going, not where it used to be.

Edited by dudacek

Not for any meaningful time.

I want Sam to get a full try at the #2 center position so we can see O'Reilly on Eichel's wing. I want it so bad.

That's a complete waste of O'Reilly. He's the best defensive center we have on the roster. It would be smarter to put Eichel on O'Reilly's wing than the other way around.

The better move would be to have all 3 of them at center (O'Reilly, Eichel, and Reinhart).

Edited by Drunkard

I don't think I have ever watched a game and said to myself, "Boy, Sam's skating is really holding him back."

I have always thought that head and hands are way more important than feet. He has those.

Just my random thought.

Edited by SwampD

I see him as a 2 way #3 centre. My comparable is Igor Larionov, not physical or fast but smart and always in the right spot.

A lot of his scoring will come on the PP, he could even QB the second unit. He's been used as a net front presence on the first unit, but that is not his best skill.

Larionov was behind Yzerman and Fedorov but was effective in his role.

I love this comparison, and Craig Button (*ducks*) himself made the same one. Spot on.

It was a valid point.  He's had a cup of coffee at center.

And it's not realistic to think that his skating can drastically improve.  He's been skating his entire life, and is a below-average NHL skater.  He might improve a bit but is never going to be better than average.

I'd say he's already an average skater. And as dudacek and Swamp eloquently pointed out: that's more than adequate for what he wants to bring to the table.

He reminds me a lot of Petrice Bergeron. Steady playmaker and smart.

omg - he's like the anti-Patrice Bergeron. Bergeron when healthy is the best 2 way center in the league aside MAYBE from Toews.   Can still totally shut down #1 centers. Reinhart lined up against a top center would be a multi-point night for the other guy.

I honestly don't see Reinhart ending up a whole lot better than a David Legwand. Trade him while people still think he has upside.

omg - he's like the anti-Patrice Bergeron. Bergeron when healthy is the best 2 way center in the league aside MAYBE from Toews.   Can still totally shut down #1 centers. Reinhart lined up against a top center would be a multi-point night for the other guy.

I honestly don't see Reinhart ending up a whole lot better than a David Legwand. Trade him while people still think he has upside.

I'm not sure you can effect a trade to the fanbase.

omg - he's like the anti-Patrice Bergeron. Bergeron when healthy is the best 2 way center in the league aside MAYBE from Toews. Can still totally shut down #1 centers. Reinhart lined up against a top center would be a multi-point night for the other guy.

I disagree.

That's a complete waste of O'Reilly. He's the best defensive center we have on the roster. It would be smarter to put Eichel on O'Reilly's wing than the other way around.

The better move would be to have all 3 of them at center (O'Reilly, Eichel, and Reinhart).

Jack has frequently been raked across the coals for his questionable d-zone coverage. How would O'Reilly's defensive skills be wasted?

Even mentioning Toews as potentially the best right now nullifies this take ;) :p

Jack has frequently been raked across the coals for his questionable d-zone coverage. How would O'Reilly's defensive skills be wasted?

It's basic hockey. When the other team has the puck your center is responsible for picking up the 3rd forward of the other team while your defensemen pick up the other two forwards and your wingers pick up their defenders. Playing defense is much easier for a winger than a center.

Since O'Reilly is far and away our most defensively responsible forward it would make zero sense to waste his talents at wing just to put people who aren't as good at defending (Eichel and Reinhart) in his place.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.