Jbot so far?

GASabresIUFAN

Thumbs Up or Down  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the job Jbot's done so far

• Yes - Thumbs up
    • No - Thumbs down
    • Not sure
  2. 2. Are you more or less optimistic about next season?

• I already miss TM & DD and think the Sabres are going in the wrong direction
    • The Sabres are better, but not enough to be a playoff contender
    • The Sabres should contend for a playoff spot
  3. 3. What should be the official Sabrespace designation for GM Jason Botterill?

• Jbot or similar
    • JB
    • JBotto
    • The Man
    • JazzyB
    • Not TM
    • GMJB
    • Other

The Sabres may have just come through one most important transitions in franchise history. I think has done a very good and measured job of seeing the team through it.

1) Coaching - He has hired a coach, albeit a rookie one, with tremendous upside from an excellent organization who because of his HOF player status garners instant respect from the players in the lockerroom. It also helps that he coached one of best D groups in the NHL. I like that he kept Allen the goalie coach.

2) Rochester - unlike TM, Jbot takes the Amerks and creating a winning organization seriously. His hiring of former NHL GM and fellow Pitt alum Sexton to run says that load and clear. So does 6 /7 excellent FAs including scoring forwards, a good goalie, and NHL experienced D in Fedun and Tennyson.

3) Free Agency - while not over yet, I like his measured approach. He added cheap but with excellent upside depth on LW in Pouliot, and added an experienced backup in goal who can carry us if Lehner gets injured or doesn't play well and will keep Ullmark starting in Rochester to help his development. Smart. I hope more depth is coming on LW, but he may try an internal solution there first.

We also still have to sign most of our RFA's. Getting Ullmark done was a good start as was not overpaying to keep Foligno. The contact for Lehner and Baloo will be the most interesting to watch.

4) Expansion Draft - He wasn't able to get rid of any of the Craptastic 4 (thanks Drunkard) but he as able to protect Ullmark which was more important once Peterson bolted for the cost of a 6th and Carrier. Given the Foligno trade, the loss of Carrier hurts more, but again hopefully Baptiste or Bailey can fill hat void.

5) Trades - 2 for 2? Baloo for a 3rd was a no brainer the Sabres. Housley might turn this kid into Ryan Ellis and the trade will be up there with the Hasek, Satan, and Briere deals in Sabres history. If not a 3rd for a 24 yr old starter is still a steal. Pommers/Scandella for Marcus/Ennis was a deal tha sacrificed some cap for an upgrade on D we desperately needed. No choice.

6) Draft - we needed scoring help, goaltending and D coming into the draft. We got a high skilled scoring center, additional C depth, a top goaltender and if one of the off the board D comes through, then we added D deph as well.

Overall an excellent job in difficult circumstances.

Edited by GASabresFan

I'm very happy with JB so far. I was upset about the draft at first but others on this board have successfully showed me the importance of BPA.

Our defense is virtually fixed imo, though we can't be certain til they start playing obviously. Still may be more moves to come.

Love the Housley hiring and the Scandella/ Pominville grab was Darcy- level legendary.

Only question is what to do with Kane. I hope we can extend him but if not hope we can get a decent return.

I really like how he's focused on building two teams. I think things are finally coming around for us.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

I'm satisfied but I know a lot of things may have been started under GMTM. I'll be interested to see what he does in the coming years with contracts for our important guys and whether he can do a good job with the value players that you need to win in the league.

I voted "not sure" and am still very skeptical that this is a playoff contender. I like the work that JB has done so far, but I still think that more needs to be done before the season starts:

1. re-sign Gionta to a cheap, 1-year contract but without the captaincy (give the C to Eichel and the A's to O'Reilly and McCabe)

2. get rid of Moulson and replace with a genuine scoring stop-gap LW...Vanek is a good option.

3. get rid of Gorges and replace with a solid RHD prospect.

4. sign Eichel and Kane to new contracts before they hit free agency next summer.

I'm satisfied but I know a lot of things may have been started under GMTM. I'll be interested to see what he does in the coming years with contracts for our important guys and whether he can do a good job with the value players that you need to win in the league.

This is a fair point. Antipin, who I didn't mention for that reason, was clearly a TM acquisition.

P.S. who voted that the team is moving in the wrong direction? I'd love to know why you feel that way.

Edited by GASabresFan

We should be calling this guy Robot. I'm more than happy with the calculated way he's gone about retooling this roster and the way he's reshaping rochester to make it an actual pipeline. Competition at every position now and in camp. Guys already know there are opportunities and the players that produce will get a shot. He's addressed the ' D ' and it looks like he's doing everything he can to make the system that Housley wants to implement a reality thereby putting the coach in a position to succeed as well.     

I voted "not sure" and am still very skeptical that this is a playoff contender. I like the work that JB has done so far, but I still think that more needs to be done before the season starts:

1. re-sign Gionta to a cheap, 1-year contract but without the captaincy (give the C to Eichel and the A's to O'Reilly and McCabe)

2. get rid of Moulson and replace with a genuine scoring stop-gap LW...Vanek is a good option.

3. get rid of Gorges and replace with a solid RHD prospect.

4. sign Eichel and Kane to new contracts before they hit free agency next summer.

1. To what end?  Where does he fit in, with the addition of Pommers?

2. How to get rid of Moulson? 

3. How to get rid of Gorges?  I don't see buyout as a viable option for either of these two.

4. Agreed.

Can we not call him JBot?

Call him whatever you like.  I prefer JBot.

I like the direction were heading for sure, couldn't be happier with the HC choice since he was who i wanted since Bylsma was fired, Love the Rochester HC/AGM hirings, the trade for Scandella was a solid deal for us, we robbed Montreal when we got Beaulieu from the Habs, we should be improved on our D. The only area I'm disappointed right now is FA, were real weak at LW especially with an injury but other than that it's been a solid offseason, wasn't a fan of Middlestadt either, a HS kid who's going to play at College, we haven't had much luck with these college players other than Eichel but he was always playing immediately.

1. To what end? Where does he fit in, with the addition of Pommers?

2. How to get rid of Moulson?

3. How to get rid of Gorges? I don't see buyout as a viable option for either of these two.

4. Agreed.

Call him whatever you like. I prefer JBot.

Re:2 we flip Gorges at the deadline for a 3rd rounder for a contender looking for depth

I'm happy so far. Would have loved to see him bribe Vegas to take Moulson but he did manage to move Ennis for a more productive player while improving the defense at the same time.

I'm happy he managed not to fumble the ball from Murray by signing Antipin and the trade for Beaulieu seems like a no brainer.

The free agency signings seem low risk, although I'd like to pick up another left winger since we moved out 3 (Foligno, Ennis, and Carrier) and only signed Pouliot at the position but I imagine Girgensons or Larsson is also shifting to wing full time.

I'd also like to see Reinhart move to center but I think that will be Housley's call.

Edited by Drunkard

What I like from the new GM is the emphasis on building the team from the bottom up. The previous failed GM sacrificed the foundation by trying to build from the top down. The utter failure in Rochester was a sign that any success (which never happened anyway) under the previous GM would only be temporary. The foundation was neglected.

The new GM understands the importance of building the farm system! I said repeatedly that the Sabres would never achieve success until the Amerks were good and they never were good under Murray.

Any conclusions about Botterill are clearly premature, but I like the general direction and philosophy so far. If he can build the structure of the organization to be sustainable over many years by developing and acquiring good talent, I am cautiously optimistic for the future. I was never optimistic about the surly and negative demeanor of Tim Murray.  

The Sabres may have just come through one most important transitions in franchise history. I think has done a very good and measured job of seeing the team through it.

1) Coaching - He has hired a coach, albeit a rookie one, with tremendous upside from an excellent organization who because of his HOF player status garners instant respect from the players in the lockerroom. It also helps that he coached one of best D groups in the NHL. I like that he kept Allen the goalie coach.

2) Rochester - unlike TM, Jbot takes the Amerks and creating a winning organization seriously. His hiring of former NHL GM and fellow Pitt alum Sexton to run says that load and clear. So does 6 /7 excellent FAs including scoring forwards, a good goalie, and NHL experienced D in Fedun and Tennyson.

3) Free Agency - while not over yet, I like his measured approach. He added cheap but with excellent upside depth on LW in Pouliot, and added an experienced backup in goal who can carry us if Lehner gets injured or doesn't play well and will keep Ullmark starting in Rochester to help his development. Smart. I hope more depth is coming on LW, but he may try an internal solution there first.

We also still have to sign most of our RFA's. Getting Ullmark done was a good start as was not overpaying to keep Foligno. The contact for Lehner and Baloo will be the most interesting to watch.

4) Expansion Draft - He wasn't able to get rid of any of the Craptastic 4 (thanks Drunkard) but he as able to protect Ullmark which was more important once Peterson bolted for the cost of a 6th and Carrier. Given the Foligno trade, the loss of Carrier hurts more, but again hopefully Baptiste or Bailey can fill hat void.

5) Trades - 2 for 2? Baloo for a 3rd was a no brainer the Sabres. Housley might turn this kid into Ryan Ellis and the trade will be up there with the Hasek, Satan, and Briere deals in Sabres history. If not a 3rd for a 24 yr old starter is still a steal. Pommers/Scandella for Marcus/Ennis was a deal tha sacrificed some cap for an upgrade on D we desperately needed. No choice.

6) Draft - we needed scoring help, goaltending and D coming into the draft. We got a high skilled scoring center, additional C depth, a top goaltender and if one of the off the board D comes through, then we added D deph as well.

Overall an excellent job in difficult circumstances.

Very nice breakdown, GA.

I am happy with JBot so far.  If he can do something with Moulson I will sing his praises from the rooftops.

I have a strong suspicion there's at least one, and possibly two shoes left to drop before the season starts.  Kane and Lehner need to be sorted out, and I think that "out" is how they'll be sorted (based solely upon the opinion of this particular message board JAG with no articulable basis for it). 

The question becomes, what comes back?

Will it be a strike against him if he doesn't make a deal for a LW?

Depends on the youngs stepping up. Still think this year may be a bit of a feeling out year. If they are not playing better by midway an its obvious scoring is still an issue then yes, but with lattitude till trade deadline.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.