And your 2017-2018 Buffalo Sabres Captain is...

sabills

2017-2018 Captaincy  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the "C":

• Brian Gionta
    • Ryan O'Rielly
    • Jack Eichel
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Other (please comment)
    • Co-captains (please comment)
  2. 2. Who gets the "A's" (pick 2):

• Brian Gionta
    • Ryan O'Rielly
    • Jack Eichel
    • Rasmus Ristolainen
    • Kyle Okposo
    • Josh Gorges
    • Samson Reinhart
    • Marcus Foligno
    • Zach Bogosian
    • Evander Kane
    • Matt Moulson
    • Tyler Ennis
    • Other (please comment)
  3. 3. If Gionta is back he should get:

• The C
    • An A
    • Nothing

No, they are making him earn it. Just because you're paid the most doesn't mean you just get everything handed to you. No silver spoons. 

It's inevitable. There is no way he's not the captain. Making him earn it is just a garbage excuse for delaying it. He is the face of the franchise, it's his city and his team. There is nothing more to earn, it's his

Rivet thinks they want to make Jack Eichel earn the captaincy. They won't just give it to him. 

Listening to that now as well.

I think Rivet and Peters are hockey dinosaurs, but they are all about him earning the captaincy and paying their dues. They both want a grizzled veteran to get the C.

bitching about Crosby over Guerin from back in the day.

I think Rivet and Peters are hockey dinosaurs, but they are all about him earning the captaincy and paying their dues. They both want a grizzled veteran to get the C.

lol yea that was hilarious. 

It's inevitable. There is no way he's not the captain. Making him earn it is just a garbage excuse for delaying it. He is the face of the franchise, it's his city and his team. There is nothing more to earn, it's his

Trust the proooo cessss

I'm so happy I don't listen to that show :lol:

I agree.

If you really want to see those leadership qualities, give him the "C" and watch him blossom.

I would assume that Housley may mean "assistant captains" tomorrow in the lineup. 

At least we aren't the Knights... 

Vegas Golden Knights Retweeted Vegas Golden Knights

"With respect to the way our players have responded the last few days, we feel we have 23 captains."--McPhee

Edited by LGR4GM

I would assume that Housley may mean "assistant captains" tomorrow in the lineup. 

At least we aren't the Knights... 

Vegas Golden Knights Retweeted Vegas Golden Knights

"With respect to the way our players have responded the last few days, we feel we have 23 captains."--McPhee

That's brutal

I am hoping they don't announce anything until right before the Sabres skate onto the ice and the Buffalo announcer calls out the lineup "...and number 15, your Captain, Jaaaaaaaaaaack Eichel!"

Possible.

What's he supposed to do, bring in cookies for everyone? 

This is so stupid. Just give him the damn letter.

Did you see the post above?

Housley: “We might have something tomorrow, but obviously we’re going to have captains tomorrow in our lineup,” he said.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/contract-done-sabres-happy-jack-eichel-can-focus-hockey/

Hmmmm.

At least Housley while being positive just say all 23 of my guys are special snowflakes... ROCKS IN A QUARRY ######!

I think he's just complementing his guys on how they've responded to the tragedy in their playing city. Don't have a problem with it.

There isn't really a reason I can see for not naming a captain before the season starts, unless they are saving it for Eichel. As in, if it was going to ROR for example, he would have already gotten it, right?

Eichel is going to get it. I just think they want Eichel to seize it "organically". That, and probably not wanting to place everything on a 20 year old at once: big contact, big expectations, and the captaincy. He's already got the first two on his shoulders, the C will follow in time.

Edited by Thorny

There isn't really a reason I can see for not naming a captain before the season starts, unless they are saving it for Eichel. As in, if it was going to ROR for example, he would have already gotten it, right?

Eichel is going to get it. I just think they want Eichel to seize it "organically". That, and probably not wanting to place everything on a 20 year old at once: big contact, big expectations, and the captaincy. He's already got the first two on his shoulders, the C will follow in time.

Yeah, at about 7:15 tomorrow night.

"Will not be naming a captain to start the season off" - Botterill just now

Season started tonight... tomorrow is tomorrow and it's not like a GM ever shaded reality before.  I mean, honestly, who's going to ride Botteril for stringing them along on THIS issue?

Feel like Botterill wouldn't have said that then if there was any doubt they might name one. Doesn't seem like the guy to get a comment like that wrong

See above,  It's a done deal.

Seriously... I could see Pommer and ROR and Jack wear As on their practice jerseys, but when they come out for introductions, Jack will have changed into a C.

That would be the way to do it.  Because everyone will be all a buzz about who has what in the warm up skate.... perfect entertainment.  If the Sabres don't do that at this point I'll actually be disappointed.  Anything less than announcing him as the C when he is introduced tomorrow for the start of the game and I will not have a drink for the entire game...

But if they do announce him as the C.... hoo boy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.