The Russ Brandon - Buffalo Sabres Thread

LGR4GM

Maybe RB wasn't talking hockey or even really not give two squirts about how Jack came across. Maybe he just saw the WC cameras and wanted some face time for himself in the show. "Hey, look at me!"

(This is way more fun than talking about the actual hockey being played right now.)

This is actually the most plausible non-hockey scenario I've seen.  You're going to pull me back into Brandon's corner!

Maybe he was trying to sell him a watch?

Ya know .... 'pppsssstttt ... you wanna buy a watch?'

I can't believe you are insinuating, without evidence, that Jack has been late to practices.

This is actually the most plausible non-hockey scenario I've seen.  You're going to pull me back into Brandon's corner!

Except nowhere has it been reported, as far as I've seen, that it was being filmed. Vogl plays things pretty straight, and I don't think Harrington would leave out such a key fact. In fact, Harrington called it a "private chat."

He’s allowed to talk to him about hockey. It’d weird if he wasn’t allowed. It’d be unimaginable if he wasn’t allowed. Like sitcom unimaginable.

This isn’t “control of hockey ops”. By, like, miles and miles.

He’s allowed to talk to him about hockey. It’d weird if he wasn’t allowed. It’d be unimaginable if he wasn’t allowed. Like sitcom unimaginable.

This isn’t “control of hockey ops”. By, like, miles and miles.

Can we please stop talking about what he is "allowed" to do, as if that's relevant?

I'm allowed to piss on my kitchen floor.  It doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

Maybe RB wasn't talking hockey or even really not give two squirts about how Jack came across. Maybe he just saw the WC cameras and wanted some face time for himself in the show. "Hey, look at me!"

(This is way more fun than talking about the actual hockey being played right now.)

That's my hope & theory until proven otherwise. ;)

Any other reason for that conversation at that time & location is troublesome at the least.

Can we please stop talking about what he is "allowed" to do, as if that's relevant?

I'm allowed to piss on my kitchen floor. It doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

Nor does it mean it’s a bad idea. Let’s also stop assuming something nefarious or damaging was taking place. I believe that’s the line of thought I raised my hand against.

How about this, forgetting “allowed”. I’d expect my President to talk to anyone in the organization about anything, including hockey, wherever they meet one another. Anything else would be weird. This doesn’t mean he controls hockey operations. Worrying when he “appears” is weird.

There, no “allowed”,

Edited by Neo

Nor does it mean it’s a bad idea. Let’s also stop assuming something nefarious or damaging was taking place. I believe that’s the line of thought I raised my hand against.

How about this, forgetting “allowed”. I’d expect my President to talk to anyone in the organization about anything, including hockey, wherever they meet one another. Anything else would be weird. This doesn’t mean he controls hockey operations. Worrying when he “appears” is weird.

There, no “allowed”,

But this isn't the team president passing Eichel in the parking lot. This is the team president being identified in the dressing room (for the 1st time this season that someone from the media mentioned it, it might not have been the 1st time but is the 1st mention) following a horrid, record setting loss.

Coming down to say 'hi' after a record setting win is one thing. It isn't a good look after a loss when there is already a distrust from the fanbase that the unqualified to make hockey decisions team president injects himself into hockey matters.

Larry Quinn stating at the press conference "we WILL match ALL offers for Thomas Vanek" tied Regier's hands. Let Brandon stick to the non-hockey related departments. If HE's making hockey decisions, or significantly influencing them, we are screwed.

And him popping up inadvertently raises questions such as: did Botterill have Housley on a short list of guys he was ok with but not necessarily THE guy but he made the offer to him to appease Brandon who saw the former Sabre w/ huge USA Hockey ties as furthering business goals at the expense of the on ice product?

And, again, my guess is this is probably about face time on the WC run up show rather than something more troublesome.

Edited by Taro T

There, no “allowed”,

That's really the sad thing - that this overrated self-promoting schmuck,  who has been involved in far too many important operational and player and coaching decisions over the past decade plus with the Bills (and boy does it show!) was given absolute power by Pegula over the Sabres,  to come into the locker room and verbally coach players and involve himself in the on-ice product.

Ultimately, this is all Pegula's fault, not Brandon's.  Still doesn't mean that WE, as fans, shouldn't be rightfully concerned and critical when this guy starts whispering in Eichel's ear.  

How unfortunate is it that all the extra Winter Classic documentary attention had to come in this train wreck of a season...

It's be so terrible if the NHL took that "home" game away from the Sabres.

Jack, everyone but you is for sale.

Could it have been RB's job to convey that message to Eichel? Better that message come from the business man, as a business decision, rather than from JBot or Howie (certainly not Howie, he has more important/immediate issues to deal with)…… Jack, it's just part of the business of running a hockey team.

Jack, I'm going to Boston in a few weeks. Got any recommendations on the best Chowda in the city?

attachicon.gif6620311225_b1f489ac62_b.jpg

The music from 1976 through 1986 was just way cooler.

There's some cognitive bias going on here, that song is fine and all but does nothing for me. It's not even the best song named "I'm the Man". :)

(NSFW, BTW)

Edited by MattPie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.