Buffalo Sabres Defense, Upgrades

LGR4GM

Antipin and Beaulieu have been added to a defense corp that was more like a defense corpse. Right now you could argue that our lines have:

McCabe - Risto

Anitpin - Bogo

Baloo - ? Gorges

Guhle - Fedun

Is that good enough to make the playoffs or do we need more upgrades? Do you like what Botterill has done thus far?

Edited by LGR4GM

Antipin and Beaulieu have been added to a defense corp that was more like a defense corpse. Right now you could argue that our lines have:

McCabe - Risto

Anitpin - Bogo

Baloo - ? Gorges

Guhle - Fedun

Is that good enough to make the playoffs or do we need more upgrades? Do you like what Botterill has done thus far?

Already looking much better. Of course we can't assume that Guhle is a lock for next year though I think he will be. I'm really happy with JB so far. Can't give him credit for Antipin as he fell into his lap but this trade today is a steal. Between this and the Housley announcement we've had an awesome week this week, and things are only getting started.

McCabe - Risto

Anitpin - Bogo

Baloo - ? Gorges

Guhle - Fedun

McCabe - Ristolainen

Beaulieu - Antipin

Gorges - Bogosian

We'll see how it looks further based on the draft and further moves, but Beaulieu was an unexpected treat!

McCabe - Ristolainen

Beaulieu - Antipin

Gorges - Bogosian

We'll see how it looks further based on the draft and further moves, but Beaulieu was an unexpected treat!

I like that arrangement.

Botterill has potentially gone out and acquired an entirely new second pair, that if things go well could look to really help stabilize our defence while taking some of the load off Risto, before draft week even started (Although, as mentioned, GMTM certainly was a big help with Antipin). Only giving up a 3rd round pick during that process.

Pretty good start.

If we had a well-established/stable system then I'd be adamant for Guhle to be in Rochester until the All-Star Game getting top pairing, PP, PK time. But given the AHL staff and system will be new, too, I think he might force our hand and be our 6. Gorges could pair with him to be the steady protective vet and allow Guhle to rush and make mistakes.

Now that we we have Beaulieu, I'm very hopeful that Guhle gets his AHL tune-up time. Instead, I think Gorges pairs with Antipin and allows him to rush and acclimate to the smaller ice.

I'd like one more Beaulieu type acquisition and one more depth signing, and would be pleasantly surprised for a bigger acquisition (like, Scandella level d-man or higher).

I'm close to this, but I'd say the depth signing (Gorges/Falk to press box) is the only one I'm actively looking for, and the additional Beaulieu-type acquisition would be less likely, but a welcome bonus.

See very little chance of a larger acquisition.

Step-1 Do whatever it takes to get Bogo in Vegas, they are probably taking a serious look at taking him anyway.

Step 2- Make a run at Shattenkirk, 6x6M. I'd go up to 7x6.25M if it had to. He's definitely capable of earning that contract, we would have the room for it. Not usually one to want to make a big splash in free agency but he can move the puck and is great offensively. He'd still have trade value on that contract for 5 years.

Step 2B-(If 2 fails) Add another dman, ideally through free agency if not by trade.

Step 3- offense...

Both Pittsburgh and Nashville grew many of their players into who they are today. I see us doing the same.

I can see us standing pat with Risto,McCabe, Antipin, and Beaulieu being top 4.

They all have the skill sets Housley wants and are young enough to develop.

I think Gorges stays put for now. Last year of a $3.9 contract makes him instant trade bait at deadline. Allows Guhle and Nelson to further develop in Rochester

Guehle ends season in Buffalo once Gorges is traded.

I believe Housley wants a chance to redeem Bogosian. He was a good player prior to trade to Sabres and he's still young. With that much time left in his deal he gets next year to improve or he gets bought out.

I can see us drafting D who will be on team next year.

I can see our D starting 2018-19 being

Risto

McCabe

Beaulieu

Antipin

Guehle

Liljigren/Maker/Bogosian

Rock solid.

Edited by dejeanerret

Both Pittsburgh and Nashville grew many of their players into who they are today. I see us doing the same.

I think Gorges stays put for now. Last year of a $3.9 contract makes him instant trade bait at deadline. Allows Guhle and Nelson to further develop in Rochester

I believe Housley wants a chance to redeem Bogosian. He was a good player prior to trade to Sabres and he's still young. With that much time left in his deal he gets next year to improve or he gets bought out.

Risto

McCabe

Beaulieu

Antipin

Guehle

Liljigren/Maker/Bogosian

Rock solid.

All of this makes sense.

Risto

McCabe

Beaulieu

Antipin

Guehle

Liljigren/Maker/Bogosian

Rock solid.

Bogo's problem is he's brain dead in his own end. I can't see how Housleys firewagon attack fixes that.

Still have a long way to go here.

Beaulieu is a good value acquisition, but he is still only a #5, an upgrade because of his skating ability.

He's got the skills to be a top four, but his game needs work to get there. He was getting benched late in his Habs' career.

Again, Antipin improves our ability to move the puck and should improve our depth and therefore is a step in the right direction.

But he is still is a roll of the dice.

Essentially, we've upgraded Franson and Fedun. We still need the player we hoped Kulikov was going to be.

Edited by dudacek

Still have a long way to go here.

Beaulieu is a good value acquisition, but he is still only a #5, an upgrade because of his skating ability.

He's got the skills to be a top four, but his game needs work to get there. He was getting benched late in his Habs' career.

Again, Antipin improves our ability to move the puck and should improve our depth and therefore is a step in the right direction.

But he is still is a roll of the dice.

Essentially, we've upgraded Franson and Fedun. We still need the player we hoped Kulikov was going to be.

According to the Mon media, he was getting benched because he didn't play the more physical style that Claude wanted him to play.  Essentially he was a victim of a system change under the new coach.  Wowie will expect some physical play out of him also but not the crunch and run style Julian plays.  His game is a much better fit here.  

Edited by GASabresFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.