• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

One of the interesting things about this board is how the members education and employment influence their view of the team and it's issues. I have a business degree, a law degree and work in finance. I focus on cost, cap, roster makeup etc... We have some here who are clearly educated in the sciences and tech and often focus on system, usage charts etc.... I'm beginning to realize I need to take this into account when reading posts.

That said, thanks for the physics lesson.

Well, I have to admit, I work in the pseudoscience called medicine. I'm a physician-scientist at very large research hospital located in Bethesda, MD . There's no such thing as "theories". At my workplace, it's show me the evidence or we just don't know (which is mostly the case when it comes to the human body). And every time I saw an experiment won't/can't show anything or complication X can't happen in disease Y, it does. Like clockwork.

Edited by kas23

Well, I have to admit, I work in the pseudoscience called medicine. I'm a physician-scientist at the NIH. There's no such thing as "theories". At my workplace, it's show me the evidence or we just don't know (which is mostly the case when it comes to the human body). And every time I saw an experiment won't/can't show anything or complication X can't happen in disease Y, it does. Like clockwork.

A medical analogue to what I'm talking about might be germ theory. 

I'm not comfortable enough with medicine, biology etc. to say much. I get the impression that we don't know very much yet about a lot of things in the field, relative to some others at least. (And nothing relative to all that there is to know in any field, of course)

One of the interesting things about this board is how the members education and employment influence their view of the team and it's issues. I have a business degree, a law degree and work in finance. I focus on cost, cap, roster makeup etc... We have some here who are clearly educated in the sciences and tech and often focus on system, usage charts etc.... I'm beginning to realize I need to take this into account when reading posts.

Interesting.  Business and Engineering here.  In my business classes charts and predicting of behavior/trends were a huge part of the curriculum.

Interesting.  Business and Engineering here.  In my business classes charts and predicting of behavior/trends were a huge part of the curriculum.

It's one of the reasons I like the idea of JB as the new GM. His MBA training and cap knowledge should help us avoid some of the mistakes TM made regarding contracts. I look at past performance in my job all the time. That kind of analysis is one of the reasons I would have never traded for Kane/Bogo or Kulikov. I'd didn't like their career trends then or now. For example, Bogo's only play 60 or so games a season was an established trend before he got here. Kulikov's production had also been on a down trend. I'm not surprised that neither performed to their contracts.

I was also refering to the debate between me and others over TM and his roster vs DD and his system. Many here were rightly focused on DD player usage and his system. I never got that far in my analysis. I could never get over the costly and lousy roster TM put together. I didn't think the team could succeed regardless of coach.

It's one of the reasons I like the idea of JB as the new GM. His MBA training and cap knowledge should help us avoid some of the mistakes TM made regarding contracts. I look at past performance in my job all the time. That kind of analysis is one of the reasons I would have never traded for Kane/Bogo or Kulikov. I'd didn't like their career trends then or now. For example, Bogo's only play 60 or so games a season was an established trend before he got here. Kulikov's production had also been on a down trend. I'm not surprised that neither performed to their contracts.

I was also refering to the debate between me and others over TM and his roster vs DD and his system. Many here were rightly focused on DD player usage and his system. I never got that far in my analysis. I could never get over the costly and lousy roster TM put together. I didn't think the team could succeed regardless of coach.

My point was, use of sophisticated charts and stats and metrics ARE fundamental in business.  Your earlier post suggested otherwise.  Maybe you didn't word it well.

I have the same background and focus on value and production.

A medical analogue to what I'm talking about might be germ theory.

I'm not comfortable enough with medicine, biology etc. to say much. I get the impression that we don't know very much yet about a lot of things in the field, relative to some others at least. (And nothing relative to all that there is to know in any field, of course)

Well, there's Koch's postulates, but over the years they have taken many hits. For example, a pathogen may not cause the same disease in 2 different hosts, or maybe just in 1 host and not the other. The pathogen is still believed to cause disease though. The framework they are built around still a good exercise in scientific thinking.

Doesn't anybody like to watch hockey?

I think if anyone's watching hockey tonight, they are most interested in the Pens/Caps game, but not for its playoff implications.

Alright, this is a great opportunity for Botterill but wouldn't you be a little bummed to eliminate Washington, and only have Ottawa to beat to get into the SC Finals. He is 8 wins away from winning a Cup, and he is going to dismiss himself and go to Buffalo. Could you do it?

On second thought, is there something that says you only have to play in half the games or something like that to be considered on the team. Maybe this series win allows him to be considered part of the crew. Does anyone know the logistics?

Edited by SabresFanInRochester

Alright, this is a great opportunity for Botterill but wouldn't you be a little bummed to eliminate Washington, and only have Ottawa to beat to get into the SC Finals. He is 8 wins away from winning a Cup, and he is going to dismiss himself and go to Buffalo. Could you do it?

On second thought, is there something that says you only have to play in half the games or something like that to be considered on the team. Maybe this series win allows him to be considered part of the crew. Does anyone know the logistics?

He gets a ring and the credit no matter what. He's literally doing nothing for that franchise right now, as far as their playoff run is concerned