Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Well, 2 questionable TD calls on Philly TDs went against the Pats in the SB.

How does that fit with the "the NFL wants the Pats to win" conspiracy theory?

I dislike the Patriots, but still "call 'em like I see 'em".... I thought the announcers were way off base in calling those non-catches. The first was closer IMHO. But, it was called a TD and I didn't see anything conclusive that showed he bobbled it (i.e., the ball was never not touching him). The second was clearly a TD and Collinsworth was way off base. Ertz caught it and took 3 steps or so then dove to the end zone. The ball popped out when he hit the ground. That's a catch. Not really controversial IMHO. Just poor color commentary.

The Ertz touchdown wasn't even questionable. The guy took 3 steps after he secured the ball and then he dove.

As for the rest, just look at the flags that were thrown. New England had one penalty for 5 yards and I think Philly had like 6 called against them.

There were more than a few times the Massholes defenders got there early to break up a pass where I'd bet my bottom dollar that it would have been a flag if the roles had been reversed.

Two? The Ertz TD was in no way, shape, or form, questionable.

That review symbolized exactly how ridiculous the catch thing has gotten. He literally did everything that a TD catch calls for and they still found a way to make it questionable. Go rewrite your rules NFL.

That's great. I still hold out hope that RJ will get a chance to let us all know that the Sabres have (finally) won the Stanley Cup.

My hatred of Philly does not extend past the Flyers. So, I am happy for the Eagles, their fans and the city.

I don't dislike the Patriots, or Brady, but I really don't like when one team dominates in any sport for what seems like forever.

When the antics of an NFL fanbase make the news here, I really can't say I have much respect for them.

Only reason its nice for them to win is because of foles.   Calling them hooligans is not even the right description.

Coworker is currently complaining that it was no way a catch. Also said she didn't want the Eagles to win because the Pats were better, and doesn't like giving teams 'participation trophies just because they've never won'

Speechless

She sure seems bright.

When the antics of an NFL fanbase make the news here, I really can't say I have much respect for them.

Only reason its nice for them to win is because of foles.   Calling them hooligans is not even the right description.

Of course I do not count any hooligans in my positive comment about being happy for the fans.

Is there mischief happening?  I have only seen one report by Liger here and it has not been substantiated.  I have not noticed any news concerning bad behaviour by fans in Philly.

Of course I do not count any hooligans in my positive comment about being happy for the fans.

Is there mischief happening?  I have only seen one report by Liger here and it has not been substantiated.  I have not noticed any news concerning bad behaviour by fans in Philly.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/04/us/philadelphia-after-super-bowl-win/index.html

OK, there are a few idiots.  Generally, it looks quite civil.  I could not help notice that more people were arrested for being idiots at U Mass.  Over doing the celebration of their team's big loss, I guess.

+++++

DAMN PHONE!!

Edited by Sabersfläkt i NS

Simply this - everyone who believes the Pats are beneficiaries thinks it happens every game without fail, all intentionally, mandated by Goodell, and that's why they go 19-0 every year, and there's not one person that falls between you and this extreme. :) 

OK, there are a few idiots.  Generally, it looks quite civil.  I could not help notice that more people were arrested for being idiots at U Mass.  Over doing the celebration of their team's big loss, I guess.

+++++

DAMN PHONE!!

Lots of videos this afternoon (from last night) of everything from tearing down light poles to flipping cars/SUVs, there was a destruction/looting of a Wawa, too. Saw all these videos plus one of Eagles fans daring another Eagle fan to eat horse sh*t off the street. Yeah, didn't watch all of that one. 

Buuut I also saw several of the cops celebrating and people being just happy/law abiding. Heard everything's calm today.

3 players say they will be missing the visit to the White House for the Superbowl win. 

I'm honestly surprised it's not more. 

That was a genuinely enjoyable game, though. Glad I got a chance to watch. Got my David Harbour fix from the ads, made fun of the meh halftime show, will never get over that trick play by the Eagles. 

Edited by ABBA_älskare_69

Yeah - you're undone here by calling the Ertz TD questionable.

Two? The Ertz TD was in no way, shape, or form, questionable. 

Right.

I was poised to RAGE if that thing had been called back. So dumb.

I think the only person on the planet who thought that the Ertz TD was controversial was Cris Collinsworth.

And it's a testament to how often they get the benefit of those calls to even think that wasn't a touchdown.

Collinsworth should have been launched into the sun at that precise moment.

In related news, my beloved Liverpool played at home this Sunday against Tottenham. I tuned in for the last 20 minutes - and what a 20 minutes it was. The upshot, insofar as this conversation goes, is that Liverpool, the home team with a very noisy home crowd, suffered from three brutal calls/non-calls from a specific assistant referee (linesman) -- all of which occurred in a ~10-minute span. Apparently, the home crowd influence (from which the Patriots may often benefit) did not reach this particular official.

The Ertz touchdown wasn't even questionable. The guy took 3 steps after he secured the ball and then he dove.

As for the rest, just look at the flags that were thrown. New England had one penalty for 5 yards and I think Philly had like 6 called against them.

There were more than a few times the Massholes defenders got there early to break up a pass where I'd bet my bottom dollar that it would have been a flag if the roles had been reversed.

The officials for the Pats narrative can die now, no? The first disputed TD was certainly questionable, if there was any real sort of conscious bias, that would have been called back. The Ertz one was called and reviewed correctly. It was a pretty well officiated game overall, pretty consistent.

It’s completely logical that a good team would be a disciplined team, I don’t give a damn if the Eagles had a few more penalties called against them. Good officiating, good game (well, entertaining - the complete lack of D has the league resembling Arena Football moreso than previous NFL iterations), and the better TEAM won.

The officials for the Pats narrative can die now, no? The first disputed TD was certainly questionable, if there was any real sort of conscious bias, that would have been called back. The Ertz one was called and reviewed correctly. It was a pretty well officiated game overall, pretty consistent.

It’s completely logical that a good team would be a disciplined team, I don’t give a damn if the Eagles had a few more penalties called against them. Good officiating, good game (well, entertaining - the complete lack of D has the league resembling Arena Football moreso than previous NFL iterations), and the better TEAM won.

It can die if the logic is that the pats are to be 19-0 with a SB win every season per NFL mandate, which nobody has ever said or come close to implying, sure.

Again, reviewing the most obvious TD in the world and calling it a TD, and then Riveron making a call he hadn't been making earlier after Goodell basically publicly said "knock it off", doesn't take away the 15 yard personal foul on 3rd and 18 with 50 seconds left because Hughes tapped his teammate's helmet after sacking Brady, or any of the other thousand noted eyebrow raising calls that have neutral commentators point it out in disgust despite risking real career ramifications with their networks. 

I was at least intrigued by the thought of replacing Gaines with Butler, but he sounds like a problem-pot-head - missed meetings and was caught smoking during team inspections during SB week. 

I'm well-documented as not caring about people smoking weed as long as it doesn't affect their work, but like M. Dareus, there's no way we need that kind of distraction, and no way McDermott is interested in it in particular. 

It can die if the logic is that the pats are to be 19-0 with a SB win every season per NFL mandate, which nobody has ever said or come close to implying, sure.

Again, reviewing the most obvious TD in the world and calling it a TD, and then Riveron making a call he hadn't been making earlier after Goodell basically publicly said "knock it off", doesn't take away the 15 yard personal foul on 3rd and 18 with 50 seconds left because Hughes tapped his teammate's helmet after sacking Brady, or any of the other thousand noted eyebrow raising calls that have neutral commentators point it out in disgust despite risking real career ramifications with their networks.

So, I guess that’s a no? People are seeing what they want to see.

It’s pretty ridiculous.

By the same logic that control was adjudged to have taken place on the Clement catch, I.e. the ball was pinned to his person if not in the usual controlled position, the Lewis “fumble” wasn’t one, against Jacksonville. The most contentious play this postseason for those purporting a supposed bias in favour of the Pats.

But that call went against them too. It’s all a load of waffle.

The Patriots aren’t the league’s most hated team because they get biased officiating. The get biased officiating, in the eyes of “neutral” observers, because they are the most hated team.

They are the most hated team, because they are the best. It’s jealousy. It’s haterade.

You can be comfortable using a counterexample to disprove something that has never been remotely closed to being stated as universal, and completely ignore fundamental logical principles, sure.

Spin it any way you want, it doesn’t change the fact that you are considerably off base.

Edited by Thorny

The Patriots aren’t the league’s most hated team because they get biased officiating. The get biased officiating, in the eyes of “neutral” observers, because they are the most hated team.

They are the most hated team, because they are the best. It’s jealousy. It’s haterade.

Spin it any way you want, it doesn’t change the fact that you are considerably off base.

You made a basic misrepresentation and then "disproved" it cuz Ertz. 

If you truly honestly think that I and any poster on here believes the patriots will get every single call and win every single game, I question if you've ever read a football opinion on this website. Because that is the only way your "disproof via counter-example" holds any water. I'm not spinning jack , you are.

You made a basic misrepresentation and then "disproved" it cuz Ertz.

If you truly honestly think that I and any poster on here believes the patriots will get every single call and win every single game, I question if you've ever read a football opinion on this website. Because that is the only way your "disproof via counter-example" holds any water. I'm not spinning jack ######, you are.

My viewpoint has nothing to do with Ertz. The examples I used were the Clement ruling, juxtaposed with the Lewis ruling v. Jacksonville, as well.

As to the bolded, you may question my doings on the website in general, I’ll just question you on your reading comprehension of my viewpoints in this thread, as I never said anything of the sort.

Edited by Thorny

None of this changes the fact that using the sideline as a DB and covering so tight that they are forced to run out is legal, and in that case was the single best pass-coverage instance I've seen in the NFL this year, from an all-pro, unless it's on a TB12 2 minute drive, then it's a 47 yard spot foul, even when the contact was initiated by a WR. Fast forward to 3rd and 5 and a Db frantically holding the Jags' WR as they are about to get the first down into pats territory at the end of the game and seal it? Clean as a whistle. 

I'm not jealous of anything. Lots of teams in sports have had GOAT players. I love awesome players. I also separate that from the fact that watching pats games for 15 years and comparing them to any other team in that span, it's the most obvious thing in the world that they get a different rule book. And a free 1st down on an incomplete pass on 4th down late in a crucial division game, with the phrase "just give it to them", sparking a protest that let the pats get their 2 pt conversion against no defense because the team had moved to the locker room. 

My viewpoint has nothing to do with Ertz. The examples I used were the Clement ruling, juxtaposed with the Lewis ruling v. Jacksonville, as well.

As to the bolded, you may question my doings on the website in general, I’ll just question you on your reading comprehension of my viewpoints in this thread, as I never said anything of the sort.

What I'm saying is that your initial post was aimed as a "disproof", when in logic in general a counter-example disproof only works if the claim is "for every". But nobody has said "For every patriots game, they will get the calls and the win". So no, how on earth do you expect anything last night to change people's minds, unless you have a fundamentally flawed misunderstanding of their claims, as I just outlined.

If it helps, I believe they're both the GOAT regardless of all of this. But it exists, from intentional grounding to pushoffs and picks. I dont' complain when Belichick exploits loopholes and has wonky "legal" formations. That is legit and awesome. But Gronk-pushes and Edelman picks and everything else I don't feel inclined to list, are just plain against the rules, unless you're the team that is so prepared that you couldn't possibly not know the rules. 

None of this changes the fact that using the sideline as a DB and covering so tight that they are forced to run out is legal, and in that case was the single best pass-coverage instance I've seen in the NFL this year, from an all-pro, unless it's on a TB12 2 minute drive, then it's a 47 yard spot foul, even when the contact was initiated by a WR. Fast forward to 3rd and 5 and a Db frantically holding the Jags' WR as they are about to get the first down into pats territory at the end of the game and seal it? Clean as a whistle.

I'm not jealous of anything. Lots of teams in sports have had GOAT players. I ###### love awesome players. I also separate that from the fact that watching pats games for 15 years and comparing them to any other team in that span, it's the most obvious thing in the world that they get a different rule book. And a free 1st down on an incomplete pass on 4th down late in a crucial division game, with the phrase "just give it to them", sparking a protest that let the pats get their 2 pt conversion against no defense because the team had moved to the locker room.

What I'm saying is that your initial post was aimed as a "disproof", when in logic in general a counter-example disproof only works if the claim is "for every". But nobody has said "For every patriots game, they will get the calls and the win". So no, how on earth do you expect anything last night to change people's minds, unless you have a fundamentally flawed misunderstanding of their claims, as I just outlined.

But you are doing the exact thing you were accusing me of, but flip-flopped. The Pats getting bogus calls in their favour being a solid counterpoint to my argument only makes sense if you think I think every single call against the Pats has been properly officiated. Hell no. The officialls blow calls, with all sorts of different teams involved, all the time. Huge, egregious errors.

I’ll contend that the Patriots are so often in the spotlight, the controversial calls regarding them get way more play than other teams.

I’m open to, at most, admitting that there could potentially be a subconscious, very occasional “leaning” towards the Pats in rare situations, but it’s impossible to quantify, beyond the idea that, I believe that principle to hold across sports worldwide: sometimes the good teams “get the calls”. For better or worse, the greats always earn that treatment.

I call baloney on any conscious favouring of the Patriots.

The whole media circus around the Pats is remarkable. They’ve been cast as the villain, and it sells. How often have you heard Tom Brady and cheating mentioned in the same sentence, because of Deflategate? Yet Aaron Rodgers freely admitted to overinflating footballs. Equally against the rules.

Where’s Inflategate?

Edited by Thorny