Head Coach Thread: What / Whom Do You Want, etc.?

Eleven

Funny cause Laviolettte is doing great but remember he was fired out of both Carolina (after winning their only Cup) and Philly...seems all coaches wear out their welcome at some point (even lindy who I thought may be here forever!)

I started as a definite no to Tocchet.  Seemed like an older retread, and the gambling thing didn't help.  Seemed like JAG.  I have been hearing quite a few positives lately that have me warming up to the idea if JBOT goes that way.  Kessel said that Tocchet was the best assistant coach he ever played for.  If Tocchet can relate to a D-Bag like Kessler, and relate to Crosby and Malkin at the same time, maybe there is something to him.  Not saying I want him here, but I'm more open to the idea than I was 3 weeks ago.

Edited by Tondas

J-Bot needs to pick the right coach for this particular core group (ROR, Eichel, Risto, Lehner)...   not necessarily whoever the pundits think the best candidate is on paper.   

Maybe Housley doesn't have enough experience to lead a young core.     Maybe Tocchet does, who knows, but one thing is for certain....  J-Bot needs to connect with the players and get a feeling for what kind of HC they need, then conduct his interviews accordingly and hire whoever he determines to be the best match.     As fans we just need to trust that he's doing his due diligence on both fronts.

J-Bot needs to pick the right coach for this particular core group (ROR, Eichel, Risto, Lehner)...   not necessarily whoever the pundits think the best candidate is on paper.   

Maybe Housley doesn't have enough experience to lead a young core.     Maybe Tocchet does, who knows, but one thing is for certain....  J-Bot needs to connect with the players and get a feeling for what kind of HC they need, then conduct his interviews accordingly and hire whoever he determines to be the best match.     As fans we just need to trust that he's doing his due diligence on both fronts.

This.  Great points.  Unless it's Housley this board will probably have a severe overreaction.  But this is the right away to approach it IMO.  That room was fractured to the core.  We need a leader that can come in and pick up the pieces more than an x's and o's guy.

This.  Great points.  Unless it's Housley this board will probably have a severe overreaction.  But this is the right away to approach it IMO.  That room was fractured to the core.  We need a leader that can come in and pick up the pieces more than an x's and o's guy.

I'm not so sure the room is that fractured.  I think it's a case that as a group, they've never had "good times" and have been frustrated by losing.  The thing they need more than anything else is some wins.  That will heal any perceived fractures.  If they come out any better than .500 (in wins, not points) in their first 10 games, they will begin to believe in the new coach's system, and believe that their failures over the last couple years were due to DD's system.  And any crap in the locker room will heal over.  I don't see Kane or Moulson or Ennis or Bogo as a cancer in the locker room at this point.  Get 10, 20 games into the season and the team will gel.  Anyone that doesn't (and it could be anyone), well maybe then we need to talk about fixing the room.

It's a new day.  Everyone gets a fresh start.

To be honest I am not strongly for or against any of the names mentioned and that would even include bringing Lindy back. I've always thought should have kept him and fired Darcy.

Edited by Radar

Knee-jerk reaction to Disco Dan's flaws perhaps, but more than anything else, I want a real leader of men, who has an understanding of chemistry and the ability to adapt.

I see no reason we can't have the best of both worlds: what you describe who also has the Xs and Os down.

Sounds like you want Krueger.

It's kinda like the GM search; unless it is known NHL quantity like Therrien, I have a hard time having strong feelings. You kinda have to trust that Jbot has a pretty clear vision of what he wants, that it is the right vision, and that he will be doing his homework on the candidates. He has said the right things.

That said, I do like me some Krueger.

I see no reason we can't have the best of both worlds: what you describe who also has the Xs and Os down.

Absolutely.

Edited by dudacek

I will react negatively IF Florida announces that Housley is their new coach, and a few days later, we announce 'it doesn't really even matter' as Buffalo's HC. I want to know that JBott signed who he wanted and the only way I will feel success is if Buffalo gets their coach in place before Florida. Yeah, still bitter that we lost Babcock and ended up with DB as a consolation prize.

I want Housley to be the next HC, the glaring weakness on the Sabres is the defense and I believe he is the right person to fix it.

There is turmoil in the locker room, it has been mentioned by Paul Hamilton, Rob Ray and Marty Biron at various points during the offseason. Hamilton went on to say that Kane was one of those involved. This is where the hiring of Rick Tocchet would get very muddled for the Sabres. If they want to stress character in the organization, what kind of message would hiring someone with a two year suspension on his resume send?

If the new coach is to restore order to the locker room, why would Kane listen someone telling him how to act both on and off the ice, when he has zero suspensions compared to Tocchet? Maybe Kane would like his style of coaching and respond to him. Who knows?

In the end Botterill has demonstrated he is good at picking coaches, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt on which ever coach he selects.

Interestingly Kris Knoblach of the Erie Otters has reported he has been contacted by a few organizations, I imagine Buffalo is one of them. Is it for the Sabres or Rochester though?

Lord Voldemort.

Anyways, I'm going to trust Botterill to find a good coach. The fact he hasn't just gone and got a, name already i think is good. He is at least being patient

I got the impression from the press conference that he was starting with a wide array of candidates and then narrowing it down to a few choices that he would introduce to the Pegula's to make a final call on.

I got the impression from the press conference that he was starting with a wide array of candidates and then narrowing it down to a few choices that he would introduce to the Pegula's to make a final call on.

Seems likely. He seems very methodical. He also is clearly trying to shore up the Sabres pipeline with his ECHL stuff and Rochester talk (and firing). Botterill seems like a man with a plan. Not a XGMTM type of plan but more of a step by step this is exactly how and when I will do things plan. Will it work? idk, but I will give him a chance. 

Seems likely. He seems very methodical. He also is clearly trying to shore up the Sabres pipeline with his ECHL stuff and Rochester talk (and firing). Botterill seems like a man with a plan. Not a XGMTM type of plan but more of a step by step this is exactly how and when I will do things plan. Will it work? idk, but I will give him a chance. 

Yep. Nothing to do but wait and see at this point. I'm not optimistic about another Pittsburgh person but I'm not in charge and I don't spend money on the product anyway so they have no need to care what I think. I'll always be a fan but I'm done pouring my money into them for Center Ice, merchandise, and occasional tickets.