Botterill Introductory Presser: 5-11-2017, 4pm EDT

WildCard

Look at the defensemen on Pittsburgh and how they were acquired. I bet we don't trade Samson OR Kane, and still fix our D.

Yup.

I get where you're coming from, but I think Sam has a quieter dynamism in him: think Bergeron, Zetterberg, Sedin.

I think Sam's career so far has been shaped by far too much deference to Jack

Respectfully, I can't agree with the description of Zetterberg's game as "quiet."  He was a major difference-maker at all times.

Be what guy? Hey it's interesting, when talking about our centers which I know you know Kane isn't, that he doesn't mention Reinhart. And 20m later he said he sees Sam as a winger right now.

But hey, appreciate it

Yea, because you are all like "Looks like I didn't read into anything" and yet you did just that. Botterill said he views player X y Z as hybrids and he likes that. So he even indicated he views sam as more than just a winger. So if you wanna be all like "told ya so" which is what you did basically, fine. 

Not very impressed. Dresses nice, but nothing of substance that gives me anything otberbthan the feeling he impressed TPegs in the same way Russ Brandon did. The "i don't care if your useless you present well and won't make a scene at the Country Club bar" way.

Thanks for your in-depth input. You probably wanted him to lay out exactly what? Stupid post. Oh he should have worn fatigues, sworn a little and got down and nasty? Do we really need this Russ Brandon crap in every discussion?

Edited by Radar

Patrick Sharp. Duly noted.

Was Sharp traded as a non-core element of CHI?

Changing of the guard.  Sharp was with Chicago for a decade, Anisimov was ready for a bigger role, Chicago needed D and cap savings.

I get where you're coming from, but I think Sam has a quieter dynamism in him: think Bergeron, Zetterberg, Sedin.

I think Sam's career so far has been shaped by far too much deference to Jack

I wouldn't call Zetterberg or Sedin in his prime quiet about being dynamic.

I also think you are right about Sam's career being shaped b deference to Jack.  But the reality is, there are two better C's on the team than Sam, and not enough wingers for a 3rd scoring center, so he goes where the benefit is greatest, #2 RW.   Would he be a center on, say, Ottawa?  Maybe.  Certainly more likely than here.  But here he is and he doesn't have the game at C that ROR and Jack have.  If teams are built at center ice, then you put the best centers on your roster in that position.  Sam is likely our 3rd best center, but is more valuable to us at #2 RW than he is at #3 C.

I also think you are right about Sam's career being shaped b deference to Jack.  But the reality is, there are two better C's on the team than Sam, and not enough wingers for a 3rd scoring center, so he goes where the benefit is greatest, #2 RW.   Would he be a center on, say, Ottawa?  Maybe.  Certainly more likely than here.  But here he is and he doesn't have the game at C that ROR and Jack have.  If teams are built at center ice, then you put the best centers on your roster in that position.  Sam is likely our 3rd best center, but is more valuable to us at #2 RW than he is at #3 C.

Agree.

Thanks for your in-depth input. You probably wanted him to lay out exactly what? Stupid post. Oh he should have worn fatigues, sworn a little and got down and nasty? Do we really need this Russ Brandon crap in every discussion?

I thought a man lauded for knowing every team's cap better than they do would have had at least a few names of our players to reference instead of Guenztal and Crosby.  He said nothing that GMTM had not already said.  I heard nothing that inspired an independent hockey first approach.  I heard an "executive" (countless references) who will carry on in a manner that won't cause the owner consternation.  And let's not forget who sat at the top in the Burgh.  Lemieux set the tone for excellence in that organization. They had the tools but he was the vision.  Everyone else executed.  I hope JBot is wildly successful,  but I was not blown away by the presser.  

We have no idea after a presser and a couple of interviews what JBot is going to with Reinhart or anyone else. He is going to start by interviewing the current employees and then hire a staff and then make player evaluations. We might not know where Sam ultimately plays until camp. Patience.

Would DD been more successful in Buffalo had JBot been hired instead of TM.

Yup.

Respectfully, I can't agree with the description of Zetterberg's game as "quiet."  He was a major difference-maker at all times.

He absolutely was a difference maker, same with Sedin. But neither of those guys dazzled you with his stickhandling, or his speed, or his shot, or the way they muscled you in the corners. They just made plays. I think Sam has that in him. We've seen it. Just not often enough.

He absolutely was a difference maker, same with Sedin. But neither of those guys dazzled you with his stickhandling, or his speed, or his shot, or the way they muscled you in the corners. They just made plays. I think Sam has that in him. We've seen it. Just not often enough.

I agree that Sam has game, but Zetterberg often made incredible plays that left my jaw hanging.

All of this info is stolen from the poster Jame on hfboards at this link: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2345761&page=5

"my favorite thing about the Botterill hire:

Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Daley
Dumoulin-Hainsey

Their blueline... taking them to the ECF was built with:

Cole for Bortuzzo and a 7th round pick (acquired deadline 2015)
Schultz for a 3rd round pick (acquired deadline 2016)
Maatta drafted 22nd overall
Daley for Scuderi (in season 2015-16)
Dumoulin acquired as a prospect as part of Staal package (2012)
Hainsey for 2nd round pick (deadline 2017)

We're not trading Reinhart for a defensemen."

Well, that's the $64 question, eh?

I can see -- and would like to see -- Reino excelling as a 17-18 min per game #3 center, with, say, Foligno and Ennis (or Bailey, or Baptiste, or Rodrigues, or Kane) on his wings.and plenty of PP time.  I can also see the team overall being stronger 5-on-5 with Reino in that role.

But I have to admit that it's wishful thinking -- and that I can also see him not excelling in that role -- at least not relative to the 23-27-50 guy he probably is pretty consistently as a #2 RW.

All of this info is stolen from the poster Jame on hfboards at this link: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2345761&page=5

"my favorite thing about the Botterill hire:

Cole-Schultz

Maatta-Daley

Dumoulin-Hainsey

Their blueline... taking them to the ECF was built with:

Cole for Bortuzzo and a 7th round pick (acquired deadline 2015)

Schultz for a 3rd round pick (acquired deadline 2016)

Maatta drafted 22nd overall

Daley for Scuderi (in season 2015-16)

Dumoulin acquired as a prospect as part of Staal package (2012)

Hainsey for 2nd round pick (deadline 2017)

We're not trading Reinhart for a defensemen."

Good stuff.  Thanks.

I'll also point out that the Penguins gave up zero when they signed Ruhwedel, who played 13 respectable ES minutes (zero PP or PK shifts) last night in a 2nd-round Game 7 win.

But I have to admit that it's wishful thinking -- and that I can also see him not excelling in that role -- at least not relative to the 23-27-50 guy he probably is pretty consistently as a #2 RW.

Yeah, that's the long and the short of it.  Can he be a 50pt+ guy with the likes of Foligno, Ennis, Bailey, Baptiste on his wings?  I don't think he can.

If Samson is going to be playing wing, even though he's had some magic moments with Jack in the past, I think those largely fizzled with the hopes of the season last year. I'd stick him on ROR's line and go for the speedy guys who can finish with Jack. Not sure who those will be yet - I'm praying for Baptiste to be ready to go honestly. 

Numbers guys, was Sam not at his most protective during a 20-game stint in the middle third of the year?

Wasn't he close to a point a game playing with mostly Kane and Bailey?

I believe he was at 20 points in 22 games during that stretch and leaking into games on either side of it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.