(OT) The College Football Thread

Eleven

Looks like we are down to 8 teams for 4 slots in the CFP.

GA and Alabama in the SEC, but both must get by Auburn who is looking better and then GA plays either Auburn or Bama in the SEC Championship.  If both GA and Alabama are undefeated heading into the game, could the loser still get a playoff slot?  A GA lose to Auburn won't kill their chances, but they'd have to win the SEC Championship game to get in.  Same for Bama. Note if Aub beats both GA and Bama they play GA again in the SEC championship game.  GA's road win at ND is a major feather in their cap.

ND - Only lose is to GA, but keeps improving.  Still has road games against Miami and Stanford.  Lose one of those and they are done.

Clemson and Miami are headed to the ACC Championship game.  Winner has a shot, but both could be left out. If Miami loses to ND, they are still alive, but they'd need to win the ACC and get help.

Okla and TCU - They face off this coming Saturday. Winner in the driver seat, but may have to face the loser again in the Big 12 Championship game.  Loser Sat likely out of the running.

Last but not least Wisconsin:  Not sure how good the Badgers are because their best win is against 6-3 Northwestern. Not exactly a tough schedule.  Has Iowa at home this Saturday.  Might be their only test of the season until the Big 10 championship game against the Mich St / OSU winner from this coming Sat.

Huge games this Sat.  GA/AUB; OKLA/TCU, ND/MIAMI, OSU/MSU, WIS/IOWA and also BAMA/MISS ST (only because BAMA has some key injuries) 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just popping in to say: I used to love college football. But then some combination of rule changes (clock stops on 1st down, I presume) and style changes (moar plays!) gave us these 4-hour games on the regular. That's gotta change.

Serious question. When was that ever not the rule?

Serious question. When was that ever not the rule?

Aye. Fair point. I think that's been a rule forever. My bad.

My sense is, though, that having many, many more plays (and dozens more first downs) is partly what's behind the slow progress of the games.

That and their replay review system.

My only problem with college football is that it shouldn't be college football. 

Quoi?

$$$$

I love college football. They still hit, they can't play defense, the upsets, the rivalries, the atmosphere is 10000% better than the NFL, the officiating is better...every single thing college football does is better than pro football

Wild card, I can't agree with you more.

I was strictly an NFL fan growing up.  Bills, Bills and more Bills. 

Then I moved to GA, married a UGA alum, put two kids through UGA and have been attending UGA football games for 27 years.  Honestly, I enjoy Saturday now so much more then Sunday.  The players seem to have more fun, the fans have great traditions and the sea of Red Tents tailgating in Athens, GA just adds to the excitement.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

$$$$

I love college football. They still hit, they can't play defense, the upsets, the rivalries, the atmosphere is 10000% better than the NFL, the officiating is better...every single thing college football does is better than pro football

I would like college to spin its teams off into minor league development teams so there can be no pretense that any of these kids are there to do anything but play football. Colleges shouldn't be spending the money they spend on their football teams. Athletics is fine, I'm a bro who likes college sports. I just think it's gotten to be too crazy.

I would like college to spin its teams off into minor league development teams so there can be no pretense that any of these kids are there to do anything but play football. Colleges shouldn't be spending the money they spend on their football teams. Athletics is fine, I'm a bro who likes college sports. I just think it's gotten to be too crazy.

They'd fail miserably though

$$$$

I'd argue that the length of the games is worse than the NFL.

They'd fail miserably though

Yeah. I don't know how you go about unwinding the tradition and brand of the various schools from their teams.

Yeah. I don't know how you go about unwinding the tradition and brand of the various schools from their teams.

As a fan of baseball, length of games doesn't bother me ;)

Yeah that's the thing. As soon as you remove the team from being associated to the school, everything is lost

Federal law. Cap school athletics spending so that college sports goes back to being something you do to supplement your college experience, school spirit, etc. Then maybe we can get back to colleges being about academic pursuits instead of sports. People wonder why education spending has ballooned. Maybe lets not dump billions into college football. 

I like the way hockey is structured. College hockey is an option but it's not the sole feeder of the NHL, and kids who don't want to go to college can go play in any number of feeder leagues to the NHL. A lot of college hockey players are actually there to get a degree. A lot of them finish school and leave hockey for actual careers. 

I'd love to see where all the college football players who don't belong in college and don't make it in football end up. I bet it's not pretty. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.