Linus Ullmark: Thoughts on his future

LGR4GM

They could, in theory, pick more than three goalies and make a few trades afterward. Not that I'd expect McPhee to be that creative.

And goalie games during and after the expansion draft. Thanks. Didn't even take that into account. ????

A couple caveats regarding UFAs (who's contracts technically don't expire until July 1st) and the expansion draft (June 21st).

Any UFAs that Vegas selects do not count toward the 60% salary cap requirement for the expansion draft (players they draft must add up to at minimum 60% of the salary cap).  

That said, during the 3 days preceding the draft, Vegas will have exclusive negotiating rights will ALL unprotected UFAs in the draft pool.   If they reach an agreement with any of them, they'll count as their pick from that team.  

Likely unprotected UFAs on BUFs roster include Kulikov and Franson.... so I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas reaches a deal with Kulikov and he becomes their pick.   

Or, the more likely scenario is Vegas and Kulikov negotiate a deal, but he agrees not sign right away, so that allows Vegas to pick somebody else from BUF, and then officially sign Kulikov come July 1st.    That carries some risk, but essentially allows them draft more than one player from each team.

This also creates the scenario where a team may choose to protect a UFA to prevent Vegas from negotiating with them prior to the draft.   

Edited by pi2000

When thinking about expansion, don't forget they have two teams to stock (AHL and NHL) meaning they are likely to go after 4 goalies or more. Also the cheaper they go in expansion the more money they can throw at free agents. The D and goalie pool will be deep especially while scoring forwards will be at a premium. I can see McPhee trying to get scoring in Free agency rather then expansion.

So where does that leave us? Ullmark is a definite possibility to lose in expansion, but I'm less inclined to think he'll be taken then I was previously. Sportsnet has a recent Mock draft they have LV taking Raanta, Grubauer and Korpisalo. All three are better choices for LV then Ullmark, but he could still be the 4th goalie taken. However if I take Korpisalo, I want him to be the starter in the AHL. Plenty of AHL backups available.

When thinking about expansion, don't forget they have two teams to stock (AHL and NHL) meaning they are likely to go after 4 goalies or more. Also the cheaper they go in expansion the more money they can throw at free agents. The D and goalie pool will be deep especially while scoring forwards will be at a premium. I can see McPhee trying to get scoring in Free agency rather then expansion.

So where does that leave us? Ullmark is a definite possibility to lose in expansion, but I'm less inclined to think he'll be taken then I was previously. Sportsnet has a recent Mock draft they have LV taking Raanta, Grubauer and Korpisalo. All three are better choices for LV then Ullmark, but he could still be the 4th goalie taken. However if I take Korpisalo, I want him to be the starter in the AHL. Plenty of AHL backups available.

I don't disagree, but it's not like there aren't UFA goalies milling around in the parking lot of NHL headquarters that LV can sign on July 1st to fill out the last spot or two. I think they have to pick three, I'd be surprised if they pick more unless there are a pile of sure NHL-ready prospects exposed (Ullmark may well be one of those). Like you say, they're going to need NHL skaters before they worry about AHL backup GT.

When I look at who I would take from the Sabres in a vacuum, it would be Ullmark

When I look at who is going to be available around the league, then I don't think he will be.

I still think Ennis is the most likely choice: helps them get to the cap, costs little in real dollars, has upside if he rebounds.

If he scores 20 in their top six, they can flip him at the deadline. If not, he's gone in two years.

Isn't it pretty well the consensus that Okposo, OReilly, Kane, Foligno, Girgensons, Larsson, Carrier is the protected list up front?

I'd switch him with Ennis, but yeah makes sense to keep the younger cost controlled ones.

Look at it from the LV perspective:  Not who is the Sabres' most appealing player, but who is the best goalie available?  They select 3.  When you look at the projected list (someone posted it somewhere around here), Ullmark doesn't look to be one of those top 3 goalies compared to others available, and there are some excellent young talents.  Linus isn't the only one.Having said that, I think losing Linus is a possibility, but there are lots of other scenarios as well.

I was going to reply something very similar to this. Thanks for saving me the time :).

One of Reimer and Luongo will be left unprotected in the expansion draft. Since Spuddy is going to be coach, count on one of them getting picked.

Any plans to get a new avatar now that your boy is off the table?

Simple, straight forward, and I think the best course of action as well.

I was not impressed last season. THIS season he was friggin phenomenal. Swallows up the high rebounds and puts the low ones where his D should be. Doesn't get suckered out of net like Miller.

If he goes to LV then so be it but it's a loss to the organization.

I'm pretty sure that a Ullmark is the player Murray has a deal with McPhee not to take, why would Murray praise him in his end of the year presser if he was worried about losing him?

Neither Ennis or Moulson seemed to keen about being here anymore per Paul Hamilton, I wouldnt be surprised if one them was the pick.

Amerks 2016-17 Year-End Award Winners

Most Valuable Player - Linus Ullmark

Dont believe any goalie in AHL had more saves than Linus Ullmark. 1525 saves

He averaged 28 shots against a game. His numbers weren't great but he's the only reason the Amerks didn't have a tank like record.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.