GDT: Buffalo at Toronto 7:00p ET 02/11/2017

pi2000

I really hope this is sarcasm cuz this just doesn't happen, ever.

Every team in the league does it. Our version involves pulling a forward out, going 1-2-2. 

I didn't see it that period, the penalties are what killed our momentum, we were great until the second one.

Our period from hell is over, now go get two more boys.

Also, would it be foolish of me to expect a couple calls to even up the penalties? Yeah? Okay. Still hopeful.

Huh? Pretty sure this happens all the time. Teams going into a defensive shell with a multi-goal lead is as inevitable as death and taxes.

No. It doesn't. It's a really cute narrative to spin, but teams don't go into a defensive shell when they are up like that.

They may ease up because they think they have this, but no way do they chose to go into a defensive shell to just weather the storm because they are up.

There is a difference.

No. It doesn't. It's a really cute narrative to spin, but teams don't go into a defensive shell when they are up like that.

They may ease up because they think they have this, but no way do they chose to go into a defensive shell to just weather the storm because they are up.

There is a difference.

They do pull forecheckers, and make the decision to dump & change when they would have earlier attacked. I'm positive it happens. It's a form of energy preservation. I've heard random players and coaches talk about it before. I remember a documentary specifically involving Nick Lidstrom, with Babcock as coach, it was cataloging a 24 hour stretch for him, and when they went up by a few goals he talked about how the strategy shifted to just getting out of the game.

It obviously makes sense to a degree, but teams that have seen literally 50% of their 2 goal leads on the season vanish probably are doing it too much.

Again, I didn't see it happening in Toronto tonight. Just got caught out there too long after momentum shifted because of penalties, which I'd like to see us get back since the NHL is into that sort of thing.

They do pull forecheckers, and make the decision to dump & change when they would have earlier attacked. I'm positive it happens. It's a form of energy preservation. I've heard random players and coaches talk about it before. I remember a documentary specifically involving Nick Lidstrom, with Babcock as coach, it was cataloging a 24 hour stretch for him, and when they went up by a few goals he talked about how the strategy shifted to just getting out of the game.

It obviously makes sense to a degree, but teams that have seen literally 50% of their 2 goal leads on the season vanish probably are doing it too much.

Again, I didn't see it happening in Toronto tonight. Just got caught out there too long after momentum shifted because of penalties, which I'd like to see us get back since the NHL is into that sort of thing.

This I get. What I thought people were saying was DDB tells his players to stop trying because they are winning by too much.

Keep on the forechecking pressure. Let's force a couple turnovers against a young team and get two more this period!

In standings news, Bjugstad and Huberdeau each got their second of the season. I didn't realize Bjugstad has played 25 games already to get to his second. The Panthers are now primed to push for Toronto's spot, too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.