How much should Kane' s extension be?

I-90 W

95 members have voted

1. 1. How long should the exension be for?

• 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
  2. 2. How much $ should the extension offer be?

• $4.5 m
    • $5.5 m
    • $6.5 m
    • $7 m

So, let's sum it up:

• Kane kept his nose clean recently, but he probably will do something crazy off the ice again, because he's Kane.
  • No one has reported any locker room problems with him, but he probably is a problem in the locker room, because he's Kane
  • He's scored on a 30-goal pace last year in a bad system for offense, but he probably won't again this year, because of math and the fact that he's Kane
  • He could probably get 6-7mil on the open market, but we shouldn't give it to him, because he's Kane
  • He and Eichel had their best offensive production when they played together, but that's not called chemistry, because he's Kane
  • Chemistry and a chance to play with one of the best players in the league notwithstanding, he won't want to stay in Buffalo, because he's Kane

Am I finally getting it?

The Kane argument is never about ability, it's about value for your money in a cap world.
He's a good player.

Agree 100%

But most are diminishing the latter

Edited by ericcomposer72

So, let's sum it up:

• He's scored on a 30-goal pace last year in a bad system for offense, but he probably won't again this year, because of math and the fact that he's Kane
  • He could probably get 6-7mil on the open market, but we shouldn't give it to him, because he'll get $7M+ because he's Kane
  • He and Eichel had their best offensive production when they played together, but that's not called chemistry, because they play different styles because he's Kane
  • Chemistry and a chance to play with one of the best players in the league notwithstanding, he won't want to stay in Buffalo, because he is from Vancouver and publicly posts his love for things Buffalo cannot offer; night life, events, etc. because he's Kane

Am I finally getting it?

Agree 100%

No you are definitely not getting it. 

because he's Kane

Kane isn't a 30 goal scorer because we can predict he will miss 10-15games in any given year. He is a volume scorer. That means he has to shoot 300times a year to score 30goals roughly. His speed is great and he is physical. I don't think he is great with Eichel but maybe I am wrong. My issue boils down to this, is Evander Kane worth 7mil X6 years and I can't get to that threshold. I put him at 6mil X4 years. 

Kane isn't a 30 goal scorer because we can predict he will miss 10-15games in any given year. He is a volume scorer. That means he has to shoot 300times a year to score 30goals roughly. His speed is great and he is physical. I don't think he is great with Eichel but maybe I am wrong. My issue boils down to this, is Evander Kane worth 7mil X6 years and I can't get to that threshold. I put him at 6mil X4 years. 

Exactly. I will take the latter. But I do not want to be stuck with a $7M cap hit until Kane is 33 with how inconsistent he is

Kane scored a lot with Eichel but again look at their defensive numbers together

They're not conducive to winning hockey games.

I agree, neither are strong defensively. I think Wowie can find a better, more balanced line for Kane. I only mentioned it to show that he's capable of chemistry (many people here don't think he is)

Edited by ericcomposer72

I agree with those numbers on a 4 year contract. Last thing we want is to get sucked in to a long term contract that will take him into his declining years. Then we end up paying him for 10 years on a buyout like Ehrhoff, or Coney Hotdog.

Forgot about that post. Out of context, not my best post

I figured as much. Was just giving you a hard time. We all have them.

I agree with those numbers on a 4 year contract. Last thing we want is to get sucked in to a long term contract that will take him into his declining years. Then we end up paying him for 10 years on a buyout like Ehrhoff, or Coney Hotdog.

I figured as much. Was just giving you a hard time. We all have them.

Figured as much, just didn't want someone else to see that and cause a sht storm :lol:

One interesting question IMHO is whether any NHL GM would give Kane a 7-year deal. 

We can go back and forth on whether the "antics" meme is fair or not, but it's indisputable that Kane is perceived by many to come with baggage. 

Will an NHL GM be willing to risk giving him, say, $6MM x 7 years, knowing that if he does, and then Kane skips practice/gets arrested/clashes with teammates, and then the team misses the playoffs -- that is a big honking black mark against that GM? 

If another team won't give Kane a long-term deal, does it make it more likely that he re-signs here?  Or, if Kane gets to the point where he learns that other teams won't give him that kind of contract, will it be too late for him to return to the Sabres anyway?

One interesting question IMHO is whether any NHL GM would give Kane a 7-year deal. 

We can go back and forth on whether the "antics" meme is fair or not, but it's indisputable that Kane is perceived by many to come with baggage. 

Will an NHL GM be willing to risk giving him, say, $6MM x 7 years, knowing that if he does, and then Kane skips practice/gets arrested/clashes with teammates, and then the team misses the playoffs -- that is a big honking black mark against that GM? 

If another team won't give Kane a long-term deal, does it make it more likely that he re-signs here?  Or, if Kane gets to the point where he learns that other teams won't give him that kind of contract, will it be too late for him to return to the Sabres anyway?

I don't think he would get $7m in the open market unless it's a team completely desperate for scoring.  If such a team could be identified he has to know he's going to a very bad team and that might just bring him back.  I don't think a healthy organization gives him that kind of money.

I don't think he would get $7m in the open market unless it's a team completely desperate for scoring.  If such a team could be identified he has to know he's going to a very bad team and that might just bring him back.  I don't think a healthy organization gives him that kind of money.

I think if he plays anything like he did last season, he easily gets $7M

hey, hey, whoa - hold up there a minute.

:bag:

See korab (loved that guy by the way) I don't think we are "ready to contend now" and without more changes we are only marginally better than last year.

Duchene I would trade for, and yes I know all his potential pitfalls and that argument can be found in the Duchene thread but I think he'd be a better fit than Reinhart. It wouldn't be a 1 for 1 but Avs want a young potential in the deal make that trade around Sam.

I don't know who we get for Kane, don't know who would want him. I would have maybe said Flyers but Hextall's been pretty shrewd now and seems to be looking to his kids so maybe a guy like Kane is no longer on their radar. Still, if they've given up on Goethstisbeher (or whatever you spell it as) I'd look at him as a potential guy Housley could develop into a superstar. No idea who is available though, I don't really follow the rosters of other teams much.

Who wants Kane that'd be the first question? 

If you want to trade for duchene with Reinhart as the center piece you are going to have to add a first and Guhle.  You are giving up a cost controlled reinhart who is at worse 5/6 of duchene, for a player about with two years left at a much higher price than reinhart.

The flyers just signed Gostisbehere to a 6 year 27 million contract.  I doubt they are looking to move him, but anything is possible.  

Who knows what Kane's value is on the trade market. If you think you are going to get back a 28 goal scorer for either Kane or Reinhart, well, you really ought to study past trades across the league.  It will require gutting our prospects taking back a major albatross of a contract, or both.  

I think if he plays anything like he did last season, he easily gets $7M

I agree with this.  Very few players in the league who score 25+ goals a year are as hard to play against as Kane.  He is the kind of guy you want in a playoff series.  His speed and aggression will give the other team's D fits.  When the Sabres make the playoffs, I want a player like him on the team.  I would do 6x6 years.  Assuming he is playing well and no problems, sign him to that contract before the trade deadline.  If not, move him.  Cant let a player like him walk for nothing

I agree with this.  Very few players in the league who score 25+ goals a year are as hard to play against as Kane.  He is the kind of guy you want in a playoff series.  His speed and aggression will give the other team's D fits.  When the Sabres make the playoffs, I want a player like him on the team.  I would do 6x6 years.  Assuming he is playing well and no problems, sign him to that contract before the trade deadline.  If not, move him.  Cant let a player like him walk for nothing

I am of this mind too... though still concerned and would rather go with 4 for 7 if that is even an option. Kane has too many ifs to be sure and makes him a gamble either lowering his worth or term. But I'd rather keep him for his playoff as you said agression... ideal for it. Guess we will see as this season plays out and how he buys into the new system.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.