GDT: Buffalo at Tampa Bay 7:30 pm ET, 1/12/2017

Doohickie

Huge game. Can jump over Tampa with a win. A loss and last game means nothing. They dug themselves into this hole, they have to get out now.

I understand this, as long as we aren't saying before next game, after we win today, "gotta win this one now or the last win means nothing." I know we need a win streak, but we aren't going to win every game.

Division game, this is a big one.

I understand this, as long as we aren't saying before next game, after we win today, "gotta win this one now or the last win means nothing." I know we need a win streak, but we aren't going to win every game.

Division game, this is a big one.

Your last point is why I said that - I believe we are 4-7-3 against division opponents this season.

Surprising fact:  8 skaters in our lineup today have a positive +/- stat. 

Slightly less surprising:  Foligno leads that group at +5.

Last year, the only 2 regular skaters (definition being 41 games or more) with a positive were Foligno and McCabe.

Plus/minus might not be a popular stat, but it is a good team-wide indicator. We're -17 at the moment in overall goal differential (which... forgive me, I don't know... but I think that includes the shootout-winning goals, which puts us at quite the deficit). We're closing the gap to the middle. Then, we'll push to the top.

Aside: One of the things I want to see this year is Ristolainen break even on the plus/minus barrier. It means that a significant amount of time we're breaking even in 5-on-5 hockey against the other team's top lines and at important game-end times. That's dramatically better than the past few years. And he's almost up to 0 since joining up with McCabe.

Plus/minus might not be a popular stat, but it is a good team-wide indicator. We're -17 at the moment in overall goal differential (which... forgive me, I don't know... but I think that includes the shootout-winning goals, which puts us at quite the deficit). 

It includes the shootout so our actual +/- is -13 (we are 1-5 in shootouts).   Getting there.

The shake up of the lines has finally put forth some effort.  Girgensons is hot lately and Carrier has worked out well with O'Reilly.  Nothing better than creating offense when it is missing from the depth of the team.  Here's hoping Kane, Eichel, O'Reilly, Okposo and Reinhart continue to steamroll us up the standings! Tired of top 10 draft picks for sure!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.