Hypothetically, Hischier or Patrick make Reinhart expendable?

LGR4GM

The more I think about Reinhart for Hanifan, the less I like it. Everyone is down on Sam because he didn't have the Eichel like growth in his game this past season. I'm not sure that's fair. His points went up and the skill we really need, playmaking, blossomed with an increase from 19 assists to 30. He is not a sniper and goal scoring won't be his primary role long term. I'm not ready to cash in that chip yet. I'd love to see what he could do as a full time 3rd center with players like Baptiste on the wing.

I also don't think Carolina makes that deal. They already have Staal and two other good young centers in Lindholm and Rask. What they need is wingers in addition to Aho and Skinner.

At this point, if we win a top 3 slot in the lottery, I'm trading down to get the top D (Maker or Liljigren) and other assets.

I won't tell anybody.

Lately, I've agreed with you and Dudacek and Flagg and True have agreed with me. Something is certainly wrong.

PS we still overpaid for Lehner. There I feel better.

Edited by GASabresFan

I could see Sam around 20 goals, 45 assists in the right situation. That's nothing to scoff at. He's getting there in year 2 with 17 and 30 this year in what people are calling "bad". He's #116 of 888 in points this season for skaters, #50 in centers. , around guys named Vanek, Pominville, Silvrferburg, Hossa, and Jagr. He's not going to be Jack Flash, but to dismiss him now is silly.

I keep Sam, get him to center, and trade the high pick if it comes for a slightly lower or D prospect. I'm not rolling the dice that The next pick will match that.

Edited by MattPie

The more I think about Reinhart for Hanifan, the less I like it. Everyone is down on Sam because he didn't have the Eichel like growth in his game this past season. I'm not sure that's fair. His points went up and the skill we really need, playmaking, blossomed with an increase from 19 assists to 30. He is not a sniper and goal scoring won't be his primary role long term. I'm not ready to cash in that chip yet. I'd love to see what he could do as a full time 3rd center with players like Baptiste on the wing.

I also don't think Carolina makes that deal. They already have Staal and two other good young centers in Lindholm and Rask. What they need is wingers in addition to Aho and Skinner.

At this point, if we win a top 3 slot in the lottery, I'm trading down to get the top D (Maker or Liljigren) and other assets.

Lately, I've agreed with you and Dudacek and Flagg and True have agreed with me. Something is certainly wrong.

I think what happened is the username change thing. We forget who you are and so we forget to be snarky and to disagree with everything you say :P 

There is no way I'm trading Reinhart for an unknown. Or even a D.

I still think our defensive woes are due to our forwards. Once we get some forwards who actually know how to (or can) break out of the zone our D will look a whole lot better.

I still think our defensive woes are due to our forwards. Once we get some forwards who actually know how to (or can) break out of the zone our D will look a whole lot better.

How can forwards break out of the zone when they're at the far blue line?

You're not wrong that there is a copious amount of floating and missed assignments from the FWs in the D-zone.

I'd say yes, especially if we can get Hischier. I know the Q doesn't have the same reputation as the other major junior leagues up there, but those Halifax Moosehead players seems to do alright in the NHL. Plus it would make NS happier than a shirtless Randy with a lifetime supply of cheeseburgers.

Thanks Drunkard, finally a Trailer Park Boys reference.  Drink!

I could see Sam around 20 goals, 45 assists in the right situation. That's nothing to scoff at. He's getting there in year 2 with 17 and 30 this year in what people are calling "bad". He's #116 of 888 in points this season for skaters, #50 in centers. , around guys named Vanek, Pominville, Silvrferburg, Hossa, and Jagr. He's not going to be Jack Flash, but to dismiss him now is silly.

I keep Sam, get him to center, and trade the high pick if it comes for a slightly lower or D prospect. I'm not rolling the dice that The next pick will match that.

The heart of how I feel about trading Reinhart really depends how the organization views him. Is him being a winger only a Bylsma thing, or does Murray now believe that's all he is? If Reinhart is only going to be a winger, I trade him for Hanifin without much angst at all. I don't love Hanifin, but he's got a reasonably good chance to be a top-3 D on a good team, which is more valuable than what I think Sam will get to as a winger.

But if we move Sam to center, the trade becomes much harder for me to make, as I think Sam's ceiling as a center is higher than Hanifin's as a Dman. And I still think a center spine of Eichel-ROR-Reinhart would be borderline impossible to handle for the opposition.

The heart of how I feel about trading Reinhart really depends how the organization views him. Is him being a winger only a Bylsma thing, or does Murray now believe that's all he is? If Reinhart is only going to be a winger, I trade him for Hanifin without much angst at all. I don't love Hanifin, but he's got a reasonably good chance to be a top-3 D on a good team, which is more valuable than what I think Sam will get to as a winger.

But if we move Sam to center, the trade becomes much harder for me to make, as I think Sam's ceiling as a center is higher than Hanifin's as a Dman. And I still think a center spine of Eichel-ROR-Reinhart would be borderline impossible to handle for the opposition.

I agree.  I want Reinhart as the 3rd line C.  We just need to find the right kind of wingers for the 3 guys.  I do like the idea of Foligno and Bailey flanking Reinhart, Okposo with Eichel and Baptiste with ROR.  I don't think we need Gionta back.  The question is Kane and Nylander.  Kane with Eichel makes sense for next year, but long-term?  Nylander isn't ready to be a top 2 line LW in the NHL yet.  We should do with him what Tor did with his brother and give him 2 full seasons in the AHL.  Therefore we need Ennis one more season.

Forwards 17-18

Kane Eichel Okposo (if healthy)

Ennis ROR Baptiste

Foligno Reinhart Bailey

Carrier Boyle Girgensons

I agree.  I want Reinhart as the 3rd line C.  We just need to find the right kind of wingers for the 3 guys.  I do like the idea of Foligno and Bailey flanking Reinhart, Okposo with Eichel and Baptiste with ROR.  I don't think we need Gionta back.  The question is Kane and Nylander.  Kane with Eichel makes sense for next year, but long-term?  Nylander isn't ready to be a top 2 line LW in the NHL yet.  We should do with him what Tor did with his brother and give him 2 full seasons in the AHL.  Therefore we need Ennis one more season.

Forwards 17-18

Kane Eichel Okposo (if healthy)

Ennis ROR Baptiste

Foligno Reinhart Bailey

Carrier Boyle Girgensons

He played his first year in the SHL, then played 37 games in AHL 1st year.   2nd year he started in the AHL, but then got called up to the NHL.

Our Nylander played his first year in the AHL, but looking at stats alone, I'd say ours is behind his older brother a bit.

Then again his older had a more established marlies team to play with.

Edited by Huckleberry

Nylander in one of his Sabres game did something that impressed me. He had the puck near the wall below the dot in the offensive zone. There was a defender in front of him. The goalie was square to the puck. Instead of just tossing it at the net or around the wall. He stopped turned and waited for his team to catch up. He just protected the puck and extended the play. Didn't result in a goal but it was so calm and collected. 19yr old kids shouldn't be nhl ready. I think with some patience Nylander will be... fine ;)

Also great hockey talk in this thread, loving it.

This. Just all this. Reinhart would be a better center btw Kane and Okposo then he'll ever be as Jack's winger. Edited by LGR4GM

How would people feel about flipping ROR to wing and making Reinhart his center? ROR-Samson-Okposo, Kane-Jack-?

I'm fine with ROR going to wing. I think he's stronger on faceoffs than Sam at the moment, so we could do what we did with Ott until Reinhart gets better on the draw. 

I like it, but I would have Eich centre that line and put Samson at centre on the second line with Kane and Nylander (?), maybe Nico if we win the lottery.

I just love Kane with EIchel, I think they work really well together. Kane-Eichel-Okposo would be fire, as the kids say.

While ROR to LW is tempting, I think he plays so much better at center. I also think we'd be better rolling 3 lines with ROR, Eichel and Reinhart down the middle. Wings are much easier to find and develop then centers and considering that our near ready prospects (Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, Carrier and Nylander), are almost entirely wingers, I'd rather keep ROR in the middle. Eventually, you might consider it depending on the development of centers Asplund and Pu, but for now, I don't think it makes much sense.

Since the last draft I've been anticipating what Nylander Eichel Fasching could become.

Wasted year for Hudson, but the kid has Foligno's size with better hands and can dominate down low.

Him and Jack possessing the puck could open the ice for Alex to work some magic.

Kane and Reinhart, KO and ROR: I still think our forwards could be good for a long time.

I'm worried about re-signing him.

(As in, worried he might not want to)

I'm hoping that his relationship with Jack keeps him here. He seems to have a good thing going in Buffalo. I wonder if our little town forcing him to keep his nose clean has forced some maturity on him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.