Linus Ullmark: Thoughts on his future

LGR4GM

MODO, we want to keep you around. Also we want to keep Ullmark around (at least I do). I do not believe he will be the player we lose in the expansion draft because there will be better options to take from us and better GT options around the league to get. 

Going off of that premise, I think he looks much improved this season. His AHL stats do improve over last year. One thing to remember with goalies coming from Europe is the shooting angles are much different on the smaller ice surface (so I have seen) and it takes awhile to adjust. His play in Rochester (only saw a couple of games, hard to find video sometimes) seemed to me to be much more positionally sound. His puck tracking and rebound control are vastly improved. The one thing I think he might do better than Lehner right now is rebound control (again limited viewings).  I would love if a Roch Cha Cha native could give us some more insight. 

I think making him the backup in Buffalo and giving him 25-30games in 2017/18 is the best way forward. Lehner can get a 3yr deal and we can see what happens over the next 2 years. I am not sold on Robin and I do have a soft spot for Ullmark and have for a bit now. That said he needs to prove himself in the NHL before much longer. He will be 24 this so not old. 

Thoughts on the young man? 

I want him to make the team and be good. I don't see it happening if Lehner is here. 

GMTM said he is "tremendous" at the presser. I'd say we'll be seeing him as Lehner's backup next year and that Lehner is only getting a bridge deal this off-season. Let's not forget that Johansson came to NA after his season ended and is currently in Roch.

Ullmark playing the backup here doesn't do him any good. If Ullmark is on this team next year it's in platoon duty with another FA goalie like Nilsson. 

Interesting thought, but Lehner is actually very tradeable. He's an RFA and on a pretty affordable contract for someone who is an NHL starter. 

I want him to make the team and be good. I don't see it happening if Lehner is here. 

Ullmark playing the backup here doesn't do him any good. If Ullmark is on this team next year it's in platoon duty with another FA goalie like Nilsson. Interesting thought, but Lehner is actually very tradeable. He's an RFA and on a pretty affordable contract for someone who is an NHL starter.

TM spoke of about goalie development when discussing Ullmark. I took him to mean that Ullmark is ready for the next step in development and that is playing full time in the NHL. I do somewhat agree that I'd like to see Ullmark get more the 15-20 games bext season if he is the backup.

Unfortunately Vegas is taking Ullmark unless Tim can make a deal to entice Vegas to take a salary off our hands.

Do almost whatever it takes to get Vegas to select Bogo.  If that can't be swung, then Ennis or Moulson.

I don't see Tim trading Lehner or Ullmark after his glowing comments yesterday about both of them, but I can (hopefully) see him doing whatever it takes to protect both of them from Vegas.

This is a golden opportunity for Tim to unload one of his poor contracts.  I'm watching closely, Tim.  Get me back on the ZFG bandwagon!  If he actually protects Bogo, then I'm lost as even a potential ZFG bandwagon member forever.

We need Ullmark in the pipeline.  Tim's comments regarding Petersen yesterday were not promising regarding our chances of landing him.

I'd rather have Ullmark in Rochester than watching Lehner perform poorly in all the back to backs again next year. If DB is show the door though, my answer may change.

Yup. Either Ullmark is splitting time with another goalie, or he's in Rochester. I don't want him here as a backup. 

So no one else thinks Ullmark is Vegas bound unless some other player is sweetened enough for Vegas to take them instead?

In my view, he is by far our most appealing player that will be exposed in the expansion draft.  Rochester vs. Buffalo for Ullmark is a moot point until after the expansion draft takes place and he's still Sabre property.

So no one else thinks Ullmark is Vegas bound unless some other player is sweetened enough for Vegas to take them instead?

In my view, he is by far our most appealing player that will be exposed in the expansion draft.  Rochester vs. Buffalo for Ullmark is a moot point until after the expansion draft takes place and he's still Sabre property.

Look at it from the LV perspective:  Not who is the Sabres' most appealing player, but who is the best goalie available?  They select 3.  When you look at the projected list (someone posted it somewhere around here), Ullmark doesn't look to be one of those top 3 goalies compared to others available, and there are some excellent young talents.  Linus isn't the only one.

Having said that, I think losing Linus is a possibility, but there are lots of other scenarios as well.

Nope, they can basically sign Bishop for free, grubauer , fleury, Reimer and other better options out there.    LV will pick between larsson, girgenson or carrier, whoever we expose.

The only thing that might happen we trade Bogo, and they ask for Ullmark as compensation, but I really don't see it.

Look at it from the LV perspective:  Not who is the Sabres' most appealing player, but who is the best goalie available?  They select 3.  When you look at the projected list (someone posted it somewhere around here), Ullmark doesn't look to be one of those top 3 goalies compared to others available, and there are some excellent young talents.  Linus isn't the only one.

Having said that, I think losing Linus is a possibility, but there are lots of other scenarios as well.

Bishop, Murray/Fleury,  Bernier, Darling, Raanta, etc..   

Nope, they can basically sign Bishop for free, grubauer , fleury, Reimer and other better options out there. LV will pick between larsson, girgenson or carrier, whoever we expose.

The only thing that might happen we trade Bogo, and they ask for Ullmark as compensation, but I really don't see it.

Yup. I've come around on Ullmark being safe.

They have to take somebody from the Sabres.  Our unprotected list is going to be craptacular compared to many others. It should be a golden opportunity for Murray to unload a bad contract.

It's going to come down to Larsson/Girgensons vs. Ullmark.  Could go either way.  It's also going to depend on what they can get from other teams to determine which choice is better for them.  

Edited by Thwomp!

When I look at who I would take from the Sabres in a vacuum, it would be Ullmark

When I look at who is going to be available around the league, then I don't think he will be.

I still think Ennis is the most likely choice: helps them get to the cap, costs little in real dollars, has upside if he rebounds.

If he scores 20 in their top six, they can flip him at the deadline. If not, he's gone in two years.

Isn't it pretty well the consensus that Okposo, OReilly, Kane, Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, Carrier is the protected list up front?

When I look at who I would take from the Sabres in a vacuum, it would be Ullmark

When I look at who is going to be available around the league, then I don't think he will be.

I still think Ennis is the most likely choice: helps them get to the cap, costs little in real dollars, has upside if he rebounds.

If he scores 20 in their top six, they can flip him at the deadline. If not, he's gone in two years.

Isn't it pretty well the consensus that Okposo, OReilly, Kane, Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, Carrier is the protected list up front?

Yep, and I think we have a better player in Carrier than we realize because of his sheltered usage which will likely increase next season.

I only care about the first three guys on that list anyway. 

If that's our list, the choice really becomes Ennis (maybe Moulson) vs. Ullmark.  Ullmark becomes a more likely choice I'd say.

Expose Bogo and hope Vegas thinks they can turn him around based on his "concept".  I'm hoping if Vegas is choosing Ullmark vs. Ennis vs. Bogo that we can throw a mid round draft pick their way to tip the scales in Bogo's favor.

I really don't want to finally have this team get their heads out of their , possibly with a new coach, and have it all go to waste because Lehner gets hurt and we have to rely on a duo of Ullmark and possibly Peterson........ or worse. 

Before this year, Nilsson took time to get professional help with his technique and approach to the game. It showed in his performances. If Nilsson wants to come back, I'd rather have him than Ullmark. And it's not even close. 

I don't want next year to rely on 'maybes' and risks. Keep what's working now and focus on what's not. Don't fix what's not broken. 

Nope, they can basically sign Bishop for free, grubauer , fleury, Reimer and other better options out there.    LV will pick between larsson, girgenson or carrier, whoever we expose.

Did I see something the Fleury has to be protected, so Murray in Pitt will be exposed?

Did I see something the Fleury has to be protected, so Murray in Pitt will be exposed?

I think Pitt will try to trade Fleury as a salary dump.  If that doesn't work, his buyout doesn't look too bad.  $2 million cap hit for the next 4 years.  Probably preferable to losing Murray, which if he's exposed they definitely will.

If that's our list, the choice really becomes Ennis (maybe Moulson) vs. Ullmark.  Ullmark becomes a more likely choice I'd say.

Expose Bogo and hope Vegas thinks they can turn him around based on his "concept".  I'm hoping if Vegas is choosing Ullmark vs. Ennis vs. Bogo that we can throw a mid round draft pick their way to tip the scales in Bogo's favor.

Not if they've already got three other goalies picked out.

Not if they've already got three other goalies picked out.

True, but there's a weighing factor to take into account.  If Ullmark is the best choice from the Sabres, then maybe one of the other goalies is dropped in favor of a defenseman or forward.

The weighing will be how much of a drop off the other goalie is to Ullmark, and Ullmark has a pretty high ceiling vs. Ennis/Moulson/Bogosian compared to that other team's player.  That other teams player is likely to look pretty darn good compared to those three.

Plus, there will be many goalie games played before the expansion draft so that the list of good options will be reduced such as what Pittsburgh is likely to do with their situation.

Nope, they can basically sign Bishop for free, grubauer , fleury, Reimer and other better options out there. LV will pick between larsson, girgenson or carrier, whoever we expose.

There's no reason to expose any of those three.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.