Deadline Nearly Here! What is GMTM going to do?

GASabresIUFAN

so 6pts out of the playoffs with 2.5 months to play, are we giving up on that? how many more seasons of this? why not be buyers and try to make a push? what's trading your second leading scorer for a prospect D going to do for you next season? nothing. 

as sabres fans, you're always looking at success two years down the road. it's an insane mindset that never comes to fruition. 

Don't lose sight of the goal of this franchise..  It's not to make the playoffs... it's to build a perennial Cup contender.    You don't do that by trading away prospects to hopefully slide into 8th place and get pounded by the Capitals in the first round.    

Would it be nice to get in the playoffs this season?   Sure it would, but don't mortgage the future for some temporary success. 

Don't lose sight of the goal of this franchise..  It's not to make the playoffs... it's to build a perennial Cup contender.    You don't do that by trading away prospects to hopefully slide into 8th place and get pounded by the Capitals in the first round.   

On the other hand, if the team is so poorly coached that they don't make the playoffs despite having enough talent, then the talent will bolt at first opportunity, and then what good was the tank?

On the other hand, if the team is so poorly coached that they don't make the playoffs despite having enough talent, then the talent will bolt at first opportunity, and then what good was the tank?

We're nowhere near that point.   Talent wise this is a playoff bubble team... and guess what... they're a playoff bubble team.   

I'll become concerned if you the players start talking about needing to do something differently... but all you hear them talk about is putting together a full game... playing the system for 60 minutes, which is not a slight on the coach.   

This recent "Sam and Jack are going to bolt" manifestation of Because Buffalo might be my favourite one yet.

Does this extend beyond the sports teams?

It's never going to happen. It's almost impossible for franchise players to leave the teams they're drafted

We have Jack&Sam's rights for six or seven more years, correct?

If the franchise is in a state where they aren't signing up to spend the rest of their careers here and are looking to bolt once those six or seven years go by, chances are they will not have become the solution we need them to be, and we'll be looking in a different direction for the fix. 

For those who want Julien over DD remember that only Scotty Bowman has won a Cup with more then one franchise since expansion in 1967.  

Also DD can't be blamed for the 10000 games lost, especially on D, to injury this season.  If you look at the Kane thread you'll see many complimenting his strategy of spreading the offense out by placing Kane on the 3rd line

For those who want Julien over DD remember that only Scotty Bowman has won a Cup with more then one franchise since expansion in 1967.

Also DD can't be blamed for the 10000 games lost, especially on D, to injury this season. If you look at the Kane thread you'll see many complimenting his strategy of spreading the offense out by placing Kane on the 3rd line

I fail to see how Bowman is relevant at all

I fail to see how Bowman is relevant at all

Pretty sure he's trying to say that just like Bylsma isn't going to win a SC here, neither will Julien.

Of, course following that logic to its conclusion says no team should ever hire a SC winning coach other than Bowman. Babcock should not have been chased.

Pretty sure he's trying to say that just like Bylsma isn't going to win a SC here, neither will Julien.

Of, course following that logic to its conclusion says no team should ever hire a SC winning coach other than Bowman. Babcock should not have been chased.

Exactly. I mean, I get what he's saying, but I don't buy it at all. It makes no sense IMO

It doesn't matter whether it makes sense to you or not, It's just a historical fact.  At some point someone will break through and win a Cup with a second franchise, but I don't think it will be DD or Julien, at least not any time soon.  I think the reason for the fact, is that coaches and their styles don't always translate from era to era.  The process usually goes, young coach gets hired by a bad club and makes the team better but not enough, coach gets fired finds a better situation and wins in his 2nd or 3rd team.  

For example:

Quenneville had decent stints in Col and Stl before going to Chicago.

Babcock had a short but effective run in Ana before Det

Sutter did had good stints in Chi, SJ and Cgy before getting it right LA twice.

Hitch got it right in his first job and has failed to win again despite improving every club he coached since.

Julien isn't in a different era, neither is Byslma or Babcock. Pretry sure Bowman coaches in different eras

It doesn't matter whether it makes sense to you or not, It's just a historical fact. At some point someone will break through and win a Cup with a second franchise, but I don't think it will be DD or Julien, at least not any time soon. I think the reason for the fact, is that coaches and their styles don't always translate from era to era. The process usually goes, young coach gets hired by a bad club and makes the team better but not enough, coach gets fired finds a better situation and wins in his 2nd or 3rd team.

For example:

Quenneville had decent stints in Col and Stl before going to Chicago.

Babcock had a short but effective run in Ana before Det

Sutter did had good stints in Chi, SJ and Cgy before getting it right LA twice.

Hitch got it right in his first job and has failed to win again despite improving every club he coached since.

This just tells me rookie coaches don't often succeed because they don't have enough experience yet. Edited by WildCard

Sell. He's going to sell.

But who?

That is the question.

Franson?

Kulikov?

Gionta?

And what of contracts with term, even 1 year?

Moulson?

Ennis?

Gorges?

Bogosian?

And what of borderline RFA's?

Foligno?

Girgensons?

There is a great deal of dead weight on this team to be honest. If dead line deals can give equal talent potential at a different position of need, you take it.

If a deal presents itself to give up a known talent level to fill depth potential talent, you take it.

It may not appear like it, but this squad is a disaster outside of a handful of core players. In order to stay the course and maintain the objective of being a perennial cup contender changes must be made. This dead line may afford a couple of those changes without reversing what gains have been made.

I'm not too happy with DDB either, but to be fair, I don't think Pittsburgh lost any good players due to them not liking his system.

That's because Pittsburgh didn't wait to can DDB's ass before the rebellion started! Not sure what we're waiting for? Expect Toronto to feed it to us on Saturday night as well. This club is pathetic. There will be no miracle turn around under this coach next season with a completely healthy roster. What we're seeing is what we get.

Last year McGinn should have brought a second, but the mkt was really tight. 

With expansion but with tons of teams still in contention, it's going to be very interesting to see what kind of value good players bring.

Franson and Kulikov are clearly on the market, but for reason's I'll explain in the expansion thread, I now think Kane is off the market until the summer.  The 2 D are the only guys I see being traded at the deadline right now.  

Julien isn't in a different way, neither is Byslma or Babcock. Pretry sure Bowman coaches in different eras

This just tells me rookie coaches don't often success because they don't have enough experience yet.

So you're saying Lindy Ruff is JUSTTTT about to turn the corner?

http://deadspin.com/stars-score-own-goal-on-delayed-penalty-because-its-be-1792213744

so 6pts out of the playoffs with 2.5 months to play, are we giving up on that? how many more seasons of this? why not be buyers and try to make a push? what's trading your second leading scorer for a prospect D going to do for you next season? nothing. 

as sabres fans, you're always looking at success two years down the road. it's an insane mindset that never comes to fruition. 

It sounds closer than it is. I don't have the numbers handy, but the Sabres are at the point where they have to start winning something like 2 of every 3 games for the rest of the season to get to the mid-90s in points, where 8th usually falls. I have no reason to believe they're going to start winning at that pace for 2 months. I'm pretty sure they're not even going to go out and win at that pace for the next 2 weeks.

I'm not saying fire sale, but if a good deal comes along to get a solid prospect for one of our older players, I'd be listening.