GDT: Buffalo at Toronto 7:30p ET 1/17/17

pi2000

Yes, but especially against Toronto. If we go 4-1-0 (making us 4-2-0 for the season) in our 5 games that's 8 points to their 2, putting us only 1 point ahead of them (assuming we match their record otherwise down the stretch). However if 1-2 of those 4 wins are OT wins, it diminishes the value greatly.

This is the anthem of Buffalo Sports.

This team is not on a playoff bubble. We are basement dwellers.

I wonder what everyone thinks is gonna happen. I am guessing the Sabres finish with 93 points. 

I *hope* that we make the playoffs.  I *think* the more likely scenario will be something like the end of 2012, where we were scrambling to get in but were eliminated with just a few games left.  Ah, those were the days...

But what have they shown you this year to make you think this is anything more than a pipe dream?

A streaky year.  If they can limit the losing streaks they might just do it.

Besides, make it to the playoffs or not, I'm going to root for them to win.  They're *my* team.

There is no way this team makes the playoffs with the current defensive core. However, if you. Want to compare the Leafs vs Sabres a few things stand out

1) if 21, 90, 63, 82, 15, 23, 9, 22, 12 and 55, 29, 77, 47 are, when healthy, the top 9 and top 4 - the Sabres have lost 123 games due to injury. If you do the same with the Leafs - they've lost a total of 8. Yes, they've been good but extremely fortunate too!

2) in the Sabres tank year they literally tore the team down to the core. They were historically bad and it's taking time to eliminate all of the dead weight. The Leafs were bad last season but not terrible. They had some injuries that the may have extended a bit and the had terrible goaltending from Bernier. When Bernier started to play ok they found their true tank commander Garrett Sparks. He of the .893 save %.

3) maybe I'm a homer here but I believe the top 3 prospects not in the NHL right now all belong to Buffalo - Nylander, Guhle and Asplund. I'm sure leaf fans will bring up Bracco but I could argue Pu is having a better year in OHL considering their age difference

Hopefully the Sabres go kick their Ass tonight but this battle is just beginning and I like the Sabres chances long term of being the better team

A streaky year. If they can limit the losing streaks they might just do it.

Besides, make it to the playoffs or not, I'm going to root for them to win. They're *my* team.

This is an A+ level political debate non-answer :p

And hey, aside from a couple crazy people already in tank mode, I think we're all still cheering for the wins :)

the numbers say 86 or 87.  A certain small optimism along with the settling of the top 6 for a bit and an improving Jack and I'll say 91.  probably miss the playoffs but demonstrate improvement.  

Edit:  the numbers extrapolating the results since Jack returned.

Edited by Mig22

10-8-4 with Jack. 7-8-5 without him.

We're talking 50 points out of a possible 78 points to get into the low 90s.

So we need a remaining record that looks something like 23-9-7; 25-12-2; 27-10-2; 20-9-10

In other words, we can't take losses and almost can't take OT losses either.  

A lot more doom and gloom than when I used to post here. With ROR and Eichel in the lineup this team is a 95 point team based on the numbers. 

That's not even considering D injuries. 

I think I might put some money on this team making a run. 

Also Tyler Ennis is great and all but I don't want him on this team next year, hopefully he goes at the deadline. 

This is also the anthem of Buffalo Sports, at least in the last decade. If you're so convinced we won't make the playoffs, why are you bothering to watch?

I'm just looking at the standings of the league saying "oh look, the Sabres are 4th from the bottom. This makes them a basement dweller, opposed to those bubble teams sitting on the cusp of a playoff spot." I know full well I'm being pedantic about the basement/bubble scenario but this is an internet forum, ! There's no other way.

I watch because the dreamer inside of me still has hope, any given Tuesday this team can win. Maybe they put a streak together and claw up towards a playoff spot. Go Sabres.

I *hope* that we make the playoffs.  I *think* the more likely scenario will be something like the end of 2012, where we were scrambling to get in but were eliminated with just a few games left.  Ah, those were the days...

Wow - almost 5 years ago.  Time sure flies.  That was a great goal.  I remember it so well!   

Edited by Jsixspd

A lot more doom and gloom than when I used to post here. With ROR and Eichel in the lineup this team is a 95 point team based on the numbers.

That's not even considering D injuries.

I think I might put some money on this team making a run.

Also Tyler Ennis is great and all but I don't want him on this team next year, hopefully he goes at the deadline.

Is it really doom and gloom to think the team they've shown to be is the team they will continue to be?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.