Where will Jack Eichel be ranked in overall scoring 2017/2018

LGR4GM

lol, yeah Kane and Eichel had terrible seasons!   They can only improve under a new system, because it's different.

They can only improve under a new system because it isn't predicated on dump and chase. Dan Bylsma's system of long stretch crap with dump and chase was garbage. Should we be surprised that the Pens never won a cup after Bylsma implemented his system? Sure players like Jack and Crosby can rise above it because they are good, but other guys need a solid system to succeed. Bylsma and his system were garbage. 

Edited by LGR4GM

You'll be there to remove it, 2 weeks of rest and then back to work for Jackie boy.

And then what happens when I mess up and cause permanent damage.... Because I dont take out spleens ;)

I wonder if anyone is going to take a shot at Mr eichel this year, you know there is a POS or 2 out there with no regard.

And then what happens when I mess up and cause permanent damage.... Because I dont take out spleens ;)

I wonder if anyone is going to take a shot at Mr eichel this year, you know there is a POS or 2 out there with no regard.

Then don't take it out...just put a cast or splint on it.  You know what to do.  Gitterdone. 

Spleen? Kid? Whats the difference? 

They can only improve under a new system because it isn't predicated on dump and chase. Dan Bylsma's system of long stretch crap with dump and chase was garbage. Should we be surprised that the Pens never won a cup after Bylsma implemented his system? Sure players like Jack and Crosby can rise above it because they are good, but other guys need a solid system to succeed. Bylsma and his system were garbage. 

Just imagine what Jack, Evander, et. al. could do with the puck if they're allowed to have it...

I completed my USA Hockey level 4 coaching class this past weekend in Scottsdale, AZ.     A 3 day long event, most of it off-ice in a classroom environment where they teach the USA hockey philosophy of developing young players and some system stuff.    It builds on levels 1, 2 and 3.    Shane Doan skated with us and talked for an hour or so on special teams to wrap up the conference.    If anybody remembers Jonathan Parker (part of the McNabb trade) he was a fellow classmate,  we talked a bit about his time in Rochester.

The system stuff was interesting, in summary it's all about quick transitions.    On a turnover, it takes the (now) defensive team about 2-2.5 seconds to take a defensive posture.   If you can move the puck up ice quickly after a turnover, you'll have a distinct advantage.     However, the only way to do that is by passing the puck... whether it's long stretch passes, or a series of short passes, it doesn't matter.... but you can't do that simply by skating the puck up ice.. that takes too long, giving the opposition time to setup defensively.     

Maybe Bylsma leaned too heavily on the stretch passes, but he wasn't too far off base with his philosophy of getting the puck up ice quickly (passing it vs skating).     That's something that needs to happen in any system for it to be successful.

I completed my USA Hockey level 4 coaching class this past weekend in Scottsdale, AZ.     A 3 day long event, most of it off-ice in a classroom environment where they teach the USA hockey philosophy of developing young players and some system stuff.    It builds on levels 1, 2 and 3.    Shane Doan skated with us and talked for an hour or so on special teams to wrap up the conference.    If anybody remembers Jonathan Parker (part of the McNabb trade) he was a fellow classmate,  we talked a bit about his time in Rochester.

The system stuff was interesting, in summary it's all about quick transitions.    On a turnover, it takes the (now) defensive team about 2-2.5 seconds to take a defensive posture.   If you can move the puck up ice quickly after a turnover, you'll have a distinct advantage.     However, the only way to do that is by passing the puck... whether it's long stretch passes, or a series of short passes, it doesn't matter.... but you can't do that simply by skating the puck up ice.. that takes too long, giving the opposition time to setup defensively.     

Maybe Bylsma leaned too heavily on the stretch passes, but he wasn't too far off base with his philosophy of getting the puck up ice quickly (passing it vs skating).     That's something that needs to happen in any system for it to be successful.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the stretch pass if the opportunity is there and someone is open. The problems arise when possession changes and everyone (on the newly offensive team) without the puck streaks towards the opponent's blue line and just stands there. Then there's no one open to make the long pass to, especially since very few of our defensemen seemed capable of completing a long pass.

The bigger problem with DB's system was the heavy reliance on the dump and chase. He seemed to value forcing the defenseman to turn around more than maintaining possession of the puck. The dump and chase can be effective when you enter the zone with speed but combining his stretch pass with the preference for dump and chase ensured that most of our puck retrievers/forecheckers/chasers were caught flat footed at the opponents blue line whenever the puck got dumped. I think they greatly reducers the chances of puck retrieval.

Edited by Drunkard

And how did they recommend you transition from the neutral zone to the offensive with the puck?

And how did they recommend you transition from the neutral zone to the offensive with the puck?

They cover zone entries and dump ins in the lower level clinics.... basic stuff, there's not a one-size fits all, depends on the situation... the personnel on the ice, game situation, how long they've been out there, etc...  

The common theme they pound into you is that hockey is simply a math problem, you're trying to create mini 2-on-1's all over the ice.    Meaning guys without the puck have to work the hardest... to get to openings and support the puck carrier.   Shane Doan talked about this at length and we watched a number of game clips of how this works.... which is something I think was lacking last season in Buffalo.      How much of that was due to coaching vs players, who knows.

Doan also preached at length about attacking the puck on the PK.... have at least one guy attacking the puck carrier at all times when you're killing a penalty.   PK is all about causing chaos, disrupting the PP setup.    Taking a passive approach (staying in a tight box or diamond or backing off in the neutral zone) gives too much time and space for the PP unit to execute their plan of attack.           

Not sure what I did here to quote like this, but anyway, to your point about skating vs passing, which I agree with, it's pretty nice to have one of the 5-10 guys in the world you DO want going coast-to-coast with the puck often. 

The common theme they pound into you is that hockey is simply a math problem, you're trying to create mini 2-on-1's all over the ice.    Meaning guys without the puck have to work the hardest... to get to openings and support the puck carrier.   Shane Doan talked about this at length and we watched a number of game clips of how this works.... which is something I think was lacking last season in Buffalo.      How much of that was due to coaching vs players, who knows.

Doan also preached at length about attacking the puck on the PK.... have at least one guy attacking the puck carrier at all times when you're killing a penalty.   PK is all about causing chaos, disrupting the PP setup.    Taking a passive approach (staying in a tight box or diamond or backing off in the neutral zone) gives too much time and space for the PP unit to execute their plan of attack.           

Seems like common sense to me, especially the second paragraph.  The point of the diamond or box is not so much to stay in it at all costs, it's to have a consistent structure/assignment for the penalty killers that aren't pressuring the puck, and to limit the chaser so that he doesn't run around too much (i.e., when the puck goes out of the zone he's responsible for, the adjacent player becomes the chaser and he resumes his position in the diamond/box).

Seems like common sense to me, especially the second paragraph. The point of the diamond or box is not so much to stay in it at all costs, it's to have a consistent structure/assignment for the penalty killers that aren't pressuring the puck, and to limit the chaser so that he doesn't run around too much (i.e., when the puck goes out of the zone he's responsible for, the adjacent player becomes the chaser and he resumes his position in the diamond/box).

. Exactly and if you are the chaser with no support your legs go pretty fast. Guys not chasing need to be ready to help if there is an oportunity but not bunch up. One covering puck, one close to support if the opportunity is there or to block passing lanes. Key is to keep your head on a swivel and be ready to move quickly to keep a body on the puck. Once the puck chaser is off cover that structured position. Simple but when your legs are on fire, hard to execute. Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.