GDT: Chicago Blackhawks vs. Buffalo Sabres 6PM at KBC on NBCSN

jsb

The lineup I hope to see when we come back:

Bailey - ROR - Okposo

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta 

Carrier - Rodrigues - Baptiste

I agree with a lot you had to say. The team just looked shot tonight. And you could really see it with their frustration during that 5v3 PP. The whole team has looked shot tonight, i don't think it wouldve mattered who we played tonight, we probably werent going to win. Gio as you mentioned hasn't been the same for a couple of weeks now, and same goes for Foligno.

But, in the lines post break - I would still get Moulson out there and trust me, i am in no way a fan of Moulson. I just think he's more useful for us on the PP then Baptiste would be for us for several minutes of EV on the fourth line. I also would like to see Carrier back on the top line with ROR and Okposo. They were a corsi-power line when they were healthy for a while.

But overall, i mostly agree with your points.

I agree with a lot you had to say. The team just looked shot tonight. And you could really see it with their frustration during that 5v3 PP. The whole team has looked shot tonight, i don't think it wouldve mattered who we played tonight, we probably werent going to win. Gio as you mentioned hasn't been the same for a couple of weeks now, and same goes for Foligno.

But, in the lines post break - I would still get Moulson out there and trust me, i am in no way a fan of Moulson. I just think he's more useful for us on the PP then Baptiste would be for us for several minutes of EV on the fourth line. I also would like to see Carrier back on the top line with ROR and Okposo. They were a corsi-power line when they were healthy for a while.

But overall, i mostly agree with your points.

I also would like to see Carrier back in that spot at some point too, I remember that line being devastating together for their brief stretch. Even if he wasn't racking up the points, we felt the benefit of that line's cycle all down the lineup.

Edited by Randall Flagg

So the Gold Bar Standard Team for rebuilds came into town and showed Buffalo what they need to aspire to?  

30 games behind .500 when it bottomed out then rebuild, then it was

20 games below .500,

2 games below .500,  

10 games above .500, and a conference finals appearance,  

22 games above .500 and a Stanley Cup win 

So they went from a cellar team to Stanley Cup champs in basically 4 seasons, and each year was constant improvement.  We sure don't seem to be on the same steady climb to the top pacing here.   

No excuses, if this team isn't pushing deep into playoffs next year, and above .500,  the rebuild isn't effective.  

I also would like to see Carrier back in that spot at some point too, I remember that line being devastating together for their brief stretch. Even if he wasn't racking up the points, we felt the benefit of that line's cycle all down the lineup.

I agree completely and would love to see that line up.  Grant and D-lo should sit for sure, doubt they'll scratch ennis and moulson though.

All in all, you can't be surprised by the loss...... The scheduling was tough...... 

What was pleasantly surprising to me was the energy brought by the call-up team, and the fact that they didn't look to be in over their heads..... E-Rod, Bailey, Baptiste..... all brought great pace, with the ability to take away space and create space quickly. E-rod played way beyond what I was expecting. The Chicago game was the 3rd game in 3 nights for Baptiste, as he played in Rochester on Friday at 7PM. I'm excited to see these guys with some fresh batteries after the break.

So the Gold Bar Standard Team for rebuilds came into town and showed Buffalo what they need to aspire to?

20 games below .500,

2 games below .500,

So they went from a cellar team to Stanley Cup champs in basically 4 seasons, and each year was constant improvement. We sure don't seem to be on the same steady climb to the top pacing here.

No excuses, if this team isn't pushing deep into playoffs next year, and above .500, the rebuild isn't effective.

14-15: 35 games under .500

15-16:12 games under .500

16-17: 7 games below and trending up

If they keep the post New Year pace, they're right on the Chicago schedule.

Edited by sodbuster

20 games below .500,

2 games below .500,  

So they went from a cellar team to Stanley Cup champs in basically 4 seasons, and each year was constant improvement.  We sure don't seem to be on the same steady climb to the top pacing here.   

No excuses, if this team isn't pushing deep into playoffs next year, and above .500,  the rebuild isn't effective.  

Chicago was bad for 10 years prior to your run that you have pointed out. Very bad. Their minor system was stocked with high end draft picks long before Kane and Toews arrived.

Apples and oranges.

I appreciate the team spirit gents but that was a pretty disheartening loss. They were dominated and outclassed for most of the game.

I don't like to use the Jack injury excuse for losses. It was more bad coaching to me . Injuries happen. But.....

Sunday was a totally acceptable loss. They hung for the 1st period and just had no legs because of one of the worst scheduling debacles the NHL has ever done to a team. The last game was a back to back games on a run of 11 in 18 days.  Chicago was fresh and rested. The Sabres had no chance.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Yup. We got whupped. 

Meh.  Think of it as A Learning Experience.  Jack in particular played well I think but still got burned on some defensive plays (like the Toews goal).  He needs to look at the tap and see what he might have done better.  (Hard to imagine on that play, he was pretty will draped on Toews.)

20 games below .500,

2 games below .500,  

Don't agree at all in your timeline. I guess I remember how down Chicago was and how long it took to get where they are now.

Meh.  Think of it as A Learning Experience.  Jack in particular played well I think but still got burned on some defensive plays (like the Toews goal).  He needs to look at the tap and see what he might have done better.  (Hard to imagine on that play, he was pretty will draped on Toews.)

I honestly thought we hung in there okay for the first two periods. But man, Chicago just took it to us once they realized we were running out of gas. We got whupped, but it wasn't for lack of trying. 

Its really difficult to compare how Chicago got to this point with where we are in the rebuild. Chicago was bad for a decade because they had an owner that didnt want to spend money. Was their pipeline stacked? I'd have to do more research than I care to, but I wouldnt assume it. They werent trying to win in any way shape or form. Mr. Wirtz was bleeding that team for all he could. He was selling everything he could, prospects and vets alike, if he thought it would get him another dollar in his pocket.

If you want to compare timelines you have to start with when Bill Wirtz died and his kid took over. That's when they started to build with an eye on winning.

Its really difficult to compare how Chicago got to this point with where we are in the rebuild. Chicago was bad for a decade because they had an owner that didnt want to spend money. Was their pipeline stacked? I'd have to do more research than I care to, but I wouldnt assume it. They werent trying to win in any way shape or form. Mr. Wirtz was bleeding that team for all he could. He was selling everything he could, prospects and vets alike, if he thought it would get him another dollar in his pocket.

If you want to compare timelines you have to start with when Bill Wirtz died and his kid took over. That's when they started to build with an eye on winning.

Considerations I agree. Sr. Wirtz passed away ten years ago. Edited by Radar

Meh. Think of it as A Learning Experience. Jack in particular played well I think but still got burned on some defensive plays (like the Toews goal). He needs to look at the tap and see what he might have done better. (Hard to imagine on that play, he was pretty will draped on Toews.)

How many learning experiences do we really need?

I'm sick of chalking up losses to injuries, schedule, etc. Good teams win games, or at least freaking compete in them. We are outshot 2:1 in every game, and outclassed for at least half the game, every game. This team is embarrassing

They were right where Toronto is, and where we should be.

I honestly thought we hung in there okay for the first two periods. But man, Chicago just took it to us once they realized we were running out of gas. We got whupped, but it wasn't for lack of trying. 

Yeah, honestly I thought the game was watchable until the 4th goal.  Then you kind of knew.

Both teams were on back-to-backs, but the Hawks had just finished their by week before that, so they were certainly better rested than the Sabres.  I can't fault the effort the Sabres put in, but talent + system + depth + rest was greater for Chicago than for Buffalo.... this time.

I'm really hoping Rodrigues sticks as 4C.  He's smooth, confident and smart.

How many learning experiences do we really need?

You don't have kids, do you?  ;)

I'm sick of chalking up losses to injuries, schedule, etc. Good teams win games, or at least freaking compete in them. We are outshot 2:1 in every game, and outclassed for at least half the game, every game. This team is embarrassing

This team has a fatal flaw.  I'm not talking about a lack of defence, or a lack of wingers.  I'm talking about something in its character that I can't put my finger on.  The one period of inspired hockey followed by two of barely hanging on is a symptom.  so is the inability to breach the door of the teams between us and a playoff spot.  There is enough good players on this team that it shouldn't be a monumental task to get into the playoffs.  I'm not sure if it is discipline, or just that gut desire, but something is off kilter.  My hope is that it is simply youth, but I'm not sure that's it.

This team has a fatal flaw.  I'm not talking about a lack of defence, or a lack of wingers.  I'm talking about something in its character that I can't put my finger on.  The one period of inspired hockey followed by two of barely hanging on is a symptom.  so is the inability to breach the door of the teams between us and a playoff spot.  There is enough good players on this team that it shouldn't be a monumental task to get into the playoffs.  I'm not sure if it is discipline, or just that gut desire, but something is off kilter.  My hope is that it is simply youth, but I'm not sure that's it.

It's the coach. Your coach provides your identity. We have the vets, talent, and leadership on this team. They stick up for each other, hang out, and enjoy one another. When they get down and can't rebound, it's 10000% on Byslma. Just like it was in Pittsburgh 

It's the coach. Your coach provides your identity. We have the vets, talent, and leadership on this team. They stick up for each other, hang out, and enjoy one another. When they get down and can't rebound, it's 10000% on Byslma. Just like it was in Pittsburgh

Not to pile on, but I agree.

I really expect this team to move to another level when that cord is cut.

I'm not convinced.  Not saying I like what the coach is doing, but it seems to me that after Jack got called out and started playing within the system the team showed flashes of looking real good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.