GDT: Buffalo at Toronto 7:30p ET 1/17/17

pi2000

I got to watch yesterday after I got back in town, but I missed those 2 pretty bad looking losses on Thursday/Friday. I'm hoping that we play another strong game tonight, especially since it's Toronto. Apparently Toronto moved into the playoffs too. If they make the playoffs and we don't I'm going to be frustrated. They got rewarded for tanking, while we seem to be somewhat punished for it..

If we don't win this game, need to be some serious evaluation of the rebuild.    The Toronto Friggin Maple Leafs????  As Brad May pointed out during a game last season (I believe)   we just beat the Leafs constantly and all the time;  they were our b@#$%.    And in the 3rd season of a rebuild, with a big money coach on the sidelines, the Sabres better still be in charge tonight or heads should roll!   

If we don't win this game, need to be some serious evaluation of the rebuild.    The Toronto Friggin Maple Leafs????  As Brad May pointed out during a game last season (I believe)   we just beat the Leafs constantly and all the time;  they were our b@#$%.    And in the 3rd season of a rebuild, with a big money coach on the sidelines, the Sabres better still be in charge tonight or heads should roll!   

No matter what happens I don't think heads will roll. I don't think Pegs wants to be the owner of an NHL team and an NFL team and had to fire both coaches. Don't speak well to his credibility.

The first meeting this season in November - the Sabres lost in regulation 2-1 to the Leafs at home in Buffalo.   We need to even the score, and the Sabres record since the 1st of the year IS better than in the fall. Let's hope losing 2 in a row to the Leafs isn't a conversation we'll be having later tonight!  Go Sabres!!!

I got to watch yesterday after I got back in town, but I missed those 2 pretty bad looking losses on Thursday/Friday. I'm hoping that we play another strong game tonight, especially since it's Toronto. Apparently Toronto moved into the playoffs too. If they make the playoffs and we don't I'm going to be frustrated. They got rewarded for tanking, while we seem to be somewhat punished for it..

They were rewarded for hiring Babcock; we were punished for hiring Bylsma.

I'm worried the Sabres are not going to have the same level of effort and success that they had yesterday, since this is the second game of a back to back. I foresee a slow first period where we end up down by 2 and are playing catch up all night, and the final ends up 4-2 or somesuch for the Leafs.

No, if we had Babcock, they would be bitching about him instead.

Nonsense. Babcock is the best coach in the league, at worst top-3. Bylsma is bottom 10. As much as some so desperately want the complaining about Bylsma to be complaining for the sake of complaining...it isn't. The guy is a below average coach.

The first meeting this season in November - the Sabres lost in regulation 2-1 to the Leafs at home in Buffalo. We need to even the score, and the Sabres record since the 1st of the year IS better than in the fall. Let's hope losing 2 in a row to the Leafs isn't a conversation we'll be having later tonight! Go Sabres!!!

We lost, but we were the far better team in that game. I want to be the better team again, even if it isn't reflected in the final score.

Nonsense. Babcock is the best coach in the league, at worst top-3. Bylsma is bottom 10. As much as some so desperately want the complaining about Bylsma to be complaining for the sake of complaining...it isn't. The guy is a below average coach.

The numbers just don't bear out that Bylsma is a bad coach.   We can say it all we want, and we all can debate the validity of this system or that one, but to say he is bottom 10 is just an arbitrary statement.  It's an opinion.  And I am VERY confident, that this board, like every internet sports board out there, would spend buckets full of digital ink slamming whoever was coaching if there wasn't a Cup in the cabinet in the first two years AND that it was accomplished with the right style AND that it was set up to be a dynasty.  That's just what internet sports boards are for.

(also, there are tons of people like me who say just what I am saying and THOSE people are really just as full of sh** as the others.  So you don't think I'm not self-aware)

The numbers just don't bear out that Bylsma is a bad coach.   We can say it all we want, and we all can debate the validity of this system or that one, but to say he is bottom 10 is just an arbitrary statement.  It's an opinion.  And I am VERY confident, that this board, like every internet sports board out there, would spend buckets full of digital ink slamming whoever was coaching if there wasn't a Cup in the cabinet in the first two years AND that it was accomplished with the right style AND that it was set up to be a dynasty.  That's just what internet sports boards are for.

(also, there are tons of people like me who say just what I am saying and THOSE people are really just as full of sh** as the others.  So you don't think I'm not self-aware)

Which numbers are you talking about? We can talk about his career record or whatnot, but I'll go this way: he may well be a bottom-10 coach in today's NHL (possession, etc.). He may have a cup, he may have racked up a pretty good record with a couple of the top players in the game for a few years, but right now I don't see him adapting to what the NHL is today. I feel like the Sabres have an OK NHL lineup, but other than the last few weeks, they haven't been playing OK NHL games.

The numbers just don't bear out that Bylsma is a bad coach. We can say it all we want, and we all can debate the validity of this system or that one, but to say he is bottom 10 is just an arbitrary statement. It's an opinion. And I am VERY confident, that this board, like every internet sports board out there, would spend buckets full of digital ink slamming whoever was coaching if there wasn't a Cup in the cabinet in the first two years AND that it was accomplished with the right style AND that it was set up to be a dynasty. That's just what internet sports boards are for.

(also, there are tons of people like me who say just what I am saying and THOSE people are really just as full of sh** as the others. So you don't think I'm not self-aware)

We're 25th in the league in score-adjusted CF% at even strength (even his Pittsburgh teams were only decent at this metric, so it can't only be the roster). Our even strength scoring is that of the tank teams despite superior talent. We're 14th in the Eastern Conference, and 27th in the league in the standings.

You won't get an argument from me that the roster is flawed, particularly on the blue line. But I'd love a coherent evidence-based argument for why Bylsma is a good coach. Where is his value added?

Edited by TrueBlueGED

You are missing the point, which is probably my fault for not being explicit. There will always be some large percentage of posters on boards like this that will bitch about the coach, management, etc.  They will find the numbers that back up their point (and usually ignore facts that contradict their point).  Bylsma's system is unattractive to watch and it makes me as sad as anyone.

But his career win/loss and that Cup, which many are so eager to dismiss, are facts.  There is the coherent, evidence-based argument.   

Our beloved Sabres are a team that was forecasted, by just about every expert, to be a bubble team this year based on its roster versus other teams' rosters.  If at the end of the season (or before if it's clear ) they have not improved their record measurably) then sure there is an argument for firing him.  Then yes, there will be evidence that he is not a 'good coach' for this situation.  But the team is performing right where everyone thought they were going to.  

You are missing the point, which is probably my fault for not being explicit. There will always be some large percentage of posters on boards like this that will bitch about the coach, management, etc. They will find the numbers that back up their point (and usually ignore facts that contradict their point). Bylsma's system is unattractive to watch and it makes me as sad as anyone.

But his career win/loss and that Cup, which many are so eager to dismiss, are facts. There is the coherent, evidence-based argument.

Our beloved Sabres are a team that was forecasted, by just about every expert, to be a bubble team this year based on its roster versus other teams' rosters. If at the end of the season (or before if it's clear ) they have not improved their record measurably) then sure there is an argument for firing him. Then yes, there will be evidence that he is not a 'good coach' for this situation. But the team is performing right where everyone thought they were going to.

Without so many injuries, BUF could be another 6-8 points further up the standings sniffing a playoff spot.

I think Bylsma has done a fine job with what he has.

We lost, but we were the far better team in that game. I want to be the better team again, even if it isn't reflected in the final score.

Good point!   IF the team looks solid, but gets snake bit, it's a lot easier to take then an embarrassing loss such as in the Boston games, or the Islanders loss. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.