The ".500" record and playoff race thread

gregkash

Yeh but now the Islanders are playing well... and Boston is still hanging around... gonna be tough to jump that many teams and Tampa is still tied with Sabres.  Lot of teams still in the mix, gonna take a lot for the Sabres to make it.  I am ok as long as they keep playing well.  

The best way to think of it is still just points percentage. We're sitting at 62 points with 22 games (or 44 points) remaining. If 96 is in, we need 34 of the remaining 44 points, or 77%. Maybe we get lucky and it only takes 94...still need 73% of remaining points. In the last 10 games we're at 60%. On the season we're at 52%.

Folks, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

The best way to think of it is still just points percentage. We're sitting at 62 points with 22 games (or 44 points) remaining. If 96 is in, we need 34 of the remaining 44 points, or 77%. Maybe we get lucky and it only takes 94...still need 73% of remaining points. In the last 10 games we're at 60%. On the season we're at 52%.

As of today the 8th seed is 93 points although as with everything else, things could change. 96 points will get you a top 3 seed in the division and with Montreal falling like a rock, who knows

As of today the 8th seed is 93 points although as with everything else, things could change. 96 points will get you a top 3 seed in the division and with Montreal falling like a rock, who knows

The cutoff won't fall as they head towards the stretch. Much more likely it'll rise towrds that 96 as bubble teams turn up the intensity & treat every game as a playoff game because for them each game IS a playoff game.

We've (and Mr. we've IIRC) have had this discussion hundreds of times (maybe a slight exaggeration :P ) before.

What we are in the middle of right now is what the league wants and what keeps attendance up and money flowing for teams that it otherwise wouldn't have coming in. It's the product of the current point structure for wins/losses/OTW. It's a bit of smoke and mirrors, number magic, creative accounting. 

We have to go on a run that a Stanley Cup winning caliper team could only do just to make the playoffs. But, through the leagues season point totals we look close or doable, but the reality is a little different.

We've (and Mr. we've IIRC) have had this discussion hundreds of times (maybe a slight exaggeration :P ) before.

What we are in the middle of right now is what the league wants and what keeps attendance up and money flowing for teams that it otherwise wouldn't have coming in. It's the product of the current point structure for wins/losses/OTW. It's a bit of smoke and mirrors, number magic, creative accounting. 

We have to go on a run that a Stanley Cup winning caliper team could only do just to make the playoffs. But, through the leagues season point totals we look close or doable, but the reality is a little different.

Right. I'll eat my shoe if the Sabres get 75% of available points and make the playoffs, after barely getting .5 points per game so far this year. It ain't happening.

Another way to look at it is the Sabres have to be 6 points better than Toronto and the Islanders. Not as daunting.

Another way to look at it is the Sabres have to be 6 points better than Toronto and the Islanders. Not as daunting.

Can see the bad beer commercial you're setting yourself up for already:

The Sabres were better than the Cats & Garth's Goobers by 6 points each!

That's GREEEEAAAAT!

But they were only better than the B's by 5 & were even w/ the Phlyers.

Thaaaaaaaat's not so good.

:p

Edited by Taro T

Can see the bad beer commercial you're setting yourself up for already:

The Sabres were better than the Cats & Garth's Goobers by 6 points each!

That's GREEEEAAAAT!

But they were only better than the B's by 5 & were even w/ the Phlyers.

Thaaaaaaaat's not so good.

:P

Exactly.   It's a pipe dream folks, get over it, there will be no playoffs this season for the Sabres.... and it's not that big of a deal.  

They've grown a lot as a group and with the emergence of Kane and Lehner, and the continued development of the young guns.  I'd rather them not make it and get a lottery pick, rather than being swept by Washington in the first round.  

So you're saying there's a chance!

15-4-1. That's the record the Sabres need for the last 20 games to get to 93 points. You can talk about "just 6 points back on Toronto, and Montreal is bad", but that's not promising.  The only out is if somehow third place in the division is only something like 87 points (nearly record low, I think). Then the Sabres can go 11-6-3. That number doesn't look much better; it's still 70% points, higher than this "good" streak they've been on and better than any extended stretch this season.

15-4-1. That's the record the Sabres need for the last 20 games to get to 93 points. You can talk about "just 6 points back on Toronto, and Montreal is bad", but that's not promising. The only out is if somehow third place in the division is only something like 87 points (nearly record low, I think). Then the Sabres can go 11-6-3. That number doesn't look much better; it's still 70% points, higher than this "good" streak they've been on and better than any extended stretch this season.

I don't know why you would put yourself through the mental gymnastics of pondering such things. I'm resigned to hoping for a nice trade or two at the deadline.

I don't know why you would put yourself through the mental gymnastics of pondering such things. I'm resigned to hoping for a nice trade or two at the deadline.

It's a public service; I hope to temper people's enthusiasm so when the (nearly) inevitable happens it wasn't out of the blue. :)

Edited by MattPie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.