(OT) The College Football Thread

Eleven

Why is college football punting so different than the NFL's?

There are different rules for the "ineligible player downfield" penalty. In the NFL, only the players at the side of the formation, known as gunners, are allowed to run toward the punt returner as soon as the ball is snapped. All the people crouching along the line of scrimmage can't go more than a yard forward until the ball is kicked.

Under NCAA rules, the linemen can run toward the punt returner right after the snap. As a result, some of the linemen take advantage of this and run forward after the snap. The players near the punter in the "shield punt" formation can block any defender who managed to get past the offensive line.

So, to answer your question, NFL rules make it so the punting team probably needs to use gunners on the sides of the field, while NCAA rules allow the linemen to do the running.

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/3kog67/eli5_why_is_it_typical_to_see_different_punt/

OK. Giving 'em flack for looking like creamsicles w/ their regular unis is one thing. But dissing "Rocky Top" is just wrong.

Those uniforms rock.  I have no idea WTF they were wearing today.  I'm not a huge Vols fan or anything, but you have to love those orange and whites.

No. Rocky Top is the devils music

The Devil Went Down to Georgia, bud.

Those uniforms rock.  I have no idea WTF they were wearing today.  I'm not a huge Vols fan or anything, but you have to love those orange and whites.

The Devil Went Down to Georgia, bud.

So you liked the Bucs old home unis? They're the exact same minus the flamboyant helmets.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.