The ".500" record and playoff race thread

gregkash

We've been swept by: Boston, Carolina, New Jersey, Washington

We're in the process of being swept by: Toronto, Tampa

Our record: 21-21-10

Imagine if we had just won a single game against 3 of those teams. Still played them with a losing record, but managed to get a win against three of them. That's hardly asking for a respectable showing, and yet we'd be right in the playoff race if that had happened.

Can't make the playoffs when you don't win a single game against a bunch of teams (not Wash, obviously) that are right in front of you, or just behind.

We have better rosters than 3 of those teams too. We should be splitting with them at least

New updated JSB .500 point moniker as of this morning's standings

Washington +16

Columbus   +14

Pittsburgh   +13

NY Rang.    +9

Montreal     +6

Ottawa        +2

Toronto       +1

NY Isles      -2

:cry:    :cry:   :cry:   :cry:

Flyers          -2

Florida        -3

Carolina      -4

Boston        -4

NewJersey  -5

Sabres        -6

Detroit         -6

Tampa Bay  -7

We have better rosters than 3 of those teams too. We should be splitting with them at least

We've been swept by: Boston, Carolina, New Jersey, Washington

We're in the process of being swept by: Toronto, Tampa

Our record: 21-21-10

Imagine if we had just won a single game against 3 of those teams. Still played them with a losing record, but managed to get a win against three of them. That's hardly asking for a respectable showing, and yet we'd be right in the playoff race if that had happened. 

Can't make the playoffs when you don't win a single game against a bunch of teams (not Wash, obviously) that are right in front of you, or just behind.

Thanks for tallying this up - I knew we'd been swept by several teams - but couldn't recall them all.  

The Boston one is really bad - because the losing streak extends into fall of 2015, for pity's sake!   

Thanks for tallying this up - I knew we'd been swept by several teams - but couldn't recall them all.  

The Boston one is really bad - because the losing streak extends into fall of 2015, for pity's sake!   

Boston has swept us and they've just fired their coach. Let that sink in. 

New updated JSB .500 point moniker as of this morning's standings which again means points above/below .500 per games played

Washington +21

Pittsburgh   +16

Columbus   +14

NY Rang.    +11

Montreal     +5

Ottawa        +4

NY Isles      +1

Toronto       +0

:cry:     :cry:    :cry:    :cry:

Boston        -1

Florida        -2

Flyers          -4

Carolina      -4

Sabres        -5

NewJersey  -6

Tampa Bay  -6

Detroit         -10

As a further reference there are 1912 total points generated this NHL season thru 1706 games played

So by those numbers you must gain 1.1208 points per game to stay at .500 record

Edited by jsb

Florida is red hot right now. 6-1-1 in their last 8. Beat the Ducks away tonight. I think their becoming the favorite to jump into a playoff spot of the teams that are on the outside right now.

Yeah, they just swept Cali.  And they looked in disarray when they fired Gallant.  Amazing turnaround.  

Here's a dose of reality:  there are 7 teams in the EC fighting it out for 2 playoff spots. 

It is freaking great that the Sabres are one of those teams.

But:  they have played more games than each of the other 6 teams.  And they're about to play Chicago and then take their bye week.

They could easily be 6 points out (or more) in a week.

Here's a dose of reality:  there are 7 teams in the EC fighting it out for 2 playoff spots. 

It is freaking great that the Sabres are one of those teams.

But:  they have played more games than each of the other 6 teams.  And they're about to play Chicago and then take their bye week.

They could easily be 6 points out (or more) in a week.

Tronna and NYI up right now. I believe this week will be a reality check.

Leafs & NYI won. And Boston is up in San Jose.

I don't think as many people will be as excited for a run once we faceoff in Colorado next Saturday as there was this morning, because the points will add up quickly but i also don't think the Sabres will be too far out of reach either.

It won't be easy but they will need to come out and win 5-6 games right out of the break to catch up a little bit. And we still play Toronto twice at home, Florida home and away and NYI at home. As long as their "in the hunt" there will be opportunities for them to make some power moves.

Edited by Briere48

The Sabres might be able to get back into the race if they can take 7+ points out of the first four games after the break, which is possible for sure. But I have to believe they will fall back again during the first three weeks of March: They have a home-and-home with Columbus AND a West Coast trip sandwiched in between games with Pittsburgh. 

I am going to guess they pull between 25-28 points from the last 22 games. That puts them in the 87-90 range. Maybe that's disappointing to some after 81 last season ... but given the early injuries I will be happy with that. You can say injuries are an excuse but NO ONE had this team at more than 95 points, and that was if EVERYTHING went right. Everything did not go right. Not happy with the state of the defense corps, but that is GMTM's task in the offseason.

Bottom line, I think most of us would have been OK with going from 52 and 54 points in the tank years to 88 or so before Eichel turns 21. In fact I might have said that was ambitious before last season. 

All that to say, I am trying very hard to not get caught up in playoff fever. Hopefully they drag me in.

The Sabres might be able to get back into the race if they can take 7+ points out of the first four games after the break, which is possible for sure. But I have to believe they will fall back again during the first three weeks of March: They have a home-and-home with Columbus AND a West Coast trip sandwiched in between games with Pittsburgh. 

I am going to guess they pull between 25-28 points from the last 22 games. That puts them in the 87-90 range. Maybe that's disappointing to some after 81 last season ... but given the early injuries I will be happy with that. You can say injuries are an excuse but NO ONE had this team at more than 95 points, and that was if EVERYTHING went right. Everything did not go right. Not happy with the state of the defense corps, but that is GMTM's task in the offseason.

Bottom line, I think most of us would have been OK with going from 52 and 54 points in the tank years to 88 or so before Eichel turns 21. In fact I might have said that was ambitious before last season. 

All that to say, I am trying very hard to not get caught up in playoff fever. Hopefully they drag me in.

That's not quite true. Those of us that predicted a playoff spot necessarily predicted 96.

I've been watching old Sabres playoff videos and recent highlights that make me feel happy, tonight. It's making me think about the playoffs and how much we miss them and how badly we need to see the Sabres in them. 

Looking at the schedule, we play Toronto two more times. Those are must-win. If we win those, and assume the worst that Toronto wins their game in hand, we have 22 games to out-gain them by three points. Certainly not outrageously impossible. I assume they'll stay at their current pace and so us doing that would get us into their spot.

Which would be against Ottawa.

Imagine this team going on a run and drawing Ottawa. Imagine how it would feel to get a taste again, against that team, with Lehner in net, Jack and ROR and Samson and Risto and Kane leading the team onto the ice.

Imagine the buzz in the city as 7 o clock nears, a breeze rolling in off of Lake Erie, party in the plaza in full swing, sunny and 63 degrees. The crowd. The players having that mental edge against that team. The fans having the same. 

Washington +21

Pittsburgh   +16

Columbus   +14

NY Rang.    +12

Montreal     +5

Ottawa        +5

Toronto       +1

Florida        +0

NY Isles      +0

Boston        -1

Flyers          -4

Tampa Bay  -4

Sabres         -5

NewJersey   -7

Carolina       -7

Detroit          -9

I've been watching old Sabres playoff videos and recent highlights that make me feel happy, tonight. It's making me think about the playoffs and how much we miss them and how badly we need to see the Sabres in them. 

Looking at the schedule, we play Toronto two more times. Those are must-win. If we win those, and assume the worst that Toronto wins their game in hand, we have 22 games to out-gain them by three points. Certainly not outrageously impossible. I assume they'll stay at their current pace and so us doing that would get us into their spot.

Imagine this team going on a run and drawing Ottawa. Imagine how it would feel to get a taste again, against that team, with Lehner in net, Jack and ROR and Samson and Risto and Kane leading the team onto the ice.

Imagine the buzz in the city as 7 o clock nears, a breeze rolling in off of Lake Erie, party in the plaza in full swing, sunny and 63 degrees. The crowd. The players having that mental edge against that team. The fans having the same.

I think it's amazing how much, year in and year out, Ottawa has been our bitch.

I'd like one of whatever you're having.

Washington +21

Pittsburgh   +16

Columbus   +14

NY Rang.    +12

Montreal     +5

Ottawa        +5

Toronto       +1

Florida        +0

NY Isles      +0

Boston        -1

Flyers          -4

Tampa Bay  -4

Sabres         -5

NewJersey   -7

Carolina       -7

Detroit          -9

Teams are a collective 4-12-4 in their first game coming off a bye week.   

The good news is BUF plays COL and ARI back to back, which should be an easy 4 points... but we all know they play down to their opponents when facing weaker competition, and coming off the bye these will be two tough tough games IMO.    Even if they get 4 points, I'm still not entertaining any thoughts of playoffs, it's really just a pipe dream at this point.

It's been 10 years since this happened ...

So, yeah, a playoff match up against the Sens would be awesome.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.