Botterill Introductory Presser: 5-11-2017, 4pm EDT

WildCard

Development, communication, accountability.

Eh, those are just buzz words to me honestly

Wants coach who communicates with players.

Not making a prediction of winning the cup in three years.

I really like what I'm hearing.

Did notice that. That was a major difference from Rex and Murray

I believe he said the phrase "not dump & chase"

Honestly, I'll believe it when I see it. Murray preached the same stuff about a puck possession game, then turned around and said he supports Byslma

And not Reinhart...

He didn't say Reinhart but he also didn't specifically say not Reinhart. He's been here for a few hours. Probably should let him meet with players before assuming.

He said the coach will run the locker room not the players. Paraphrased

He didn't say Reinhart but he also didn't specifically say not Reinhart. He's been here for a few hours. Probably should let him meet with players before assuming.

I still find it interesting. 

Seems to really value how strong a coach's relationship is with his players. Might have been a big factor in this hire

Botterill hasn't really focused on the Sabres enough to know more than the fact that Reinhart has been Jack's winger for 2 years. 

When he gets here and does his video research and yaddah yaddah, and when the coach starts running practices, Samson will in fact go to center. 

I'm not really buying this. Reinhart was a #2 overall pick and is very clearly a specific kind of player: a center. I really doubt that he doesn't know what kind of player Reinhart is. And if he does, and doesn't see him as a center, well we have bigger issues, or a trade.

The answer about what he is looking for in a coach

YYYYYEEEEESSSSS!!!!

What? All I really heard was he's very big into a coach that leads, takes charge, and has a solid relationship with his players, if not a great one.

All in all, an impressive hire. But I'll reserve judgement until I see his coach

I'm not really buying this. Reinhart was a #2 overall pick and is very clearly a specific kind of player: a center. I really doubt that he doesn't know what kind of player Reinhart is. And if he does, and doesn't see him as a center, well we have bigger issues, or a trade.

Lighten up, this guy is replacing freaking Murray and Bylsma is gone. Things will be okay!

THIS is going to be an interesting hire.  Do we grab a young analytics based guy?  Do we grab an experienced "hockey man"? Do we try to split the difference? Does he try to bring someone like Bill Guerin with him from Pittsburgh?

I have to imagine that if Guerin was coming here, he would have been at that presser today. Guerin gets to step up and be AGM in Pittsburgh now, I think he's okay with that

We have no idea how he sees Reinhart.

I've been saying for some time he is a Patrick Sharp type.

In all seriousness, not much style, but he seems to have substance.

He will set a direction and will constantly push his people to stay focused on it.

Didn't hear much about his player evaluations (and I don't expect to) but he certainly lit up about Jack and ROR.

We have no idea how he sees Reinhart.

No, we don't. Again, I just found it odd that off the top of his head, our 21 year old ideal center wasn't listed when talking about centers other teams in the league crave. 

I've been saying for some time he is a Patrick Sharp type.

I think Sharp was much faster, no? 

No, we don't. Again, I just found it odd that off the top of his head, our 21 year old ideal center wasn't listed when talking about centers other teams in the league crave.

he didn't mention Kane either, should I read into it? O'Reilly and Eichel are at worlds and maybe Botterill just read about that. Let's just see where it goes is all I'm saying

I think Sharp was much faster, no? 

Hybrid center/wing.  Not a true full time center.  Very much like Sharp's role with Chicago.

What? All I really heard was he's very big into a coach that leads, takes charge, and has a solid relationship with his players, if not a great one.

All in all, an impressive hire. But I'll reserve judgement until I see his coach

Up tempo, puck possession, north/south game

I'll reserve judgement until we see the team take the ice in October. This is all lip service until we have actions backing up the words.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.