Why is Jack Not The #1 Center?

WildCard

There are roles and pairings in the Society of the Buffalo Sabres. These roles and pairings shan't be messed around with. They are as follows:

ROR plays with KO and gets hard minutes, around 22-24 of them.
Jack plays with Samson and gets offensive minutes, almost as many of them as ROR, usually around 18-20.

Two of Foligno/Zemgus/Gionta are always together and get defensive minutes. 

Kane/Ennis/Bailey/ERod/Deslauriers/Moulson move between as the leader of the Society sees fit. 

Sam will never play center, ROR will never play wing, and Moulson will always, always, always play. 

PP slaps serve as punishment for those who disobey these rules

What makes him not #1?  He plays with 2 out of 3 of our top wingers (KO, being the third) and leads forwards in EVTOI/GP and PPTOI/GP.  The only thing the ROR has is a huge amount of time SH, which is due to his aforementioned defensive responsibility and faceoff ability.

There are roles and pairings in the Society of the Buffalo Sabres. These roles and pairings shan't be messed around with. They are as follows:

ROR plays with KO and gets hard minutes, around 22-24 of them.

Jack plays with Samson and gets offensive minutes, almost as many of them as ROR, usually around 18-20.

Two of Foligno/Zemgus/Gionta are always together and get defensive minutes. 

Kane/Ennis/Bailey/ERod/Deslauriers/Moulson move between as the leader of the Society sees fit. 

Sam will never play center, ROR will never play wing, and Moulson will always, always, always play. 

PP slaps serve as punishment for those who disobey these rules

You are adorable when you are on this season long tangent.

You are adorable when you are on this season long tangent.

What's my tangent? Is it the Bylsma thing? I think any coach has basic setups like that, even if their substance is slightly different. I don't think Jack is the #1 center yet until he gets better at the things that have been mentioned in this thread

And don't you worry, I have one more big Bylsma post in the works!

What's my tangent? Is it the Bylsma thing? I think any coach has basic setups like that, even if their substance is slightly different. I don't think Jack is the #1 center yet until he gets better at the things that have been mentioned in this thread

Hurry, I'm bored af right now :lol:

Is that a promise?

;)

Doesn't it kinda depend what we mean by #1 center? If it's purely time on ice, then Carp is right, and it's due to PK time. If we mean matching up with the other team's best forwards, I would say it's because Jack is still poor defensively...but even if he wasn't, I don't want him taking those matchups anyway. Why stifle his offense?

Doesn't it kinda depend what we mean by #1 center? If it's purely time on ice, then Carp is right, and it's due to PK time. If we mean matching up with the other team's best forwards, I would say it's because Jack is still poor defensively...but even if he wasn't, I don't want him taking those matchups anyway. Why stifle his offense?

Who was our #1 center in 2006-07, Danny or Chris?  If remember correctly, Chris got the matchups against other teams' #1 centers more often, but Danny led the team in EV TOI/GP and total TOI/GP.  The pair were actually similar, in that Chris was better defensively and on faceoffs, so he averaged over 2 1/2 minutes more per game SH'd.  However, to WildCard's point, Danny averaged more than that above Chris at EV, such that their total TOI/GP was close (Danny averaged about 1/2 minute more.)

Edited by carpandean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.