Hypothetically, Hischier or Patrick make Reinhart expendable?

LGR4GM

Say we win a top 2 pick. We have a decent shot of doing just that. If we draft Hischier (I like him more), does that mean we should actively explore trading Reinhart for a stud defender? 

I think it would be more likely that we trade the pick, but I don't know anything about the prospects this year.

I guess it comes down to Kane or Sam...I have no doubt teams will be interested in both (especially Anaheim who would love kane) and of course Sam is very attractive cause  he's young. we will have to sign one or both and it stands to reason we can't keep both and pay both big money. Is Sam worth big bucks? Think that is more the question...he seems like a good, steady 20+ scorer but nothing to crazy. hard to get aread on his worth around the league or what he is worth come contract time...

I'd say yes, especially if we can get Hischier. I know the Q doesn't have the same reputation as the other major junior leagues up there, but those Halifax Moosehead players seems to do alright in the NHL. Plus it would make NS happier than a shirtless Randy with a lifetime supply of cheeseburgers.

I want nothing to do with Nolan Patrick. Trade that pick

Honestly, trade the pick regardless. Reinhart is a great, if undervalued player. He's the age and player we need. Trade the pick, keep the developed prospect that has already proven he can play

Edited by WildCard

I'm on this train too. I trade the pick.

Would you get the same return though? I say nope, which is why I broached the subject. Reinhart is worth now today, no question. He will be fine. Is he worth more in 2 years? Are the Sabres better in 2 years with Hischier and (stud 23/24yr) defender? 

btw this is a thought exercise more than anything. I am not advocating trading Reinhart. 

Patrick Stefan - oft injured (prior to the draft and after)bust of a top overall pick in 1999 who Atlanta for some reason took over the Sedins. Stefan is most famous for missing an empty net on a breakaway while playing with the Stars. Comparing Nolan Patrick to Patrick Stefan is implying that Nolan is likely to be a similar bust as a NHL player. Does this help?

I don't want Nolan either.

As to trading Reinhart. If I can get Nico and turn Reinhart into Hanifan and a pick or prospect, I'd consider it.

Edited by GASabresFan

Patrick Stefan - oft injured (prior to the draft and after)bust of a top overall pick in 1999 who Atlanta for some reason took over the Sedins. Stefan is most famous for missing an empty net on a breakaway while playing with the Stars. Comparing Nolan Patrick to Patrick Stefan is implying that Nolan is likely to be a similar bust as a NHL player. Does this help?

I don't want Nolan either.

Lol I got the reference. 

Would you get the same return though? I say nope, which is why I broached the subject. Reinhart is worth now today, no question. He will be fine. Is he worth more in 2 years? Are the Sabres better in 2 years with Hischier and (stud 23/24yr) defender? 

btw this is a thought exercise more than anything. I am not advocating trading Reinhart. 

No, but I think I'd rather trade the pick and a lesser youngish player (Girgensons, Carrier, Foligno, Baptise, etc.) than lose Reinhart. I think he's going to be great, I really do.

I think he should be expendable already if he can bring in a true stud dman -I dont think anyone is looking to trade away one though.

Failing that, I think keeping Samson and the pick and making a deal with a team that can't protect all their d in the expansion draft at a much  lower cost

Even better, trade down a couple of slots, get a young d prospect in the trade and draft Makar.

Edited by Crusader1969

No, but I think I'd rather trade the pick and a lesser youngish player (Girgensons, Carrier, Foligno, Baptise, etc.) than lose Reinhart. I think he's going to be great, I really do.

excellent! See we are talking hockey! HOCKEY! at I love it. The next step is to guess at a player you could trade the pick and a sweetner for. 

It's the offseason and we have nothing but time, don't get mad, get creative SS

Win the lottery, we trade the pick to Carolina for Justin Faulk or Noah Hanifin (add flavour to the deal as needed)

interesting thought, I like Hanifin

I'd go further. I trade the pick and Lehner to Anaheim for a defenseman and ____.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.