Qualifying offers given (and not given)...

Sabre fan

Apparently we gave qualifying offers to: Forwards Marcus Foligno, Zemgus Girgensons, Johan Larsson, Evan Rodrigues; defenseman Nathan Beaulieu; goaltender Robin Lehner.

Meanwhile, we did not bother with: Justin Kea, Brady Austin, Jean Dupuy

I think Brady Austin will go somewhere and turn into a pretty good defenseman. Kea and Dupuy did not seem to fit in anywhere.

Gotta says this sucks because  Austin was born and raised in Bobcaygeon which is like 25 minutes from where I live and he went to the same high schools my sons and they remember seeing him around. Kea was born in Woodville, another small town maybe 20 minutes away (in a different direction). Was hoping maybe both would somehow stick with he big team but again this shows that being drafted does not mean much of anything. Both were higher picks.

Edited by Sabre fan

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/avalanche-fail-extend-qualifying-offer-mikhail-grigorenko/

This has probably been posted elsewhere, and not sure if this thread is exclusively Sabres qualifying offers, but I found it interesting that Grigorenko is now an UFA. 

If you can't cut it in Colorado these days...KHL has gotta be next I would think. 

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/avalanche-fail-extend-qualifying-offer-mikhail-grigorenko/

This has probably been posted elsewhere, and not sure if this thread is exclusively Sabres qualifying offers, but I found it interesting that Grigorenko is now an UFA. 

If you can't cut it in Colorado these days...KHL has gotta be next I would think. 

Grigorenko and Yakupov both cut free...crazy to think EXGMTM stole O'Reilly and McGinn who I loved for Grigorenko and another big bust, d-man Zadorov and Compher who all may never really amount to anything. Still cannot figure out why people were so quick to jump on EXGMTM when this trade alone should make him a folk-hero around here.

Grigorenko and Yakupov both cut free...crazy to think EXGMTM stole O'Reilly and McGinn who I loved for Grigorenko and another big bust, d-man Zadorov and Compher who all may never really amount to anything. Still cannot figure out why people were so quick to jump on EXGMTM when this trade alone should make him a folk-hero around here.

I think most people were happy with that trade.  The things that soured me on him were: 1. Mismanagement of cap; 2. Failure to improve defense; 3. Hiring Disco Dan; and the thing I think that got him fired, 4. Failure to improve year-on-year.

No kidding. That was a Briere - Grattan level fleecing, except this time everyone knew how good ROR is.

I think most people were happy with that trade. The things that soured me on him were: 1. Mismanagement of cap; 2. Failure to improve defense; 3. Hiring Disco Dan; and the thing I think that got him fired, 4. Failure to improve year-on-year.

Hiring Dan and sticking with him. That was Murray's biggest sin outside the defense failure.

makes one wonder how the heck GM Sakic and whoever keep their jobs...worse trade possibly ever

Bad ownership. At least Pegulas expects progress.

Like when he took Karabacek over McKeown and Dougherty and Montour. 

Lemieux over barbashev pissed me off to, but we had 3 2nd rounders.

And we picked Lemieux (which I can live with a bit), Cornel and karabacek.  Any of those D + Dvorak would have been a lot better.

Edited by Huckleberry

Au contraire! We should dig the O'Reilly debate out of the archive for review--I remember the price paid being quite contentious.

I don't remember many thinking ROR wasn't good, just that Girgs was going to be as good (erm) and there was no guarantee he was going to stay. I was wrong on both of those accounts.

Brady Austin took 5 years to turn into an average AHL defenseman. I don't think we need to worry about him Dennis Widemaning us.

Agree. And really like using "Dennis Widemaning" as a verb.

But does he have good skating and speed. We all need to realize size is not a priority for this team now.

thought his skating and speed were ok better than folk give him credit for. Again, Rochester coaching system stunk but with big club seemed to adapt well.

I don't remember many thinking ROR wasn't good, just that Girgs was going to be as good (erm) and there was no guarantee he was going to stay. I was wrong on both of those accounts.

Fair. I was getting more at plenty didn't think he was worth the price, not necessarily they didn't think he was a good player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.