How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

I call BS on Kane doing well because it is a contract year.  For all the warts that have been brought up about Kane, on ice effort has never been one of them.  His rep is that he plays hard, plays hurt, and doesn't back down.  This is Evander Kane.

Agree.

I think he is bad for Jack and since we are in last with him, we can be last without him. Trade him while his value is high. We need the assets.

If ever there was a squad that needed to make room for a player, this team is it.  He's the only bright spot out there.  If the kids can't work well with him, then maybe the kids are the problem.  Kane is doing everything that he can out there, and you can't really say that about any other skater right now.

With each loss, this decision gets easier for Jbot. Kane at top form isn’t really making this team better and it’s becoming crystal clear that we are years away from being competitive. So why invest 49 mill in another player, when it won’t help the team move forward at this point? We are already saddled with contracts that will be a negative like ROR’s and KO’s.

With each loss, this decision gets easier for Jbot. Kane at top form isn’t really making this team better and it’s becoming crystal clear that we are years away from being competitive. So why invest 49 mill in another player, when it won’t help the team move forward at this point? We are already saddled with contracts that will be a negative like ROR’s and KO’s.

It is an entertainment industry.  We've been sold a future that never comes for almost a decade now.  Instead of taking away the only dynamic players on team for a false hope of the future, we should be jettisoning the actual mistakes of the last 5 years.  And Kane has not been a mistake.

I call BS on Kane doing well because it is a contract year.  For all the warts that have been brought up about Kane, on ice effort has never been one of them.  His rep is that he plays hard, plays hurt, and doesn't back down.  This is Evander Kane.

If ever there was a squad that needed to make room for a player, this team is it.  He's the only bright spot out there.  If the kids can't work well with him, then maybe the kids are the problem.  Kane is doing everything that he can out there, and you can't really say that about any other skater right now.

That is exactly what I have seen from him. Yes we know he only finishes some of the time but at least he works his @ss off compared to a lot of the players on this squad. The problem with giving 2 players big money is if your a player making less and playing better then you feel you deserve that same type of money. Lets face it Jack isn't worth 10 million right now or even going forward. As much as I like O'Reilly he isn't even worth the money they are paying him. This team is a disaster right now. Top 3 pick here we come unless they finally figure it out way too late like always.

It is an entertainment industry. We've been sold a future that never comes for almost a decade now. Instead of taking away the only dynamic players on team for a false hope of the future, we should be jettisoning the actual mistakes of the last 5 years. And Kane has not been a mistake.

I’m not disputing Kane’s effort this season or the fact he has played hard each game all season. It’s just becoming very clear that we are years away from being competitive and to add another big salary right now when we need to build properly just doesn’t make sense.

I’m not disputing Kane’s effort this season or the fact he has played hard each game all season. It’s just becoming very clear that we are years away from being competitive and to add another big salary right now when we need to build properly just doesn’t make sense.

How about building properly by keeping the best players and replacing the ones that aren't performing?  What a novel concept.

Blows my mind that we are still talking about building for something that might be good 3-5 years down the road.  How many years are we supposed to continue that mindset?  YGFKM

How about building properly by keeping the best players and replacing the ones that aren't performing?  What a novel concept.

Blows my mind that we are still talking about building for something that might be good 3-5 years down the road.  How many years are we supposed to continue that mindset?  YGFKM

We haven’t had competent management in over a decade, which is why we are in this position. Sadly, this is actually the 1st yr of the proper rebuild.

We haven’t had competent management in over a decade, which is why we are in this position. Sadly, this is actually the 1st yr of the proper rebuild.

Is it though? Why do we have any confidence whatsoever a rebuild starting now won't blow up in our faces like the last one did? The last one was such a sure thing according to this place.

Is it though? Why do we have any confidence whatsoever a rebuild starting now won't blow up in our faces like the last one did? The last one was such a sure thing according to this place.

No guarantees, but I’ve seen more positive decisions from Jbot so far then we ever saw from DR or TM, such as leaving Guhle in Roch, value signings like Pouliot, a real hockey trade Foligno/Ennis for Pommers/Scandella etc..

We also have seen Jbot and his team turn around Roch in one season after years of neglect.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The best case senerio here just might be we trade him for draft picks which might turn into nothing good. I don't see a great player coming our way via trade at the deadline, maybe a prospect with potential but nothing super special.

If  they trade him, it had better be for current players.  Which means it needs to happen in 2017.

No guarantees, but I’ve seen more positive decisions from Jbot so far then we ever saw from DR or TM, such as leaving Guhle in Roch, value signings like Pouliot, a real hockey trade Foligno/Ennis for Pommers/Scandella etc..

We also have seen Jbot and his team turn around Roch in one season after years of neglect.

Maybe not you but this place was as high on TM as any person I've seen.

And Rochester had a near identical start to last season IIRC. It's early.

And Botts hired the current coach who hasn't been impressive so far.

I'll trust him when I see this team winning playoff games and not before

Kane played like this last year and the year before too, it's not because it's a contract year.

Yup. The contract year thing is the laziest argument going.

Wholeheartedly agree.

My personal take is Evander will make up JBot’s mind for him.

The guy is desperate to play in the playoffs and every game is a reminder of how far away that remains here.

So he'll keep Kane because he wants to see his playoff aptitude here, eventually? :p

And it makes sense to rebuild around the 6th highest goal scorer in the NHL.  We tanked for 2+ seasons to try and find talent like that.  You don't trade them unless you just can't sign them. They are scarce enough to warrant losing on purpose in some eyes.

And it makes sense to rebuild around the 6th highest goal scorer in the NHL.  We tanked for 2+ seasons to try and find talent like that.  You don't trade them unless you just can't sign them. They are scarce enough to warrant losing on purpose in some eyes.

The thing is we can't sign him. If we do we lock our Top 6 Fs. Okposo is nearly worthless, Reinhart is a winger, Eichel and ROR are ok, and we have 2 other spots total. Based on money we can't sign him without sacrificing Reinhart and a potential Dman upgrade we desperately need. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.