GDT: Sabres at Blue Jackets- 7:00PM 3-28-17 MSG

Winston

So, Samson was going to be scratched but KO got sick and you can't use "Samson is healthy but needs to be punished" as an excuse to have an emergency call up, and if KO was sick late anyway they wouldn't have had time, so Sam spent the suspension on the bench?

The only thing I don't get is what Vogl means by the punishment being increased.

Does he mean Samson did something that was going to get him punished for a shift, but then was late and so the punishment extended to the full game? Or does he mean that when Jack missed a meeting he only was benched for a power play, but now the punishment for that infraction is worse, the whole game?

Edited by Randall Flagg

So, Samson was going to be scratched but KO got sick and you can't use "Samson is healthy but needs to be punished" as an excuse to have an emergency call up, and if KO was sick late anyway they wouldn't have had time, so Sam spent the suspension on the bench?

The only thing I don't get is what Vogl means by the punishment being increased.

Does he mean Samson did something that was going to get him punished for a shift, but then was late and so the punishment extended to the full game? Or does he mean that when Jack missed a meeting he only was benched for a power play, but now the punishment for that infraction is worse, the whole game?

Gionta said it "wasn't a big mistake" --- seems to contradict what Vogl said "increased"

Does it even matter? You lost a player at press time. The punishment has to wait. If they needed to punish Sam that badly and "they do things as a team" the perhaps the response should have been to forfeit the game no? Anything less is a bush league half-measure.

They could have dressed him and had him sit in the locker room to comply with the rule, no? Making him sit there on the bench is ###### amateur hour.

True. Nothing immediately comes to mind in the CBA nor the rulebook requiring 13 skaters & a goalie on the bench after the game starts.

Does this read like 'I've lost the respect of the room so now I'm gonna show them who's boss and make them respect me!' to anyone else?

Massive overcorrection IMO only comes because you feel like your back is against the wall. This may be the best evidence that DD is about to be fired and he knows it.

Does it even matter? You lost a player at press time. The punishment has to wait. If they needed to punish Sam that badly and "they do things as a team" the perhaps the response should have been to forfeit the game no? Anything less is a bush league half-measure.

Do you mean to tell me Bylsma struggled with adapting to a dynamic situation? I'M SHOCKED!

Does this read like 'I've lost the respect of the room so now I'm gonna show them who's boss and make them respect me!' to anyone else?

Massive overcorrection IMO only comes because you feel like your back is against the wall. This may be the best evidence that DD is about to be fired and he knows it.

If this the hill Dan chooses to die on, fine

And Buffalo's Finest TBN Hockey Reporter agrees with Dan's Decision and is retweeting everyone who agrees with him

DD needs to explain why he was dressed and on bench and not in press box --- public shaming seems severe

-- or -- someone needs to leak that it was significantly more egregious than being late to meeting

Without more explanation this is crap

He could have sat him for a couple shifts 

The only thing left to this that's interesting is when the punishment was elevated. If it was because Samson did two bad things, like maybe mouthing off after being late, then whatever. But if it was a full game punishment after Jack missed a shift, that kind of stuff doesn't go over well. You need to treat people equally. A public humiliation like that when a different player missed one shift, that's a little whack.

The only thing left to this that's interesting is when the punishment was elevated. If it was because Samson did two bad things, like maybe mouthing off after being late, then whatever. But if it was a full game punishment after Jack missed a shift, that kind of stuff doesn't go over well. You need to treat people equally. A public humiliation like that when a different player missed one shift, that's a little whack.

Jack was penalized a PP shift because Jack wasn't doing what the coaches wanted him to on the PP. It was simply to send him a message. We're talking apples and oranges here.

What's also bizarre - Kane missed an entire practice, he didn't show up because he was partying late in Toronto the night before. That seems way worse than being late for a meeting, but the punishment was the same.

Jack was penalized a PP shift because Jack wasn't doing what the coaches wanted him to on the PP. It was simply to send him a message. We're talking apples and oranges here.

I thought Jack was penalized because he was late for a meeting. My mistake if that's incorrect.

Or it could be a coach who knows he's coming back and has gotten the OK from GMTM and even OTP to start to lay down the law.

Or it could be a coach who knows he's coming back and has gotten the OK from GMTM and even OTP to start to lay down the law.

I think if that was the case we'd have seen that by now. Why would your bosses only give you permission at the end of the season to discipline your team? If you knew for certain that you were coming back next year I think that's when you'd switch gears. Not a few games before the season ends.

I'm sorry but everyone trying to use the Reinhart benching as an excuse to fire Dan are damned fools.

If it was Kane who was benched for violating a team policy everybody would be begging for Murray to trade him.

Young Samson ###### up and suddenly it's Dan's fault .. yeah OK.

Benching a young star for anymore than a couple of shifts is just plain stupid, Kane or otherwise and no we didn't ask for Murray to trade Kane over missing the thing in TO last year...   Was more worried about him out on the town in Buffalo... Sure Sam screwed up, but your statement is idiotic...   and Dan should be fired because of it..

Edited by North Buffalo

Here's the thing, if DD was a great coach who was winning games that'd be a different story. But when you continually prove your ineptitude as a coach you don't have the good will built up to publicly shame one of your star players for a minor incident.

Exactly... And if this was a good veteran team maybe then but for a minor infraction.. I still disagree...  Shaming only breeds more resentment... and resistance. 

Another Erod turnover leading to a goal..he needs to clean that up if he wants to be in the NHL next year

He's not an NHL player. If he makes this team next year, Murray isn't doing his job.

I like the kid, he's got heart. He's just not NHL material.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.