Botterill Introductory Presser: 5-11-2017, 4pm EDT

WildCard

Yea, because you are all like "Looks like I didn't read into anything" and yet you did just that. Botterill said he views player X y Z as hybrids and he likes that. So he even indicated he views sam as more than just a winger. So if you wanna be all like "told ya so" which is what you did basically, fine.

His words were I see Reinhart more as a winger. Then he mentioned hybrids and Larsson and Gigs and how he likes that. So he indicated he thinks Reinhart can play both, but he said right now he sees him as a winger. I've seen other posters say they heard the same thing

So no, I didn't read into anything. Thought it was an interesting comment, and it appears there is something to it.

All of this info is stolen from the poster Jame on hfboards at this link: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2345761&page=5

"my favorite thing about the Botterill hire:

Cole-Schultz

Maatta-Daley

Dumoulin-Hainsey

Their blueline... taking them to the ECF was built with:

Cole for Bortuzzo and a 7th round pick (acquired deadline 2015)

Schultz for a 3rd round pick (acquired deadline 2016)

Maatta drafted 22nd overall

Daley for Scuderi (in season 2015-16)

Dumoulin acquired as a prospect as part of Staal package (2012)

Hainsey for 2nd round pick (deadline 2017)

We're not trading Reinhart for a defensemen."

Good info, thanks for that Edited by WildCard

If Samson is going to be playing wing, even though he's had some magic moments with Jack in the past, I think those largely fizzled with the hopes of the season last year. I'd stick him on ROR's line and go for the speedy guys who can finish with Jack. Not sure who those will be yet - I'm praying for Baptiste to be ready to go honestly. 

I believe he was at 20 points in 22 games during that stretch and leaking into games on either side of it. 

I'm expecting that PP points were a big factor during that stretch, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

I'm expecting that PP points were a big factor during that stretch, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Let's take a look.

I've found the stretch - From 11/21/16 versus Calgary (I was there!) to 1/10/17 Sam Reinhart played 22 games and had 6 goals, 14 assists for 20 points. Of those, 3G/10A/13P were at ES, so 3G/4A/7P were on the power play. I'm not sure how we're defining "big factor" but this is 65% of his scoring coming at ES, which is essentially his season's average (though his ES scoring dried up at the end of the season big time) and actually down from his career rate of 70% of his scoring being at even strength. 

All of this info is stolen from the poster Jame on hfboards at this link: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2345761&page=5

"my favorite thing about the Botterill hire:[/size]Cole-Schultz[/size]Maatta-Daley[/size]Dumoulin-Hainsey[/size]Their blueline... taking them to the ECF was built with:[/size]Cole for [/size]Bortuzzo and a 7th round pick (acquired deadline 2015)[/size]Schultz for a [/size]3rd round pick (acquired deadline 2016)[/size]Maatta drafted [/size]22nd overallDaley for [/size]Scuderi (in season 2015-16)[/size]Dumoulin acquired as a prospect as part of [/size]Staal package (2012)[/size]Hainsey for [/size]2nd round pick (deadline 2017)[/size]We're not trading Reinhart for a defensemen."[/size]

Huh, we can make deals at the deadline that help the team both short and long-term. Who knew? Did anyone tell TM?

Interestingly, Eichel only scores 60% of his points at ES during his career. O'Reilly is 57% during his 2 years as a Sabre, but was 74% before coming here. Okposo scored 49% of his points at ES this season, but operated at 70% during his career at NYI. Steep drop offs from guys in their primes in terms of percentage of points at ES, but relatively consistent PP scoring and combining talents to build the best power play unit in the league (but it wasn't the system)

Let's take a look.

I've found the stretch - From 11/21/16 versus Calgary (I was there!) to 1/10/17 Sam Reinhart played 22 games and had 6 goals, 14 assists for 20 points. Of those, 3G/10A/13P were at ES, so 3G/4A/7P were on the power play. I'm not sure how we're defining "big factor" but this is 65% of his scoring coming at ES, which is essentially his season's average (though his ES scoring dried up at the end of the season big time) and actually down from his career rate of 70% of his scoring being at even strength. 

Beyond the numbers, I thought Sam looked like he was playing pretty well there.

He seems better when the game flows through him and that never happens on Jack's wing.

To Weave and Freeman - veterans fans who have seen plenty of young players grow — why do you think what we've seen is what we'll get, even though he's just 21 and only played two seasons.

But I'm tired of defending him. It's put up or shut up.

And I'll shut up if he doesn't hit 60 points next year, regardless of his position.

Edited by dudacek

Interestingly, Eichel only scores 60% of his points at ES during his career. O'Reilly is 57% during his 2 years as a Sabre, but was 74% before coming here. Okposo scored 49% of his points at ES this season, but operated at 70% during his career at NYI. Steep drop offs from guys in their primes in terms of percentage of points at ES, but relatively consistent PP scoring and combining talents to build the best power play unit in the league (but it wasn't the system)

It was the terrible D who couldn't get the puck 5on5

Beyond the numbers, I thought Sam looked like he was playing pretty well there.

He seems better when the game flows through him and that never happens on Jack's wing.

To Weave and Freeman - veterans fans who have seen plenty of young players grow — why do you think what we've seen is what we'll get, even though he's just 21 and only played two seasons.

But I'm tired of defending him. It's put up or shut up.

And I'll shut up if he doesn't hit 60 points next year, regardless of his position.

Players that end up great usually have flashes of greatness separated by mistakes and challenges that get overcome the next time they encounter them.  Sam is improving, but I don't see the flashes of greatness.  I see flashes of very good punctuated by mistakes and challenges to be overcome next time.

I'm talking about watching guys like Mogilny figure it out, or Turgeon (who def showed moments of brilliance on the ice at times), or Housley.  Andrechuck figured it out quickly.  I just don't see those dominating moments from Sam to put him in league with higher expectations.  I think he'll be very good.  I don't think he'll be any more than very good though.

You know what sucks, coming up with a list of home grown players that were great, to talk about what we saw during their growth, makes me realize just how few great home grown players this organization has had.  Once you get past the kids of the 70's, home grown great players are few and far between for this team.

Players that end up great usually have flashes of greatness separated by mistakes and challenges that get overcome the next time they encounter them.  Sam is improving, but I don't see the flashes of greatness.  I see flashes of very good punctuated by mistakes and challenges to be overcome next time.

I'm talking about watching guys like Mogilny figure it out, or Turgeon (who def showed moments of brilliance on the ice at times), or Housley.  Andrechuck figured it out quickly.  I just don't see those dominating moments from Sam to put him in league with higher expectations.  I think he'll be very good.  I don't think he'll be any more than very good though.

You know what sucks, coming up with a list of home grown players that were great, to talk about what we saw during their growth, makes me realize just how few great home grown players this organization has had.  Once you get past the kids of the 70's, home grown great players are few and far between for this team.

This is why I love that Botterill was so successful in Pittsburgh with the AHL team (that franchise owns the longest playoff streak at the NHL AND AHL level right now). It's time to grow our own guys. Nylander won't spend next year floundering alone with little help and little success - at the very least someone will be working with him to develop his skills regularly. He made a point to say that there is always someone at the AHL practices from the NHL front office in Pittsburgh, and how that sets expectations right out in the open for the players to see and work for. If the AGM from the Sabres is at a Saturday 8AM practice in Rochester and I'm Justin Bailey, you'd better believe I'm out there working just as hard as I would be before a big game with the big club, and not loafing around wasting development time. 

Rob Ray hanging an imaginary beard on a locker hook interesting?

It's hard to describe. He gave this little smile while listening to everyone's questions, but it was bigger for Mike's as he introduced himself and there was this knowing gleam in his eye. I think Pegula or someone whispered something in his ear about Mike before the PC started.

I finally got to see the press conference, it's on the official Sabres website now. JB looked and sounded great, only time he seemed uncomfortable imo was when asked about if tpegs will be involved in the HC hiring process. He answered it fine just seemed uneasy.

I'm really excited with this new direction. I didn't hear Sam mentioned at all so not sure where others are getting the wing comments from. Unless I missed a portion.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

I finally got to see the press conference, it's on the official Sabres website now. JB looked and sounded great, only time he seemed uncomfortable imo was when asked about if tpegs will be involved in the HC hiring process. He answered it fine just seemed uneasy.

I'm really excited with this new direction. I didn't hear Sam mentioned at all so not sure where others are getting the wing comments from. Unless I missed a portion.

That came during his WGR interview: http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/5-11-new-sabres-gm-jason-botterill-schopp-and-bulldogmp3

It's hard to describe. He gave this little smile while listening to everyone's questions, but it was bigger for Mike's as he introduced himself and there was this knowing gleam in his eye. I think Pegula or someone whispered something in his ear about Mike before the PC started.

Was that the head coach search question?

'Cause if so, I saw it too.

Read it as "oh yeah, Gibby warned me this loaded question was coming..."

But "ah, so you're Harrington..." works just as well.

I believe he said the phrase "not dump & chase"

:wub:

I'm not really buying this. Reinhart was a #2 overall pick and is very clearly a specific kind of player: a center. I really doubt that he doesn't know what kind of player Reinhart is. And if he does, and doesn't see him as a center, well we have bigger issues, or a trade.

Good god, don't read too much into the fact that he named two centers and Reinhadrt wasn't one of them.

All in all, an impressive hire. But I'll reserve judgement until I see his coach the Sabres win the Cup

fify

Good.  Gionta is the Captain of this team.  He should be there.

Gionta is an unsigned free agent.

Maybe Gionta's moving upstairs.  Either way, he's still the captain until a new one is selected.

O Captain! My Captain! our fearful trip is done...

One of the gaggle of assistants, perhaps?  Maybe he'll play a role in Rochester, his hometown. 

His flashes of greatness usually show in his passes, he sometimes gives a pass I don't see anyone else making.  I want him as our 3C.

What I noticed best about Reinhart when he has two fast wingers fore checking and the other team coughs it up, he comes trailing behind them at center ice ready to bury it home.

Probably why the kane - reinhart - bailey line looked so good to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.