Therrien Fired By Montreal, Replaced By Julien

WildCard

Darren Dreger‏ @DarrenDreger

Normal reaction to Therrien firing and Julien hiring. Belief was Therrien was starting to lose the room and Julien too good to pass on.

5:23 PM · Feb 14, 2017

Interesting........

Interesting only if it said "Bylsma" instead of "Therrien."

Normal reaction to Therrien firing and Julien hiring. Belief was Therrien was starting to lose the room and Julien too good to pass on.

Interesting........

Would ya look at that. It's almost like the same exact situation we have!

Unfortunately this.

So Sheldon Keefe anyone?

Who? I still like Todd Richards or Phil Housley

Interesting........

Makes sense, it's not like Bylsma was starting to lose the room.

I'm sad. But if the Habs were knocking, there was no way Julien would have picked us over them.

He's French, and how better to piss on the Bruins.

I'll be mad if Dan is fired in the summer and we get Therrien.

Neanderthal coach.

You guys realize this move pretty much guarantees the Habs will be good for awhile?

I'm sad. But if the Habs were knocking, there was no way Julien would have picked us over them.

Neanderthal coach.

You guys realize this move pretty much guarantees the Habs will be good for awhile?

They have a lot of old players. They'll be good as long as Price is good

Neanderthal coach.

I'm not so sure. Their lineup is starting to play like it did without price last year, but there's no "wait til price comes back" this season.

Their forward corps is not good. Very good top three forwards and nine third/fourth line guys.

I don't anticipate the Habs being a huge roadblock by the time we're good, whenever that is.

And yeah I'm not too interested in Therrien

Would ya look at that. It's almost like the same exact situation we have!

Who? I still like Todd Richards or Phil Housley

Keefe is cureently HC of the Toronto Marlies. I don't watch Marlies games or claim to know much about him, but I've heard he is heavily offensive-minded and his teams produce solid possession numbers. There was a little buzz for him back when the Avs fired Roy. Maybe a little more buzz out there now for Vegas. He's young- 36. Viewed as a fresh-start, out of left field type of guy that could be the next great thing or could flop due to inexperience.

I'm not so sure. Their lineup is starting to play like it did without price last year, but there's no "wait til price comes back" this season.

Their forward corps is not good. Very good top three forwards and nine third/fourth line guys.

I don't anticipate the Habs being a huge roadblock by the time we're good, whenever that is.

And yeah I'm not too interested in Therrien

Wouldn't be surprised if the make a move for Duchene, but Julien over Therrien pushed back their decline by two years

Neanderthal coach.

As long as Bergevin is there, I don't think they'll be very good. 

Keefe is cureently HC of the Toronto Marlies. I don't watch Marlies games or claim to know much about him, but I've heard he is heavily offensive-minded and his teams produce solid possession numbers. There was a little buzz for him back when the Avs fired Roy. Maybe a little more buzz out there now for Vegas. He's young- 36. Viewed as a fresh-start, out of left field type of guy that could be the next great thing or could flop due to inexperience.

Sign me up. I'll take him, Richards, or Housley

Btw, JJ, I know nothing of Gallant; style of play, etc. Care to inform us?

Wouldn't be surprised if the make a move for Duchene, but Julien over Therrien pushed back their decline by two years

Them or Carolina are the front runners for Duchene

Reading the rest of Friedmann's thoughts, you're right about the Duchene potential. I'd rather he go to Carolina (like, out of the division) even though I'm not a huge fan of his. The type of guy that would kill us regularly. And you're probably right about Julien extending their shelf life like he has Boston's, too. 

Keefe is the type of guy you could easily sell me on. Definitely not a retread, young with offensive upside much like our core. Taking a quick peak at his coaching career, from the CCHL to OHL to AHL, the guy wins everywhere he goes. Again, I don't have a bigger picture as to why. Might be fun to explore what players he coached, the stats they put up, what style they play now, etc. That's a project for another night.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. 

But he's a popular coach with the players, doesn't make an example out of them but he holds them accountable. He plays to his player's strengths, doesn't try to force a "system". He likes to stick with pairs and let them gel, usually he'll try to keep entire lines together, but he likes pairs. He won't mix them up after a bad period. He seemed to warm up to a small level of analytics. He likes to have some level of physicality no matter how fast the team is. He won't take any crap from the officials, he'll stick up for his players and get vocal when they need a boost. 

He started the year off with some difficulty, four new defensemen and the loss of Huberdeau off the bat. He wasn't happy with what was going on within the organization, but in his defense, Viola made them a laughing stock. 

He's not the kind of guy to lose a team. 

So this time next year we will be sitting here again wondering why DD is still coach.

Unless the STH come through.

STH?

Here's the thing though: if Murray repairs the defense, and we're healthy, I bet we make the playoffs. Then, he's safe. DD is a coach capable of making the playoffs, but that's about it. So, if we do make the playoffs next year, he'll be here for the remainder of his contract. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.