Post your defenceman trade proposals here

dudacek

LW Evander Kane for RHD Ryan Murphy

#8 overall pick in 2017 draft + Rasmus Asplund for LHD Cam Fowler, 3rd round pick in 2017

RHD Rasmus Ristolainen    LHD Cam Fowler

RHD Ryan Murphy               LHD Viktor Antipin

RHD Brendan Guhle              LHD Jake McCabe

nice to dream but realistically I doubt anything big will happen...more likely we move forward with the status quo other then Antinpin taking Fransons spot...we have both Bogo and Gorges under contract and they will play this year, ao there really isn;t room for a blockbuster trade unless we somehow lose both their salaries first which isn;t going to happen. I can see Guhle maybe getting some ice time or maybe Casey nelson though

#8 overall pick in 2017 draft + Rasmus Asplund for LHD Cam Fowler, 3rd round pick in 2017

RHD Rasmus Ristolainen    LHD Cam Fowler

RHD Ryan Murphy               LHD Viktor Antipin

LHD Brendan Guhle              LHD Jake McCabe

fixed

Like said before, we need a RHD if we sign antipin.

Ideally we'd have a balanced D. However, TM doesn't work here anymore and therefore it's probably not a necessity. Thorny also pointed out that Antipin plays either side.

Sabresfan is also right to worry about the cap implications long-term. I toyed with the idea of getting both Scandella and Brodin from Minn as I think we need an entire second pairing, but I discarded the notion because we can't take on 2 additional 4 mill+ contracts beyond next season without other major changes. In addition, If (when?) Antipin plays well, he to could be in line for a Zaitsev $4 mill type extension. There isn't that much cap money to go around.

The best case scenario is that we add one major D, either a 2nd line puck mover or a 2nd McCabe type. If the new GM likes Antipin for that 2nd line puck mover role, then someone like Scandella would be the prime target.

As to Gorges, this is lhis last season at best, but iI hope he get burieds in Roch or bought out.

Bogo is the big problem. If the new GM can find a trade partner we should hold a parade for him. What I hope happens is that the new GM acquires one of the D mentioned prior to expansion and then exposes Bogo to the draft. Maybe with the right additional incentive LV takes him off our hands. Even without the other deal, we could protect Falk and expose Bogo.

Edited by GASabresFan

Seems to be that Antipin plays on his off-side.

Also seems to me that he and Guhle are here to replace and upgrade Franson and Fedun in terms of roster spot and role.

Be nice if they can do more, but that is the most realistic projection,

The other UFA that needs to be replaced and upgraded is Kulikov.

Given how ineffective he was last year, it will be easy to upgrade performance.

It will be harder to get someone to fill the role he was brought in to fill, replacing Gorges as the tough-minute top-four guy.

I'd like a Scandella or a Manson or a Tanev or a Murray.

I think we are stuck with Bogo and Gorges and hoping the latter is adequate playing 17 minutes a night killing penalties and playing the third pair while, the former rebounds to an OK 2nd pairing player.

If Guhle or Antipin can push them further down, so much the better.

But we can't count on it.

Edited by dudacek

Seems to be that Antipin plays on his off-side.

Also seems to me that he and Guhle are here to replace and upgrade Franson and Fedun in terms of roster spot and role.

Be nice if they can do more, but that is the most realistic projection,

The other UFA that needs to be replaced and upgraded is Kulikov.

Given how ineffective he was last year, it will be easy to upgrade performance.

It will be harder to get someone to fill the role he was brought in to fill, replacing Gorges as the tough-minute top-four guy.

I'd like a Scandella or a Manson or a Tanev or a Murray.

I think we are stuck with Bogo and Gorges and hoping the latter is adequate playing 17 minutes a night killing penalties and playing the third pair while, the former rebounds to an OK 2nd pairing player.

If Guhle or Antipin can push them further down, so much the better.

But we can't count on it.

I somewhat disagree. Antipin and Guhle have the skill set to replace Kulikov and Franson. We can always re-sign Fedun for 600K to reprise his 8th D role. My fear is that Guhle won't be ready for full-time NHL duty and will start the year in the A. However, i think this risk can be minimized if he starts off on the 3rd pairing playing limited minutes and then signing a legit mobile FA vet for insurance, like Kyle Quincey.

I'd give Quincey a 2 year 3.5 mill deal (1.75 per season) to replace Gorges and then bury Gorges in the A. Quincey has size, moves very well and can play up for short periods.  One note on buying out Gorges.  He'd cost us only 1.3 per year for the next 2 seasons.  We'd save 2.6 this season which would more then pay for Quincey and Falk.  In addition, we get a rebate of $540K for Coho in 2018-19, which means Gorges buyout that season nets out to $750K.

I envision

McCabe Risto

Scandella Antipin

Guhle Bogo

Falk Quincey

Edited by GASabresFan

RHD Rasmus Ristolainen LHD Cam Fowler

RHD Ryan Murphy LHD Viktor Antipin

RHD Brendan Guhle LHD Jake McCabe

Looks very solid. Personally, the only defensemen I want to keep are obviously Risto and McCabe. Maybe, maybe Bogo. So yeah I like this lineup for sure. Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

I somewhat disagree. Antipin and Guhle have the skill set to replace Kulikov and Franson. We can always re-sign Fedun for 600K to reprise his 8th D role. My fear is that Guhle won't be ready for full-time NHL duty and will start the year in the A.

I think we are mostly on the same page in regards to Antipin and Guhle. I think Antipin slides nicely into Franson's slot and immediately upgrades it because of his feet. Guhle is the long-term replacement for Kulikov, but it's just not likely he can play against the Marners, Marchands and Kucherovs of the division on a regular basis yet. If he does, bonus.

I think we are mostly on the same page in regards to Antipin and Guhle. I think Antipin slides nicely into Franson's slot and immediately upgrades it because of his feet. Guhle is the long-term replacement for Kulikov, but it's just not likely he can play against the Marners, Marchands and Kucherovs of the division on a regular basis yet. If he does, bonus.

That is where Quincey comes in.  I love the idea of him being the utility D, filling in where needed and taking a regular shift when longer injuries occur.  

fixed

Like said before, we need a RHD if we sign antipin.

I thought Guhle was interchangeable but it's Antipin, he can play either side and has... I just got the player wrong so:

Line 1 RHD Rasmus Ristolainen    LHD Cam Fowler

Line 2 RHD Viktor Antipin               LHD Jake McCabe

Line 3 RHD Ryan Murphy              LHD Brendan Guhle

Isn't it wonderful?

. Tell Ink to common in"the water is fine"

Baily + 3rd to Carolina for Fleury or Bean

Fasching to NYI for Pulock

Kane for Scandella 

Reinhart for Hanifin

Just throwing things out there

Id take Pulock big boy, good skater and nice heavy shot.. saw him in the AHL with the SoundTigers, he was a man against boys.

. Tell Ink to common in"the water is fine"

Id take Pulock big boy, good skater and nice heavy shot.. saw him in the AHL with the SoundTigers, he was a man against boys.

I have no idea why he's still playing down there, but they'll have to expose either him or De Haan or both, and I think they'd choose to expose him. I'd take a flier because I think he's ready and can be a nice player. Perhaps the Leddy situation we've been looking for (of course, he's less proven than Leddy was)

I have no idea why he's still playing down there, but they'll have to expose either him or De Haan or both, and I think they'd choose to expose him. I'd take a flier because I think he's ready and can be a nice player. Perhaps the Leddy situation we've been looking for (of course, he's less proven than Leddy was)

Not as bad as Minn, but the NYI are going to have to expose Hickey, DeHaan and Poluck on D. You are right that there is an opportunity here. Any of the 3 would be good additions and I think the cost of any of them would be reasonsble. You asked why Poluck was still in the A. I wonder if they were trying to make a more to trade Hamonic out West and it never worked out, therefore leaving Poluck in the A.

Regardless, I think if he is available LV takes him.

Could we steal DeHaan for one of your RW prospects and a 3rd ?

Rasmus Asplund for Ryan Murray.

I find your continued support for Ryan "glass jaw" Murray to be disturbing.

Easy pass for Anaheim.

Sabres get best players, Ducks get biggest contract and the picks are irrelevant in this draft. Bailey doesn't make up the difference.

First one could work if the Wild are willing to take on Kane. Not sure they'd do that.

Second has zero chance! Young cost controlled defense for spare parts. Nope, never gonna get it done!

Vatanen has had a down year production-wise, and has clashed with Carlyle to the tune of being a healthy scratch. They're also in rough shape as far as the cap and expansion goes. They have to protect Bieksa, and will naturally also protect Fowler and Lindolm. They have to protect Vatanen and Manson, or risk losing one. On the forward front, they're locked into protecting Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler, and Vermette. So even if they go the 8 skater route, that still leaves one of their coveted Dmen exposed, along with the likes of Silfverberg and Rakell. No way do they lose any of those guys for nothing. They'll be moving a Dman.

Edit: Oh, and #8 overall is not a spare part. Just sayin'.

Edit 2: Apparently Vermette's NMC becomes a modified NTC before the expansion draft. I fail at reading. Still, it doesn't much change the bind that team is in for expansion.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Not as bad as Minn, but the NYI are going to have to expose Hickey, DeHaan and Poluck on D. You are right that there is an opportunity here. Any of the 3 would be good additions and I think the cost of any of them would be reasonsble. You asked why Poluck was still in the A. I wonder if they were trying to make a more to trade Hamonic out West and it never worked out, therefore leaving Poluck in the A.

Regardless, I think if he is available LV takes him.

Could we steal DeHaan for one of your RW prospects and a 3rd ?

Last year guys, sorry and he has been up and down this year.

I find your continued support for Ryan "glass jaw" Murray to be disturbing.

Vatanen has had a down year production-wise, and has clashed with Carlyle to the tune of being a healthy scratch. They're also in rough shape as far as the cap and expansion goes. They have to protect Bieksa, and will naturally also protect Fowler and Lindolm. They have to protect Vatanen and Manson, or risk losing one. On the forward front, they're locked into protecting Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler, and Vermette. So even if they go the 8 skater route, that still leaves one of their coveted Dmen exposed, along with the likes of Silfverberg and Rakell. No way do they lose any of those guys for nothing. They'll be moving a Dman.

Edit: Oh, and #8 overall is not a spare part. Just sayin'.

Edit 2: Apparently Vermette's NMC becomes a modified NTC before the expansion draft. I fail at reading. Still, it doesn't much change the bind that team is in for expansion.

This is why Kane makes so much sense for Vatanen.  They need to move on from one or two of their D to save cap and make room for Theodore, Montour and/or Larsson.   However they really only have 6 forwards to protect (Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler, Rakell, Silfverberg, and Vermette).  Giving them Kane gives them more O, which they need and a 7th forward to protect.  Trading us Vatanen (and maybe Stoner as well) clears cap and opens roster spots and allows them to move down to only protecting 3 D.  We might have to eat $ from Kane deal to make it work, but it could be a very interesting deal. 

Here's the thing with the Wild and the Islanders.

Say you trade Brodin (or Pulock). You still have Scandella (deHaan, Hickey) exposed.

If you one trade one guy and the other gets picked, you're down 1/3 of your defence.

Would you be better off just letting Vegas take one, or offering them a pick to take someone else?

Say you trade Brodin (or Pulock). You still have Scandella (deHaan, Hickey) exposed.

If you one trade one guy and the other gets picked, you're down 1/3 of your defence.

Would you be better off just letting Vegas take one, or offering them a pick to take someone else?

Yes and no.  

Ana and Minn might actually not be to unhappy to lose two.  Ana can replace with younger and cheaper Larsson, Theodore and/or Montour.  Minn has Reilly and Olofsson to step in if they lose two and they could really use the cap savings.  Minn likely won't lose two.  They have Eric Staal to expose, and exempt excellent prospect Eriksson-Ek to step in and replace him.

The NYI would probably hate to lose two, but again they have Pulock and Pelach ready to jump into the lineup full-time.  Also depending on who they protect upfront, Cizikas or Prince,  I can see LV grabbing one of them instead.

The logic I've been working under is a subsequent move is made to allow the team to protect the players it wants. That may be a deal with Vegas, but it need not be. Taking Anaheim, for example, if they found a way to dump Bieksa, they could then go 7-3-1 and protect Lindolm, Fowler, and Manson on the back end, with Perry, Getzlaf, Kesler, Rakell, and Silfverberg up front. 

Minnesota is a bit trickier as they don't have an obvious contract to dump, but I could envision a scenario where in a deal for a Dman they acquire an NHL-ready forward who doesn't have to be protected. Then they just go 4-4-1 and if they lose one of their forwards, they have someone ready to step right in as a cheap replacement.

I somewhat disagree. Antipin and Guhle have the skill set to replace Kulikov and Franson. We can always re-sign Fedun for 600K to reprise his 8th D role. My fear is that Guhle won't be ready for full-time NHL duty and will start the year in the A. However, i think this risk can be minimized if he starts off on the 3rd pairing playing limited minutes and then signing a legit mobile FA vet for insurance, like Kyle Quincey.

I'd give Quincey a 2 year 3.5 mill deal (1.75 per season) to replace Gorges and then bury Gorges in the A. Quincey has size, moves very well and can play up for short periods.  One note on buying out Gorges.  He'd cost us only 1.3 per year for the next 2 seasons.  We'd save 2.6 this season which would more then pay for Quincey and Falk.  In addition, we get a rebate of $540K for Coho in 2018-19, which means Gorges buyout that season nets out to $750K.

I envision

McCabe Risto

Scandella Antipin

Guhle Bogo

Falk Quincey

Your views on upgrading the D for next season continue to be both very sensical and realistically achievable. We can potentially hope for better than Scandella, but even someone like him would provide a necessary and reasonable upgrade.

We aren't getting Cam ###### Fowler. I'm not sure if everyone is dreaming, ignoring facts or just living in a fantasy world.

Troof.

I don't think we are getting Fowler, but if he is asking $7 million per, the Ducks are shopping him.

Guys get traded for contract reasons all the time.

Sure I'd rather trade Vatanen, but return matters and Fowler should return more.

And one of them will be traded. They cannot afford both and they aren't trading Hampus.

Look at it this way:

Would you rather have (for example) Fowler and Palat (the return for Vatanen) or Vatanen, Drouin, a conditional pick, and the rights to Tyler Johnson (the return for Fowler)

Eye of the beholder for sure, but the Ducks need to replace their aging stars.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.