2017-18 lineup prediction (the Original Lineup Thread)

GASabresIUFAN

That's nice and all, but this box jumping thing is the stupidest thing since the stupid 'man bun' thing.

I can't wait until someones cracks their skull wide open, so long is it isn't a Sabre.

It is designed for explosiveness. I don't do it though because it hurt my knees. 

It is designed for explosiveness. I don't do it though because it hurt my knees. 

Yes that is correct, wasn't it Jakob Chychrun who did a similar video of this last year around the draft??

JJ Watt used this technique all the time also, he would jump higher than his actual height too. It was pretty impressive for a guy his size. 

Just rewatched the Dec.13 game against LA where Sabres won 6-3.  Interesting line combos that night. Okposo on RW with Eichel and Reinhart on RW with ROR.  I like this combo the best. I just like Okposo's tenacity and offensive puck possession.

Kane- Eichel- Okposo

Girgensons- ROR- Reinhart

Pouliot- Larsson- Pomms

Moulson- Josefson- Bailey

Scandella- Risto

McCabe- Bogo

Beaulieu- Antipin

I think he'll be playing a regular shift too.  Maybe even 2nd pairing.  I hope I'm wrong.

2nd pairing? Do you think he's a dark horse to beat out Scandella or McCabe? I guess it's possible but I hope you're wrong too.

I think he's bottom pairing at best and hopefully either an injury replacement as the 7th D or leading the charge in Rochester.

Edited by Drunkard

I think it will depend on Housley's system.  At the beginning of the season I can see a scenario where Gorges is better suited to the new system than he was to DDB's and/or Gorges picks it up quicker than the younger Dmen.  Housley may appreciate the experience and smarts of Gorges over the youthful energy of the younger guys.

We'll see.

I think it will depend on Housley's system.  At the beginning of the season I can see a scenario where Gorges is better suited to the new system than he was to DDB's and/or Gorges picks it up quicker than the younger Dmen.  Housley may appreciate the experience and smarts of Gorges over the youthful energy of the younger guys.

We'll see.

I don't think Gorges can skate enough for Housley. Or plays aggressive enough. I can easily see Bogosian ending up the 6th, and Antipin taking his spot on the 2nd pair. Or Bealueiaiaueuaieu

Those scenarios are more likely, yeah.  I'm just saying that until Housley introduces his system, it's hard to know who will get which position.  We're all down on Gorges, but we haven't seen him play with the Sabres under a "real" coach.  A system that uses support from the forwards to clear the zone and move up ice may fit with Gorges much better than DD's system where he was often left hanging out to dry.

Edited by Doohickie

Very likely top-4 to start the season:

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

--

Beaulieu and Antipin are probably eased in on the 3rd pair, and are the projected starters there, but Gorges definitely has a chance to find his way onto the third pair. I don't have any confidence in Gorges ability to play, nevermind on his off-hand, so he'd have to unseat Beaulieu. They are very stylistically different, so could come down to matchups.

I'd rather Beaulieu start over Gorges indefinitely, so I hope that's what happens.

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

--

Beaulieu and Antipin are probably eased in on the 3rd pair, and are the projected starters there, but Gorges definitely has a chance to find his way onto the third pair. I don't have any confidence in Gorges ability to play, nevermind on his off-hand, so he'd have to unseat Beaulieu. They are very stylistically different, so could come down to matchups.

I'd rather Beaulieu start over Gorges indefinitely, so I hope that's what happens.

That's pretty much my expectation as well. At least until Bogosian breaks & Gorges insertion moves somebody to their off hand.

That's pretty much my expectation as well. At least until Bogosian breaks & Gorges insertion moves somebody to their off hand.

Hopefully Bogosian's inevitable breaking takes place far enough into the season that Antipin has proven himself a worthy commodity, and he can step into that second pairing right-side role. Then a capable journeyman like Fedun can step in and play 3rd pair. We have a bit more depth this year on the backend, so maybe we can keep Gorges out of the lineup on a regular basis:

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Antipin

Beaulieu - Fedun

Hopefully Bogosian's inevitable breaking takes place far enough into the season that Antipin has proven himself a worthy commodity, and he can step into that second pairing right-side role. Then a capable journeyman like Fedun can step in and play 3rd pair. We have a bit more depth this year on the backend, so maybe we can keep Gorges out of the lineup on a regular basis:

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Antipin

Beaulieu - Fedun

That would work.

Errbody has Gorges out of the top 6. Hope yall are right, I have my doubts.

Me too.

I think he'll be playing a regular shift too.  Maybe even 2nd pairing.  I hope I'm wrong.

This as well. 

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

--

Good breakdown.  It does seem like B-loo, Antipin and Gorges will be fighting it out for the last 2 spots. 

I'm hoping by midseason, Risto-Scandella has emerged as a capable top pair, getting about 23 min per night, with McCabe-Bogo and B-loo-Antipin sharing the remaining 37 min pretty evenly. 

And JBott might also deliver Butcher, and he might be pounding on the door from Rochester...

• 2 weeks later...

Bogosian can't wait to work with (Housley), “In my short conversations I've had with him, I really like where he's going and where he's coming from.” “Skating is definitely my strong point,” Bogosian said. “Last year and the year before I felt like I was handcuffed back there. I don't think I got a chance to play my game in the way I know I can play.”

http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/bogosian-looking-forward-season

Alright, so I live in the Houston area and have been more involved with watching this Astros this summer than I have been with paying attention to the Sabres. I've seen the additions we've made (Scandella, Pominville, Beaulieu and Antipin) and the (hopefully steal of the draft) Casey Mittlestadt. Obviously Mittlestadt won't be in Buffalo this season, but what is the projected lineup looking like right now? Basically I know about the additions the team has made but I don't know how that affects the lineup.

Alright, so I live in the Houston area and have been more involved with watching this Astros this summer than I have been with paying attention to the Sabres. I've seen the additions we've made (Scandella, Pominville, Beaulieu and Antipin) and the (hopefully steal of the draft) Casey Mittlestadt. Obviously Mittlestadt won't be in Buffalo this season, but what is the projected lineup looking like right now? Basically I know about the additions the team has made but I don't know how that affects the lineup.

Nylander - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Pouliot - Larsson - Pominville

Girgensons - Josefson - Bailey

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Beaulieu - Antipin

Lehner

Johnson

(Moulson, Deslauriers, Gorges)

--

Something like that.

Nylander - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Pouliot - Larsson - Pominville

Girgensons - Josefson - Bailey

Scandella - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Beaulieu - Antipin

Lehner

Johnson

(Moulson, Deslauriers, Gorges)

--

Something like that.

You can't just drop Moulson and Gorges out of the projected lineup just because you want to. We're stuck with them. 

You can't just drop Moulson and Gorges out of the projected lineup just because you want to. We're stuck with them.

Why not? Moulson can ride the pine until someone gets hurt. If Nylander is on the team, and I think he will be, Moulson could very easily be healthy scratched. We don't have to play him "just because", especially if it hurts the team. Free ride over.

Gorges won't be starting. Who's gonna sit? Beaulieu? Antipin? Gorges is definitely the first bench option, here.

Edited by Thorny

And JBott might also deliver Butcher, and he might be pounding on the door from Rochester...

...or not  ;)

Actually I'm okay with that.  Because in the end, it would be another player thinking they deserve to be in the NHL and there weren't enough holes to plug them all into.  It could have turned into a distraction, especially if Butcher beat out Antipin and Antipin went back to the KHL in a huff... or if he delayed Guhle's ascent to the NHL because Guhle got bumped down on the depth chart. 

Besides our projected NHLers, we have a couple journeymen in Falk and Fedun that have shown they can eat up NHL minutes if need be.  I think our D is okay right now.

Edited by Doohickie