Around the NHL 2017

spndnchz

This is Duclair's second consecutive bad season. He had 15 points last year! Ya know, the year that Sam had 47. Duclair's value is much closer to that of Girgensons than it is to Reinhart.

I'd still do it, if they add a bit. Reinhart does nothing for me (or the team) at this stage.

We'll see Reinhart's second consecutive bad season soon enough if we keep him, and he's trending even lower than Duclair is currently.

1 assist in his last 15 games. Hasn't scored a goal since mid November. Even paired with Eichel the last few. His already bad season is getting worse.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

This is Duclair's second consecutive bad season. He had 15 points last year! Ya know, the year that Sam had 47. Duclair's value is much closer to that of Girgensons than it is to Reinhart.

Reinhart scores more points last season then his rookie year, labeled a bad year by fans.

I'm pissed at Reinhart right now, but I'm not trading him for Duclair.

Well, Duclair is pacing at 36 points over 82 games this season. I'd say he's closer to Reinhart than Girgensons.

Career points per game:

Reinhart - .495

Duclair - .422

Girgensons - .298

This season:

Duclair - .433

Reinhart - .297

Girgensons - .188

Edited by Bjorn Borg

Except he’s not.

Based on what? Statistically Duclair is having a better season. Because we've seen Reinhart do better in previous seasons means he's playing better than he is right now?

In the same sample size where Reinhart has 1 assist in his last 15 games, Duclair has 4 goals and 2 assists, including a hat trick.

I am not going to throw out four years of watching because of production shown in two 15-game segments - players have slumps and hot streaks, players have good and bad seasons.

I think Duclair is a better skater, has slightly better one on one offensive skill and a better shot. I think Reinhart has a far better head for the game, is better 5 on 5, is a better passer, is far more positionally sound on both ends of the ice, is more willing to go to traffic areas, is more versatile, and is more dedicated to his craft.

Basically, I’d give the edge to Duclair streaking through the neutral zone on the rush, and to Sam in pretty much every other situation.

I am not going to throw out four years of watching because of production shown in two 15-game segments - players have slumps and hot streaks, players have good and bad seasons.

I think Duclair is a better skater, has slightly better one on one offensive skill and a better shot. I think Reinhart has a far better head for the game, is better 5 on 5, is a better passer, is far more positionally sound on both ends of the ice, is more willing to go to traffic areas, is more versatile, and is more dedicated to his craft.

Basically, I’d give the edge to Duclair streaking through the neutral zone on the rush, and to Sam in pretty much every other situation.

I'm not throwing out 4 years of watching, I'm simply saying that over the current half-season Duclair has been the better player. Statistically this appears to hold true.

Whatever skills we think Reinhart has, he's currently lacking application and execution.

Edit: I think we are just arguing different things. You are saying, I believe, that you never expect to see Duclair as the better player overall at any point in time, whereas I'm talking about seeing him as the better player over a given stretch.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

You are saying we should trade Reinhart for Duclair; to me that is throwing out four seasons of watching them play.

You aren’t going to agree - youve complained about him in every game thread - but I think Reinhart has played a lot better recently.

What he hasn’t done is produced, and a player with his skill set has to produce.

Getting open in the final minutes against the Islanders and slamming a wrister into Halak’s arm when he could have put the game away is a microcosm of where his game is right now.

I am not certain if Sam will ever be good; I still think his skill set is better suited for a different game than he has been coached to play in the NHL, but maybe We’ve is right and that game will never translate.

I remain convinced that he will play through this slump, and ultimately he will be fine.

But, I also remain an optimistic Sabre fan, so god knows I’ve been wrong many times before.

You are saying we should trade Reinhart for Duclair; to me that is throwing out four seasons of watching them play.

You aren’t going to agree - youve complained about him in every game thread - but I think Reinhart has played a lot better recently.

What he hasn’t done is produced, and a player with his skill set has to produce.

Getting open in the final minutes against the Islanders and slamming a wrister into Halak’s arm when he could have put the game away is a microcosm of where his game is right now.

I am not certain if Sam will ever be good; I still think his skill set is better suited for a different game than he has been coached to play in the NHL, but maybe We’ve is right and that game will never translate.

I remain convinced that he will play through this slump, and ultimately he will be fine.

But, I also remain an optimistic Sabre fan, so god knows I’ve been wrong many times before.

Nope, I definitely agree with that.

It's just that "better", relative to what he was, has resulted in 1 point in 15 games. He has been better. But this version of Reinhart is still woefully inadequate.

Note to self: remember to avoid pointing out Sam's shortcomings in GDTs from now on, which is viewed as complaining, and instead focus on how much of a detriment Kane and Lehner are to our team.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

Reinhart has sucked this year. The question is why and can it be fixed?

He's getting scoring chances but his shot is terrible, and he still needs to get stronger on his skates.

Can it be fixed? Sure, but he needs to put the work in.

That said I think he gets moved in the summer.

He's getting scoring chances but his shot is terrible, and he still needs to get stronger on his skates.

Can it be fixed? Sure, but he needs to put the work in.

That said I think he gets moved in the summer.

It's his all time low trade value. I csn understand wanting to move on but the timing couldn't be worse.

It's his all time low trade value. I csn understand wanting to move on but the timing couldn't be worse.

If Botterill does indeed choose to move him, his RFA status after a low-bar season may be attractive to some GMs.

He still has that draft pedigree and potential, but other than that, ya, his value has got to be as low as it's been. I still think there's value for a trade all things considered, it'll all depend on what Botterill is thinking, how much he wants to move him, if at all.

Random funny stat:

Stephen Burtch@SteveBurtch 48m48 minutes ago

More

Kyle Turris has 9 points as a Senator this year - which is 3 more than Matt Duchene - in roughly half the ice time.

I love that stat. One of my friends is a big sens fan and I told him this trade was bad for them Duchene is not really any better than Turris he now agrees with me

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.