2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

My 2 cents on Nylander:

- I do not expect him to play much in the NHL this year.  He's only one year removed from his draft year, he did nada in Rochester last year, and he wasn't drafted by the JBott/Howie regime, so they are not invested in him.  I suppose it's possible that he could have a tremendous preseason and force his way onto the roster, but we have no reason to expect this to occur.

- If he somehow does make the roster, I could see him on the 3rd line if the Sabres go with 3 scoring lines as they did in the Roy-Max-Vanek days.  So if their 3rd line includes, say, Reino and Kane, I could see Nylander as the RW on that line.

Wow if that's the 3rd line, it better be a scoring line because there is not a 200 foot defender in the bunch.

Without seeing how the players fit into the new system, and who become Housley's favorites, predicting the roster (and line combos) is a crap shoot.

(This should be fun to watch.)

Actually I agree with this in total. There's as good a chance that Housley totally blows up all 3-4 lines as compared to what DB threw out there and you almost never knew from game to game what he was going to do.

Wow if that's the 3rd line, it better be a scoring line because there is not a 200 foot defender in the bunch.

Actually I agree with this in total. There's as good a chance that Housley totally blows up all 3-4 lines as compared to what DB threw out there and you almost never knew from game to game what he was going to do.

Reinhart definitely projects to be a 200 foot player, regardless of what he's achieved thus far in his short NHL career. He was played as such in his Gold Medal winning WJC, against his peers, for example. He'll get there at the NHL level I think.

And no, I'm not saying he's there yet.

My fantasyland roster:

* Jack Eichel blows up as an undisputed elite NHL star: 30-40 goals, 50 assists and makes the players around him better.

* Alex Nylander is the primary beneficiary, popping 20 goals as a rookie on the first unit PP and sheltered even-strength minutes.

* Hudson Fasching slips into the Foligno role, putting up similar numbers working the boards for Jack and Alex at ES.

* Samson Reinhart is a revelation at centre, anchoring the second unit PP and our top even-strength possession line

* He's flanked by Okposo and Kane who have typical Okposo and Kane seasons.

* O'Reilly, Pominville and Pouliot form a very dependable two-way line that matches up against other team's top lines.

* Girgensons, Larsson, Bailey, Baptiste and Josefsson supply the type of depth we haven't seen in years, capably filling in the top nine when needed with speed and relentlessness and dominating as fourth liners.

* Ristolainen and McCabe each take another step, Scandella and Beaulieu look like the players we hoped we traded for and Antipin is a revelation.

* Bogosian puts up 20 points, gets hurt and makes his share of mistakes, but charges all over the ice like a bull in a China shop and is generally the most entertaining Sabre to watch (well, after Jack of course)

* Lehner posts similar numbers under the Housley system and entrenches himself as a legit #1.

I love summer. And beer.

When I sober up, I'll give you my Because Buffalo roster.

I think it has to go like this on defense:

The two new guys from trade have to be given their minutes because they are here for awhile. Have to try and make them fit in. Antipin is a one year player and then who knows? Guhle could screw this up if he is just too good to not have in the line up

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu- McAbe

Bogo--Antipin

I think it has to go like this on defense:

The two new guys from trade have to be given their minutes because they are here for awhile. Have to try and make them fit in. Antipin is a one year player and then who knows? Guhle could screw this up if he is just too good to not have in the line up

Scandella-Risto

Beaulieu- McAbe

Bogo--Antipin

Except, we aren't going to play half the defense on the wrong side.

Scan - Risto

McCabe - Bogo

Baloo - Antipin

My fantasyland roster:

* Jack Eichel blows up as an undisputed elite NHL star: 30-40 goals, 50 assists and makes the players around him better.

* Alex Nylander is the primary beneficiary, popping 20 goals as a rookie on the first unit PP and sheltered even-strength minutes.

* Hudson Fasching slips into the Foligno role, putting up similar numbers working the boards for Jack and Alex at ES.

* Samson Reinhart is a revelation at centre, anchoring the second unit PP and our top even-strength possession line

* O'Reilly, Pominville and Pouliot form a very dependable two-way line that matches up against other team's top lines.

* Girgensons, Larsson, Bailey, Baptiste and Josefsson supply the type of depth we haven't seen in years, capably filling in the top nine when needed with speed and relentlessness and dominating as fourth liners.

* Ristolainen and McCabe each take another step, Scandella and Beaulieu look like the players we hoped we traded for and Antipin is a revelation.

* Bogosian puts up 20 points, gets hurt and makes his share of mistakes, but charges all over the ice like a bull in a China shop and is generally the most entertaining Sabre to watch (well, after Jack of course)

* Lehner posts similar numbers under the Housley system and entrenches himself as a legit #1.

I love summer. And beer.

76ng9.jpg

My fantasyland roster:

I love summer. And beer.

I've seen the future and it..... it's BEAUTFUL!!!

696621b1e49880363cb34007967c3b08.gif

Edited by Doohickie

* Jack Eichel starts off slow and the pundits point to the burden of his $10 million contract and the C at age 20 as a major reason why. His epic meltdown responding to Paul Hamilton after a 6-2 December loss at home to Florida breaks the internet.

* A rotating band including Griffin, Rodrigues, CJ Smith and Josefsen audition on Jack's RW, none for more than three games at a time as Housley searches for chemistry. Finally, Brian Gionta is coaxed out of retirement after Christmas to do the job.

*Matt Moulson however is stapled to Jack's left side. Housley preaches patience for the veteran despite numbers even lower than 15-16. Nylander fails to make the team out of camp and returns to Sweden, pouting.

* Ryan O'Reilly skates 26 minutes a night, most of them with the ghost of Jason Pominville attached to his right hip and the corpse of Benoit Pouliot tied to his left.

* After failing on Jack's right side, Rodrigues is annointed by Housley as the team's third-line centre. A disgruntled Larsson plays on his left side. A very quiet Sam Reinhart plays on his right as Housley tries to mould Sam's defensive game and demands more hitting.

* Kyle Okposo is declared physically unable to perform due to complications from his stint in the ICU.

* Evander Kane feuds with Housley, gets punched by Lehner in a locker room dust-up and is demoted to the fourth line. He eventually is traded to the Bruins for a second-rounder and Matt Belesky after he, Scandella and Beaulieu are caught in Montreal with hookers and blow.

* Baptiste, Bailey and Fasching fail to make the team. Josefson and Deslauriers are the main fourth liners with placid Girgensons functioning as the 13 forward.

* Risto gets injured and McCabe self-destructs from trying to do to much in Housley's attacking system. Antipin returns to Russia after Matt Tennyson beats him out for the seventh defenceman slot in camp. Josh Gorges plays on the first pair with Risto to start the season and with Jake in that role after 55 goes down.

* Bogo looks every inch a top-three draft pick until separating his shoulder in the 12th game. His return ends after three games with a torn meniscus before a rare viral infection ends his season for good.

* Robin Lehner is everything D4rk suspected.

I like team Sunshine and Kittens much better, don't you?

Edited by dudacek

* Jack Eichel starts off slow and the pundits point to the burden of his $10 million contract and the C at age 20 as a major reason why. His epic meltdown responding to Paul Hamilton after a 6-2 December loss at home to Florida breaks the internet.

* A rotating band including Griffin, Rodrigues, CJ Smith and Josefsen audition on Jack's RW, none for more than three games at a time as Housley searches for chemistry. Finally, Brian Gionta is coaxed out of retirement after Christmas to do the job.

*Matt Moulson however is stapled to Jack's left side. Housley preaches patience for the veteran despite numbers even lower than 15-16. Nylander fails to make the team out of camp and returns to Sweden, pouting.

* Ryan O'Reilly skates 26 minutes a night, most of them with the ghost of Jason Pominville attached to his right hip and the corpse of Benoit Pouliot tied to his left.

* After failing on Jack's right side, Rodrigues is annointed by Housley as the team's third-line centre. A disgruntled Larsson plays on his left side. A very quiet Sam Reinhart plays on his right as Housley tries to mould Sam's defensive game and demands more hitting.

* Kyle Okposo is declared physically unable to perform due to complications from his stint in the ICU.

* Evander Kane feuds with Housley, gets punched by Lehner in a locker room dust-up and is demoted to the fourth line. He eventually is traded to the Bruins for a second-rounder and Matt Belesky after he, Scandella and Beaulieu are caught in Montreal with hookers and blow.

* Baptiste, Bailey and Fasching fail to make the team. Josefson and Deslauriers are the main fourth liners with placid Girgensons functioning as the 13 forward.

* Risto gets injured and McCabe self-destructs from trying to do to much in Housley's attacking system. Antipin returns to Russia after Matt Tennyson beats him out for the seventh defenceman slot in camp. Josh Gorges plays on the first pair with Risto to start the season and with Jake in that role after 55 goes down.

* Bogo looks every inch a top-three draft pick until separating his shoulder in the 12th game. His return ends after three games with a torn meniscus before a rare viral infection ends his season for good.

Half of those seem very plausible haha

Looking at them both, I predict we're 0.6(sober duda) and 0.4(drunk duda) this season. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Half of those seem very plausible haha

Looking at them both, I predict we're 0.6(sober duda) and 0.4(drunk duda) this season.

If we are .6 Sober, we'll be at the bottom of the standings again.

Edit: if not, somehow, even worse than that.

Eichel won't have an epic meltdown

Brian Gionta won't be back

Moulson won't be with Eichel

Kane won't fight with Housley

Baptiste, Bailey, and Fasching won't all fail to make it

And I don't think every one of our Dmen and our goalie will shrivel and burn

*The ROR one is the one I can see as likely.

--

It appreciate that a lot of that was tongue in cheek from dudacek, and maybe you weren't being serious either, but I can't see us achieving 60% of all that carnage.

Edited by Thorny

If we are .6 Sober, we'll be at the bottom of the standings again.

Edit: if not, somehow, even worse than that.

Eichel won't have an epic meltdown

Brian Gionta won't be back

Moulson won't be with Eichel

Kane won't fight with Housley

Baptiste, Bailey, and Fasching won't all fail to make it

And I don't think every one of our Dmen and our goalie will shrivel and burn

*The ROR one is the one I can see as likely.

--

It appreciate that a lot of that was tongue in cheek from dudacek, and maybe you weren't being serious either, but I can't see us achieving 60% of all that carnage.

80% of the bad things happened to some degree last year, so it wouldn't be surprising to me for a slight improvement on the situation as opposed to everything being magically better because offseason :P 

fantastic, all very very plausible IMO

Outstanding.

80% of the bad things happened to some degree last year, so it wouldn't be surprising to me for a slight improvement on the situation as opposed to everything being magically better because offseason :P

But if "some degree" means roughly 50%, half of 80% doesn't get you .6 ;)

I'll reverse it to .6 drunk and .4 sober and make myself happy :lol:

Posted the line-up I'd like to see in another thread (including Reinhart at C), final guess at what the line-up WILL look like to start:

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Girgensons - Eichel - Reinhart

Pouliot - Larsson - Pominville

Baptiste - Josefsson - Bailey

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Beaulieu - Antipin

Moulson, Deslauriers, Gorges

(Hoping Baptiste and Bailey beat out Moulson and D-Lo for spots)

Posted the line-up I'd like to see in another thread (including Reinhart at C), final guess at what the line-up WILL look like to start:

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Girgensons - Eichel - Reinhart

Pouliot - Larsson - Pominville

Baptiste - Josefsson - Bailey

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Beaulieu - Antipin

Moulson, Deslauriers, Gorges

(Hoping Baptiste and Bailey beat out Moulson and D-Lo for spots)

what are the expectations of this roster? I see them fighting for a wildcard spot at best. My best guess is that they finish 4-5 points out of the playoffs this season.

However, the addition of Mittelstadt, Nylander, Guhle and Asplund put them firmly into playoff / cup contender in 2018-19

what are the expectations of this roster? I see them fighting for a wildcard spot at best. My best guess is that they finish 4-5 points out of the playoffs this season.

However, the addition of Mittelstadt, Nylander, Guhle and Asplund put them firmly into playoff / cup contender in 2018-19

Playoffs or bust.