Deadline Nearly Here! What is GMTM going to do?

GASabresIUFAN

The Sabres are 21-21-10 for 52 pts in 52 games and are currently 15th in the East and 27th place in the NHL. They are 6 pts behind Toronto for 3rd in the Atlantic (Tor has 1 game in hand). They are 7 pts behind Philly for the final wild card (with 2 games in hand).

Contracts:

UFAs

G- Nilsson

D - Kulikov, Franson and Fedun

F - Gionta (and McCormick), Grant & COR

RFAs

G - Lehner, Ullmark

F - Foligno, Larsson, Girgensons

UFA's next year - Gorges, Kane, Falk and Delo

RFA's next year - Eichel, Reinhart, Carrier, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching & Nelson

Cap Situation: (Capfriendly.com)

Projected cap space: 1.689

Deadline cap space: 7.602

FYI: Bettman said recently that the cap looks to be flat next season, but could rise only to $75 mill in best case scenario.

On paper it seems we still have a chance to make the playoffs. However to get to 92 points with 30 games left would mean we'd have to go 18-8-4. That is nearly an impossible hill for this team to climb. This means we are going to be sellers at the deadline.

Draft pick situation

We have an extra 2nd (Minn) and 3rd (Wash) this season (2017), but no 5th.

We have all of our picks for 2018, but nothing extra.

Needs?

1) Scoring: We have the 2nd worst offense in the East.

2) Defense: Is it injuries or a lack of talent in slots 3-7 behind Risto and McCabe. I'm going with a lack of talent.

3) PK - Ours in the 2nd worst in the NHL at a terrible 73.8%

4) 4th line center - Grant and COR have both been waived and sent down. Larsson our for the year. That leaves...... a huge hole in the lineup.

5) Lack of near NHL ready D prospects. Guhle is our best D prospect and he is in Jrs and may or not be ready for full time NHL duty.

6) A sniper to play on the top 2 lines now or in the very near future

So who?

Franson should draw some interest. Kulikov might also if he can get healthy,

Gionta (if he is interested in being traded) would really help a playoff team and should garner some interest.

Kane? He is probably our most value trade-able asset. Is he part of the core and future or is he an asset to trade to fix the D? Might be easier to move in the off-season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The Sabres are 21-21-10 for 52 pts in 52 games and are currently 15th in the East and 27th place in the NHL.  They are 6 pts behind Toronto for 3rd in the Atlantic (Tor has 1 game in hand). They are 7 pts behind Philly for the final wild card (with 2 games in hand).  

Contracts:

UFAs 

G- Nilsson

D - Kulikov, Franson and Fedun

F - Gionta (and McCormick), Grant & COR

RFAs

G - Lehner, Ullmark

F - Foligno, Larsson, Girgensons

UFA's next year - Gorges, Kane, Falk and Delo

RFA's next year - Eichel, Reinhart, Carrier, Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching & Nelson

Cap Situation: (Capfriendly.com)

Projected cap space: 1.689

Deadline cap space: 7.602

FYI: Bettman said recently that the cap looks to be flat next season, but could rise only to $75 mill in best case scenario.  

On paper it seems we still have a chance to make the playoffs.  However to get to 92 points with 30 games left would mean we'd have to go 18-8-4.  That is nearly an impossible hill for this team to climb.  This means we are going to be sellers at the deadline.  

Draft pick situation

We have an extra 2nd (Minn) and 3rd (Wash) this season (2017), but no 5th.

We have all of our picks for 2018, but nothing extra.

Needs?

1) Scoring:  We have the 2nd worst offense in the East.

2) Defense:  Is it injuries or a lack of talent in slots 3-7 behind Risto and McCabe.  I'm going with a lack of talent.

3) PK - Ours in the 2nd worst in the NHL at a terrible 73.8%

4) 4th line center - Grant and COR have both been waived and sent down.  Larsson our for the year.  That leaves...... a huge hole in the lineup.

5) Lack of near NHL ready D prospects.  Guhle is our best D prospect and he is in Jrs and may or not be ready for full time NHL duty.  

6) A sniper to play on the top 2 lines now or in the very near future

So who?

Franson should draw some interest.  Kulikov might also if he can get healthy,

Gionta (if he is interested in being traded) would really help a playoff team and should garner some interest.

Kane?  He is probably our most value trade-able asset.  Is he part of the core and future or is he an asset to trade to fix the D? Might be easier to move in the off-season.

At the top of GMTM's list: Fire the current coach. Enough is enough. I don't care who they get or deal (player wise) None of it will matter under this coach. Tiring.

At the top of GMTM's list: Fire the current coach. Enough is enough. I don't care who they get or deal (player wise) None of it will matter under this coach. Tiring.

Looking at the RFA list, I realize that next season is critical.  Both Samson and Jack could leave if they don't see adequate progress on the team.  I don't want to wait until the off season to change coaches.  The Sabres have literally too much to lose.

Looking at the RFA list, I realize that next season is critical.  Both Samson and Jack could leave if they don't see adequate progress on the team.  I don't want to wait until the off season to change coaches.  The Sabres have literally too much to lose.

Time is definitely of the essence. This team doesn't have time to dick around any longer. I don't see a whole lot roster wise happening until the off-season, but bringing in a new coach needs to be done sooner rather than later. Like after the next four games.

Interesting Metro primer! Is there an Atlantic one?

No deadline discussion would be complete without an acknowledgment of our prospect pipeline.

1) Nylander LW/C - eta 2nd half of 2017-18 or start of 2018-19

2) Guhle D - start of 2017-18.

3) Bailey RW/LW - currently in Buffalo as a callup. Start of 2017-18

4) Baptiste RW - Start of 2017-18 at best or first callup in 2017-18

5) Fasching RW - callup in 2017-18

6) Peterson - G - AHL next season. I figure at least 2 years in Roch.

7) Borgen - D - AHL next season. Could get a callup in 2017-18.

8) Asplund - C - depends on when he makes the move to NA. If he joins the Amerks next season, could vault up this list. 2018-19?

9) Ullmark - G - Could he get the backup slot if Nilsson traded? Likely the backup next year if not grabbed by LV in expansion.

10) Carrier - LW - currently in Buffalo and likely staying.

11) Pu - C/W - London leading scorer. Not old enough for the AHL. I figure 2019-2020.

12) Fitzgerald - D - likely an Amerk next season. 2019-2020.

13) Estephan - C - following up last year's breakout with another good campaign. AHL next year. 2019-2020.

14) Cornel - C/W - Adjusting to AHL. I expect him to blossom next year in the AHL. Callup late next year?

There's still a lot of hockey left to be played between now and the deadline.   If they go on some insane hot streak, they might stand pat at the deadline, maybe add a veteran.  

If they continue down the same path they've been on, I'd expect guys like Girgensons, Foligno, Gionta, Kulikov, Ennis, etc... to be up for grabs.

No deadline discussion would be complete without an acknowledgment of our prospect pipeline.

8) Asplund - C - depends on when he makes the move to NA. If he joins the Amerks next season, could vault up this list. 2018-19?

9) Ullmark - G - Could he get the backup slot if Nilsson traded? Likely the backup next year if not grabbed by LV in expansion.

11) Pu - C/W - London leading scorer. Not old enough for the AHL. I figure 2019-2020.

13) Estephan - C - following up last year's breakout with another good campaign. AHL next year. 2019-2020.

14) Cornel - C/W - Adjusting to AHL. I expect him to blossom next year in the AHL. Callup late next year?

Yeh my mistake... lol Edited by North Buffalo

He'll trade Gionta if Gionta wants, maybe Kulikov/Franson. That's probably it. Then he'll underwhelm in the offseason, and we'll watch a third full post-tank season with a 4th line that's so bad that they either get 4 minutes of ice time or get totally broken up and each individual player will get shuffled into shifts while we roll the top three lines. As well as a defense that has to play Falk and Bergdorfer after a few injuries, but he could totally trade for a bottom 4 d man any time he wants to, in his words.

Edited by Randall Flagg

I hope to God we can fix the 4th line from within.

I get why Bailey and Baptiste and Fasching have been mostly buried on the farm, but next year it's time.

I desperately want our UFAs parlayed into a promising young AHL d-man.

And I want to trade our first-rounder for a Fowler, or, more accurately, a player who is perceived today the way Fowler was last year.

But that trade is more likely leading up to the expansion draft.

I hope to God we can fix the 4th line from within.

I get why Bailey and Baptiste and Fasching have been mostly buried on the farm, but next year it's time.

I desperately want our UFAs parlayed into a promising young AHL d-man.

And I want to trade our first-rounder for a Fowler, or, more accurately, a player who is perceived today the way Fowler was last year.

But that trade is more likely leading up to the expansion draft.

I cant believe anyone cares about the 4th line

Does anyone know we'd expose Ullmark in expansion draft ?

Why not sign Nilsson to a 1-year extension and expose him ?

You also forgot Florentino on your list.  I'd put him around 10, ahead of Carrier.

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

If a team is constructed properly, talent will get pushed down to that line relegating any need to address it. Girgensons, Foligno, Gionta would make a heck of a 4th line.

Well it's still the same thing. You should have enough talent to have 4 lines. I don't mean specifically going and getting 4th line players

If that's not what you meant, my mistake

If a team is constructed properly, talent will get pushed down to that line relegating any need to address it. Girgensons, Foligno, Gionta would make a heck of a 4th line.

Well that was kinda my point.

I care that we still have non-NHL talent on it, and it sees ice time.

#MattEllisLives

And this. We need fourth liners who can pitch in higher up the lineup. More Carriers and less DLos

Well first and foremost, I'd like to see a big shake up in the defensive core.  With Murray already re-upping Falk for another season while at only 650K, it makes me gag.  I don't want to see anymore of Bogosian, Gorges, Falk, Fedun (While he has played admirably, it's paultry to have a 28 year old AHL lifer playing the entire season in the top 6.).  I'm ready to trade off anyone who isn't a significant contributor going forward.  This middling results starts with Bylsma and while I loathe Claude Julian, he'd be a massive upgrade.  

Does anyone know we'd expose Ullmark in expansion draft ?

Why not sign Nilsson to a 1-year extension and expose him ?

You also forgot Florentino on your list.  I'd put him around 10, ahead of Carrier.

The Sabres can only protect one goalie and that will be Lehner. Sadly Ullmark is not exempt and will be exposed regardless if we re-sign Nilsson or not.

I didn't forget Florentino. I don't think he has the upside of the others on the list, but I like his physical game and expect the Sabres to sign him this offseason along with Sean Malone, Borgen, Estephan, Petersen and maybe Fitzgerald.