Dear NHL, please bring back...

PASabreFan

The bench-clearing celebration. It was the coolest scene. It was hard to define when it could happen. Some dude scores two shorties on one kill, or scores while two men down, you clear the bench! Obviously benchmark goals like number 500 or something. A rookie's first goal? Get out there. Some lug scores for the first time in five years. Go.

I *believe the genesis of the stay on the bench rule was back in the dark days of bench-clearing brawls. Circa early 80s? I recall Rick somewhat grumpily pointing out that the Oilers should be penalized for clearing the bench when Gretzky scored his 77th goal in 82 at the Aud.

The bench-clearing celebration. It was the coolest scene. It was hard to define when it could happen. Some dude scores two shorties on one kill, or scores while two men down, you clear the bench! Obviously benchmark goals like number 500 or something. A rookie's first goal? Get out there. Some lug scores for the first time in five years. Go.

I *believe the genesis of the stay on the bench rule was back in the dark days of bench-clearing brawls. Circa early 80s? I recall Rick somewhat grumpily pointing out that the Oilers should be penalized for clearing the bench when Gretzky scored his 77th goal in 82 at the Aud.

The Eulers had gotten pre-approval from the league to clear the bench for Gretzky's 77th.

The 'no leaving the bench' rule regardless of what was going on on-ice was implemented to 'speed up the game.'

Home whites and away darks I'll go for 100%.

How about letting teams, when they build new rinks....not have to conform to a certain ice size?  I'm not saying to let them go wild, but I liked the baseball-like 'home ice advantage' that Buffalo, Boston, Chicago could have with their smaller rinks....I'm pretty sure Montreal had one of the larger ones too.  Adds a tad bit of strategy to the game.

How about letting teams, when they build new rinks....not have to conform to a certain ice size?  I'm not saying to let them go wild, but I liked the baseball-like 'home ice advantage' that Buffalo, Boston, Chicago could have with their smaller rinks....I'm pretty sure Montreal had one of the larger ones too.  Adds a tad bit of strategy to the game.

Yes please.

Although my memory was that the old Forum in Montreal was one of the small ones too.

Edited by We've

I'm good with this, too.

And the get rid of the trapezoid thing.

Letting goalies handle the puck creates some adventures. Scoring could go up.

Exactly!  Scoring is the reason I want the trapezoid kicked to the curb.  Plus, I don't like watching a goalie standing around waiting on a player(s) get something going.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.