GDT: Buffalo at Toronto 7:00p ET 02/11/2017

pi2000

Kadri is kind of a poor man's Marchand.  Very hate-able.  (Although to be fair I thought his hit on Gio was clean...)

What I really liked about that play was the instant retribution from Foligno.  While I agree that there shouldn't be retribution on every clean hit, I like Foligno's reaction in the heat of the moment.

As nice as tonight's win was, to me, it was more of the same. It felt like a nice win because it felt like we were these massive underdogs who went to Toronto and beat the giant Leafs 3-1. But other then that, i just don't think theres much to be excited about.

Lehner was fantastic as was the defense, in particular Jake McCabe as many have mentioned above. Must give credit to Kane and Samson for finishing their scoring chances of course as well. Besides the hustle plays and the finishes, tonight was nothing more then any game they have played this past week vs NJ, SJ or the Ducks. Toronto was all over us, they were quicker, they were stronger, we had issues getting into their zone, and when we did we were one n done and going back the other way. I think Sabres fans feel very thrilled to have won, but i think Leafs fans think the better team didn't win.

Leafs out corsi'd the Sabres by almost 40. I don't think i've seen it that lopsided ever.

This game just had that feeling, if the Leafs had gotten a second goal at any time with time remaining on the clock, they were going to come right down and tie it up.

Nice road victory for the Sabres, but as far as increasing our hopes of making the playoffs, this game did nothing for me. We are who we are, and thats not much more then a 82-84pt

Well said. I feel exactly the same way. we'll see how they play today against crappy Vancouver. This team needs to string a few together to get back in the hunt and I feel another let down coming on. They are who they are under the current coach. It is frustrating because I think this group isn't that far off from being a contender. The fact we get glimpses of it adds to the frustration. Lehner is a goalie I am comfortable with. I hope our coaches continue to work with him on rebound control but he has been very solid for us in spite of the shootouts. In fact has kept us in games we should have been blown out in even though we lose. He makes us look better then we are at times. That being said this team did not play an entire 60 minute game once  again and the Leafs kept coming for the final 2 periods but some lucky bounces our way and Lehner got us the 2 points. Play this way vs. Chicago, Montreal, Pittsburgh and we're eating our lunch. We need to exert way more pressure in the offensive zone. Also stop with the hanging back once we build a lead, that will never win us a Cup because we aren't good enough at it.

Bylsma talking Kane from Buffalo News today.....

“The third one was one I really liked,” Bylsma said. “It’s not an area he gets in and sits in and is a recipient of a pass too often. That’s a sign of him adding another level to his game there, not just the speed and shooting the puck down the wing, but finding that soft area there. Jack makes a great play, and he makes no mistake with it.”

My question is why? Why would he not go to those areas where a guy with his shot can and should be able to score? I mentioned it upthread but that is where he needs to go every shift and Jack and Sam need to feed him the puck!

I have already forgotten which thread we discussed it in, but I was watching Eichel's postgame comments last night. He seemed to answer every question after it was asked, but each time Hamilton asked a question Jack was going "yeah yeah, yeah" almost sounding like he was trying to cut him off, keep him from finishing the question. Then he didn't do that for the guy asking right after Hamilton. Maybe Hamilton feels like that is disrespectful or a shot at him or something. Maybe his bizarre Reinhart comments backed up with no real evidence are part of the reason why Jack and others don't respect him or want to answer his questions, if that is indeed a thing.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/jack-eichel-postgame-21117/t-277437090/c-49342103

Here's the video. It doesn't look as blatant a second time, but the body language is a bit weird for Hamilton. It's probably nothing, but interesting to think about still

Edited by Randall Flagg

I have already forgotten which thread we discussed it in, but I was watching Eichel's postgame comments last night. He seemed to answer every question after it was asked, but each time Hamilton asked a question Jack was going "yeah yeah, yeah" almost sounding like he was trying to cut him off, keep him from finishing the question. Then he didn't do that for the guy asking right after Hamilton. Maybe Hamilton feels like that is disrespectful or a shot at him or something. Maybe his bizarre Reinhart comments backed up with no real evidence are part of the reason why Jack and others don't respect him or want to answer his questions, if that is indeed a thing.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/jack-eichel-postgame-21117/t-277437090/c-49342103

Here's the video. It doesn't look as blatant a second time, but the body language is a bit weird for Hamilton. It's probably nothing, but interesting to think about still

Hamilton sounds like a smug prick on WGR. So unimpressed with everything.

Hamilton has been doing this a long time, probably feels like he should be buddy buddy with everyone, but it almost sounds like he is burned out by this gig and comes across as rude. Met him 10 years ago after a Sabres Ranger game at MSG and he was a lot more enthusiastic. Too bad...

Hamilton sounds like a smug prick on WGR. So unimpressed with everything.

He works for the Sabres right? His questions (if you can call them that) aren't really questions at all, he just force feeds them talking points most of which are just pointing out the obvious. And often he just keeps talking without giving the player a chance to reapond.

He works for the Sabres right? His questions (if you can call them that) aren't really questions at all, he just force feeds them talking points most of which are just pointing out the obvious. And often he just keeps talking without giving the player a chance to reapond.

Pretty sure Hamilton does not work for the Sabres.

He does work for a radio station that depends on the Sabres for its livelihood.

Duff works for the Sabres but he also has more insightful questions and carries himself with a demeanour much more reflective of a professional journalist.

Bylsma talking Kane from Buffalo News today.....

“The third one was one I really liked,” Bylsma said. “It’s not an area he gets in and sits in and is a recipient of a pass too often. That’s a sign of him adding another level to his game there, not just the speed and shooting the puck down the wing, but finding that soft area there. Jack makes a great play, and he makes no mistake with it.”

My question is why? Why would he not go to those areas where a guy with his shot can and should be able to score? I mentioned it upthread but that is where he needs to go every shift and Jack and Sam need to feed him the puck!

I too found that remark by DDB interesting. 

I suppose one reason we haven't seen much of it is that Kaner's centers have usually been Larsson and Zemgus -- who aren't the playmakers that Eichel and Reino are.

I watched it and I agree -- he is definitely cutting Hammy off in a way that he didn't do to the other guy.  Interesting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.