GDT: Sabres at Blue Jackets- 7:00PM 3-28-17 MSG

Winston

This one is a "home game" for me, and I have something cool to share. So why not take a crack at my first GTD...

POP QUIZ:

Who most recently scored a goal at Nationwide Arena?

A) Nick Foligno

B) Alexander Wennberg

C) Brandon Saad

D) SabreSpace's very own, EichSnipe

If you picked D, you are correct! 

This past Saturday, I got to attend the Blue Jackets-Flyers game for work. A little backstory- I work professionally for the Boy Scouts here in Columbus. I do behind-the-scenes, nonprofit fundraising, recruitment, that sort of thing. As you probably know, a big fundraiser is the annual popcorn sale. This game was Scout day, and all Scouts that sold over $X worth of popcorn got to attend the game, then go out onto the ice for a slapshot afterwards. I was there to assist and supervise, but obviously I did not pass up the chance to take my own shot. I'm an all-pro at knee hockey, but haven't ever dabbled in on-ice hockey. Rather than embarrassing myself by missing the net and blasting the boards, I took a solid wrister from about 50 feet.... and with a name like mine, you know I sniped it. 

Pics, including obligatory center ice selfie.

xodrP4xl.jpgITwWZK1l.jpg

It was pretty cool to be out on the ice at an NHL barn. Then I came home to watch whip the Leafs and read all of your guys' cool stories. What a hockey day!

To the game at hand: The Sabres are coming off a 4-2 win on home ice over the Panthers. Jack Eichel, a point per game player, picked up 2 assists. Gionta scored in his 1000th game, while Foligno, Bogosian, and ROR also added goals for the Sabres. It was a strong game from start to finish, despite Risto missing his second game to suspension. He'll miss his third and final game tonight.

Columbus last played on Saturday, the game I was at. Just like last time we played the Jackets, Bobrovsky comes in hot. He just shut out the Flyers 1-0, and has only allowed 3 goals in his last 4 games. It's not for a lack of shots, as he has made 33, 35, 44, and 36 saves in those four games, respectively. To the surprise of some, the Jackets still have very realistic hopes of a Presidents Trophy. They sit 3 points back of Washington, each with 8 games to play. They have plenty incentive to chase them down, too. Right now, the Jackets and Penguins would face off in the opening round. If they snagged the #1 seed, they'd get the Bruins. 

I root for the Blue Jackets 79 times a year, but not today baby! I'll be at this one, donning my Eichel jersey, and hoping to see him score right where I did Saturday afternoon.

Assuming lines are the same, the Sabres will go with the following. I would expect Nilsson in net, but I'm not making any promises.

t0Oh9BDl.jpg

Awesome story.

Let's go Buffalo!!

Thanks! Love your post in the scrapbook thread. Very eloquently put. I get the same childlike joy out of watching Jack as I did watching Danny Briere as an 11 year old. The giddiness when he touches the puck is unreal. I don't think anything in sports gets me closer to the edge of my seat than when he's in the "Ovi spot" on the peeper, stick cocked and ready to unleash.

Many years ago the Sabres Alumni used to hold a tournament on game days. Best event ever! Eight alumni players drafted whoever signed up and played a round robin on the Sabres ice before a game which you got to watch from the Alumni suite. I remember the feeling of being in the crease in my goalie gear, the same crease Hasek played in, looking up at 18,000+ empty seats in what was HSBC at the time,and feeling awed. Then Danny Gare ripped a wrister past me with no mercy.

POP QUIZ:

Who most recently scored a goal at Nationwide Arena?

A) Nick Foligno

B) Alexander Wennberg

C) Brandon Saad

D) SabreSpace's very own, EichSnipe

If you picked D, you are correct! 

This past Saturday, I got to attend the Blue Jackets-Flyers game for work. A little backstory- I work professionally for the Boy Scouts here in Columbus. I do behind-the-scenes, nonprofit fundraising, recruitment, that sort of thing. As you probably know, a big fundraiser is the annual popcorn sale. This game was Scout day, and all Scouts that sold over $X worth of popcorn got to attend the game, then go out onto the ice for a slapshot afterwards. I was there to assist and supervise, but obviously I did not pass up the chance to take my own shot. I'm an all-pro at knee hockey, but haven't ever dabbled in on-ice hockey. Rather than embarrassing myself by missing the net and blasting the boards, I took a solid wrister from about 50 feet.... and with a name like mine, you know I sniped it. 

This is fantastic...thank you for sharing. I hope your avatar namesake lights the lamp a couple of times tonight in your honor!

This is fantastic...thank you for sharing. I hope your avatar namesake lights the lamp a couple of times tonight in your honor!

My shot was on the end where the Sabres shoot twice. My seats tonight are not-so-accidentally on the shoot-twice side as well. I have a good feeling about tonight. Jack's gonna score :)

Thanks! Love your post in the scrapbook thread. Very eloquently put. I get the same childlike joy out of watching Jack as I did watching Danny Briere as an 11 year old. The giddiness when he touches the puck is unreal. I don't think anything in sports gets me closer to the edge of my seat than when he's in the "Ovi spot" on the peeper, stick cocked and ready to unleash.

Not a chance I feel old after reading that.  :(

Go Sabres... I might be out shopping for baseball equipment.. oy!

When I read the first bit and saw the answer to the quiz I immediately thought ... oh, that EichSnipe and his bride ... underneath the grandstand ... SCORED!!

Now, that's a great ending to the story and forget the rest ...  :flirt:

+++++

The real story is actually very awesome, indeed.

MUST WIN!!

GO SABRES!!

Not a chance I feel old after reading that.  :(

Go Sabres... I might be out shopping for baseball equipment.. oy!

The very thought I had.

Ha, I often get in trouble at work for saying similar things. The guy in the picture with me is the one I irk the most. We're just 13 years apart, but 13 years at a certain time in life is the difference between college and kindergarten. 

FYI this game is being streamed for free via twitter for anyone out of market who doesn't pay for center ice.

I imagine this link will go live sometime before the game: https://twitter.com/i/live/808446970830327808

Thanks, I may need that link.  Heavy thunderstorms expected here tonight which may block the signal to my dish.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.