GDT: Chicago Blackhawks vs. Buffalo Sabres 6PM at KBC on NBCSN

jsb

The Buffalo Sabres try for their first 4 game winning streak of the year against the Blackhawks of Chicago in Buffalo on national tv NBCSN. The Sabres come in also as the 2nd hottest team in the Atlantic Division trailing only the Florida Panthers in the last 10 games. They are also trailing the final wildcard spot and the 3 slot in the division by 2 points albeit with games in hand. 

Interesting info on Sabres.

Risto and McCabe had the fewest minutes per 5v5 of any D pairings versus the St.Louie Blues

Kane with his 20th goal of the season 

Since the return of Jack on November 29th he is leading the team by averaging .84 points per game. In that same time span Kane is 2nd on the team at .78 points per game

Sabres original 6 D pairings Risto-McCabe-Bogo-Kulik-Franson-Gorges finally healthy and played one of their first games as a set yesterday

Since Lehner's outburst the Sabres are 3-0, Eichel looking better than ever. Is it a coincidence that they are finally listening to DDB???

LET'S GO BUFFALO

Chicago Tribune Preview:

Storylines: The Hawks beat the Sabres in the teams' first meeting this year 4-3 in overtime on Jan. 5. The Hawks had 43 shots on goal in that game, tied for the most they had in any game this season entering Saturday.

Trending: The Sabres enter Sunday having won four of their last five. Ryan O'Reilly has a four game point streak. … Hawks' Duncan Keith had seven points in his last five games entering Saturday.

ESPN Preview:

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Sabres have a chance to head into their week off on a high note -- one that seemed close to impossible only a few weeks ago.

Buffalo rides a three-game winning streak into Sunday afternoon's game against the Chicago Blackhawks and a victory could move them into the final wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference.

"We're looking at stringing three together, being four of five here," Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said. "And when you're playing games that close together it adds up pretty quickly when you can win three in a row, you can get four of five and add eight points to the column ... and we've got one more chance at it before the break here."

The Sabres (26-23-10) are coming off a 3-2 victory over the St. Louis Blues on Saturday. Buffalo ended a six-game win streak for the Blues by jumping out to a 3-1 lead and holding off an aggressive attack in the third period.

One key for the Sabres in recent games has been the play of goaltender Robin Lehner. Ever since calling out his teammates following a loss to Vancouver one week ago, Lehner has been exceptional and his teammates responded in kind.

Lehner made 37 saves against St. Louis and made sure Buffalo remained on top despite being outshot 17-7 in the third period.

"As I said before, it's the small, minor details that's been hurting us," Lehner said. "It's not been many times this year where I felt we could complain about our effort. ... Slowly but surely we're starting to put them together but still, we've got a big game here (Sunday)."

Power forward Evander Kane is leading the way on offense for Buffalo with six goals in his past six games. Kane had a goal and an assist against St. Louis, reaching the 20-goal mark for the second season in a row.

"(Chicago has) a lot of talent up front, they're a puck possession team, and we're going to have to have a lot of what we had tonight," Kane said.

The Blackhawks (35-18-5) had a five-game win streak come to a close Saturday in a 3-1 home loss to the Edmonton Oilers. Chicago was playing for the first time in a week after defeating Edmonton 5-1 and Winnipeg 5-2.

The Blackhawks fell Saturday despite putting 39 shots on net.

"I didn't mind how we played," Chicago coach Joel Quenneville said. "I still thought we had generated enough throughout the game. Didn't give up much. I think we'd probably be happy with that effort or that game for most nights and generally would come out with something better than a loss."

Buffalo native Patrick Kane leads the Blackhawks in points with 58 (19 goals, 39 assists).

post-4541-0-43349100-1487505399.png

post-4541-0-75725900-1487505412_thumb.jpg

post-4541-0-48968600-1487505424.jpg

post-4541-0-38619500-1487505445_thumb.jpg

post-4541-0-57839700-1487505458_thumb.jpg

post-4541-0-14409100-1487505474_thumb.jpg

Keep going strong with the GDTs, jsb.

Anyone else want to see someone flatten Patrick Kane?

Thanks, I feel I'm getting a little better, as an example I remembered to put GDT in the thread title this time!!!

Not on WildCard's or Doohickie's level or some others but that's what I'm shooting for.

jesus Christ.

Luckily I had only wanted us to steal one of these two weekend games.

Now Nilsson has what, at least two weeks between action once this break is up!

Byslma going all Lindy with his goalie usage

He had DDB's back...... DDB's got his back and by the way he's been nothing short of awesome lately and the 2nd game in the last B2B wasn't his fault. You don't change a winning formula with a near week off coming up

I refuse to let you diminish my enthusiasm for the 3 game winning streak and about to be 4, GO SABRES

I hope you're right - but in general goalies lose like 10% the second night off their save percentage, and Lehner has proven to be no exception to that - he was yanked the first time Dan tried it and allowed four goals in a loss to a bad team last week the second time Dan tried it.

Some stats courtesy of nhl.com flexible search feature:

Since Eichel came back (11/29/2017):

Eichel is 23rd in points

Kane is 2nd in goals

Sabres are 11th in points

Sabres are 11th in goals scored

Since 1/1/2017:

Sabres are 4th in points and 7th in goals

Lehner is 3rd in save percentage (starters)

These blew my mind, all I here is doom and gloom from friends and family -- WOW

Things are looking up

GMTM's trade for Kane AND Lehner both look good

Anyone else think it was odd that with all the talk about balancing right and left shots on the blueline, we finally had a completely healthy D yesterday and played two lefties together (Gorges, Kulikov) and two righties (Franson, Bogosian)?

Though the pairings were listed as that, there was a LOT of Ristolainen-Gorges & Kulikov-McCabe last night. (Which is still gettin L-L working on 2nd pair.) And, for whatever reason, Bogosian seems comfortable on his off-side when out w/ Franson. Expect it was mainly to keep Bogosian & Franson together.

Some stats courtesy of nhl.com flexible search feature:

Since Eichel came back (11/29/2017):

Eichel is 23rd in points

Kane is 2nd in goals

Sabres are 11th in points

Sabres are 11th in goals scored

Since 1/1/2017:

Sabres are 4th in points and 7th in goals

Lehner is 3rd in save percentage (starters)

These blew my mind, all I here is doom and gloom from friends and family -- WOW

Things are looking up

GMTM's trade for Kane AND Lehner both look good

It's easy to believe the Eichel, Kane, and Lehner stats but it still doesn't seem like this team has been playing that well. Maybe it's time for a change of outlooks.

Lehner playing back to back scares the shite out of me even though he has been dialed in lately. Apparently DD is going to ride him hard going forward. Lets hope he keeps his cool in all situations today.

GO SABRES !

p.s. Two more for the Kanerator today. 

E.Kane that is.

Lehner playing back to back scares the shite out of me even though he has been dialed in lately. Apparently DD is going to ride him hard going forward. Lets hope he keeps his cool in all situations today.

GO SABRES !

p.s. Two more for the Kanerator today. 

E.Kane that is.

He also has to be worried sick about everything going on in his homeland right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.